Lawn mower battery needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new mower battery. What is the best value out there for the money? I ask because it seems like things change all the time on who makes what labled with xyz. I think they do that to keep us in a constant state of confusion.

The original lasted 7 years and I bought an el cheapo autozone battery for 19.99 and I took care of it with a battery tender and squeezed 7 years out of it but barely. It was suspect and on its last legs for a year. Just from looking around the cheapest thing I see now is around 35 up to 50.

Appreciate any opinions or advice.

As far as mower batteries go, I've had my best luck at WalMart or Tractor Supply.
If you have an Advance Auto near you, you might get a deal on line w/discount codes.
The battery that I have had the worst luck with is Deere. Never got over two years on any of the two new Deeres that I have bought and only got 1 year out of a $46. Deere battery from the dealer.

I would try and get a non Excide battery. Most people only get a few years out of them as they let them sit all winter. You did well getting 7 years out of one.

Lawn Mower batteries are the bottom of the barrel as far as profit margin so they are the cheapest made. I gave up and bought an Odyssey 5 years ago and it should be the last battery I need to buy for the mower and the next one. Don't even have to boost it in the spring.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
As far as mower batteries go, I've had my best luck at WalMart or Tractor Supply.
If you have an Advance Auto near you, you might get a deal on line w/discount codes.
The battery that I have had the worst luck with is Deere. Never got over two years on any of the two new Deeres that I have bought and only got 1 year out of a $46. Deere battery from the dealer.

Interesting, my LX277 John Deere still has its original battery in it and it is almost 10 years old. I've never taken it out, never charged it, always starts up after sitting all winter.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck

Interesting, my LX277 John Deere still has its original battery in it and it is almost 10 years old. I've never taken it out, never charged it, always starts up after sitting all winter.

You must have got the good one. Two years out of the OEM battery on a new STX38 which I replaced with a new $46 Deere which lasted l year. Purchased two Tractor Supply batteries during the next eight years for that tractor.

Bought a new X300 in 2007. OEM battery lasted 1 year. Purchased the $19. Wally World special which is still in it today. We'll see if it is still with us when I get the Tractor out this year.

Originally Posted By: nomochevys

The original lasted 7 years and I bought an el cheapo autozone battery for 19.99 and I took care of it with a battery tender and squeezed 7 years out of it but barely.
Appreciate any opinions or advice.

Go el cheapo again and use the battery tender....you will get 5 years.

Originally Posted By: cat843
I would try and get a non Excide battery. Most people only get a few years out of them as they let them sit all winter. You did well getting 7 years out of one.

Yeah I would do this too.

My Craftsman came with a Diehard that lasted ~2.5 years. I was leery and bought a Diehard Gold since I've always had luck with the auto batteries. With this battery I always removed it in the winter and desulfated the plates with the charger and topped off every month or so. It currently entered year 7 of service.

Originally Posted By: 97 GTP
My Craftsman came with a Diehard that lasted ~2.5 years. I was leery and bought a Diehard Gold since I've always had luck with the auto batteries. With this battery I always removed it in the winter and desulfated the plates with the charger and topped off every month or so. It currently entered year 7 of service.

On my 3rd year with a DieHard in my Wheelhorse, Doing ok so far.

Holy Cow! Another person with my habits. Obviously an intelligent and handsome fellow.

Wal-Mart or Tractor Supply, use a Battery Tender in the off season and you're good to go.

My 2001 John Deere GT235 has it's original battery in it. Still cranks like crazy.

I've never had a battery last that long, in anything, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back