Sunoco 94

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone still get this, and if so where? I think my area was one of the last to have it available, so it's probably gone forever, everywhere by now.
frown.gif
It was a good safeguard in the summer heat with a hard driven, 10.1:1 compression motor. It will be missed.

Where is Sopranoland? If you live in Indiana you may still get 94 at some Sunoco stations. In New Castle, Indiana, a town of about sixteen thousand people, the local Sunoco station still offers 94.

Would using octane booster with 93 octane be an option for you? If you didn't want to use octane booster all the time could you just use it during the summer?

It's no longer available in these parts.

Before they pulled the plug on it, I ran a couple tanks of it for old time's sake.

I frankly drew slightly better performance out of Amoco Ultimate 93, albeit in a turbocharged application. Consequently, I won't miss Ultra 94 THAT much.

I personally no longer run Sunoco 94 in Canada.. there's 10% ethanol.. and I notice a difference in mileage and performance.. I thought it was just me and or the climate.. but when I switched to 91 octane, I get better mileage.. for the extra $$$ for 94 WITH ethanol.. I won't waste my money and won't miss it.

It's still at every Sunoco I've visited here in Columbus in the last few months. Just saw it last week here on the NW side of the city. My lightly modded Subaru WRX owning friend swears by it, I think he'd truck it in if it weren't sold here!

Some of us are stuck with 10% ethanol in all gasoline at all stations due to EPA clean air mandates.
The Ethanol causes less polution, but contains less energy than gasoline, which translates into slightly lower MPG (all other things equal).

From what I have read, the higher octane does not have more energy (BTUs) but slower burning. The higher octane does enable more advanced timing, which can increase your MPG (or performance), IF your car's computer can make the adjustment for the higher octane.

EPA is dropping ethanol mandates.

On the octane thing dailydriver what do you drive. I have two iron headed 10:1 motors in my driveway and both are fine on 87 octane though that is what the factory tuned them for, one I have tried retuning for 93 and frankly can not tell a SOTP difference. They are NA LT1s one is cammed and such the other stock the lighter of the two cars is about 4300lbs with me so these engines see plenty of load, the one is 2.93s, 28" tire and base curb weight of 4672lbs and it does not detonate.

quote:

Originally posted by wiswind:
Some of us are stuck with 10% ethanol in all gasoline at all stations due to EPA clean air mandates.
The Ethanol causes less polution, but contains less energy than gasoline, which translates into slightly lower MPG (all other things equal).

From what I have read, the higher octane does not have more energy (BTUs) but slower burning. The higher octane does enable more advanced timing, which can increase your MPG (or performance), IF your car's computer can make the adjustment for the higher octane.

My car is a supercharged bonneville.. so it requires premium juice.. my daily commute isn't anywhere close to spirited.. and in my case ( may differ case to case obviously ) I get worse mileage with 94 with ethanol then I do on 91 without ethanol in my case

I will be out at Island Dragway in August, grewup near Belvidere the Impala guys have a gathering and I am going to go race with them.

If you have LS1 Edit play with the tuning bet you lose little to noting with say 92 octane or even lower if properly tuned. I have LT1 Edit and will switch my tuning seasonally, car was a daily driver when first cammed and all so I stepped back to 87 programming for winter and noticed no power loss. Good to see you understand the NEED to have proper programming in a computer controlled car.

quote:

Originally posted by DJ:
EPA is dropping ethanol mandates.

On the octane thing dailydriver what do you drive. I have two iron headed 10:1 motors in my driveway and both are fine on 87 octane though that is what the factory tuned them for, one I have tried retuning for 93 and frankly can not tell a SOTP difference. They are NA LT1s one is cammed and such the other stock the lighter of the two cars is about 4300lbs with me so these engines see plenty of load, the one is 2.93s, 28" tire and base curb weight of 4672lbs and it does not detonate.

It's a stock internal, lightly bolt on modded LS1 (all alloy) in an abused Z28 (read much harder driven than most people's rides on here). Given that it seems all premiums are going to have the 10-15% ethanol deal (unless you're right about the EPA), I guess I'll just stick with the BP/Amoco 93 for less $$. I only used the 94 as a hot weather failsafeguard as I push this thing past it's limits sometimes. Besides, the knock sensor program on these things will give max timing/fuel maps according to the octane used (even more critical if you've had it tuned for 94 with LS1 edit!).

quote:

Originally posted by godzuki:
Drifter420

what brand of 91 octane gives you better milage?
Just wondering.

That depends.. it seems to vary from gas stations and locale.. the one I use to frequently go to was petro canada ( thats cause of the 2 cents off a litre on the credit card )

But I found Canadian Tire premium just as cheap if not cheaper.. and I don't think they really have a winter blend thats as winterized as much as others . With Crappy Tire's Prem. I usually get bout 50km+ to a tank more. ( now before everyone jumps on and say it's my car.. I don't think so as it's tuned, plug and wires, less then 2 years ago.. tire pressure on weekly basis..air filter twice a year as I live in the country and it's dusty and I drive over 140km a day, the only thing I haven't done lately is fuel injector cleaner.. still tryin to get my hands on either toulene, or xylene)

When summer blend of gas comes back out.. I will start the whole process again. I tend to go to gas stations thats usually busier.. (maybe it's just in my head) as I think the gasoline won't have as much time to settle or soak up the moisture as much.. but I"m also weary as to when I see a tanker there.. then I stay away from that station for 3 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back