Gas/Oil mix for 4-cycle engine??

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend ask me to see if I could get his new (old stock) generator running--Campbell Hausfeld CN1200. As you would expect for a 4-cycle, it has a crankcase for oil and the owners manual is very clear about putting oil in it before operating--now the puzzle! The manual also says to use a 50:1 fuel ratio--it actually says this in several places, however the generator says to use unleaded fuel, and has no labels, decals, etc. instructing use of gas/oil mix. I've been around a lot of engines but this has me confused. I suspect it is a situation of using an already written owners manual for a 2-cycle, making modifications for the cranckcase oil. He is currently running it on gas/oil mix, and it runs good, but this could affect it's performance. It's a foreign made generator, and no one at CH seems to know anything about it. Anyone know of a small 4-cycle that requires gas/oil mix.

I would say most likely a misprint. However, i cant recall ever seeing a 2 stroke generator??

Originally Posted By: jughead500
I would say most likely a misprint. However, i cant recall ever seeing a 2 stroke generator??

Yes, there are several small (800/900 watt) generators sold by Harbor Freight, and others, that are 2-stroke. I actually have one--small but useful.

Honda EX350 2 stroke inverter generator, I have 2 of them - nothing else like it. Only 350 watts but also only 19 lbs.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I have 2 of them.

As do I. Most are generally under 1200 watts,have a few features like a 12 volt output, some even have a little nite-light. The cheapies are generally considered to be a throwaway.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I have 2 of them.

As do I. Most are generally under 1200 watts,have a few features like a 12 volt output, some even have a little nite-light. The cheapies are generally considered to be a throwaway.

I would put these in the "throw away" class--apparently chinese made. My friend has a chance to get 3 more of these, new, in a sealed box, for less than 10% of what's being offered on the internet. I'm hoping to get 1--will probably be given the honor of making sure they all run. Not sure what to do about the gas/oil question--the friend is not sure he wants to go against what the owners manual says. Thinking about recommending Amsoil at 100:1--not much oil, but many commercial lawn guys run this ratio in their 2- stroke equip. Probably will run mine on straight gas--that's what anyone would do if they didn't have that confusing owner's manual.

Shindaiwa uses 50:1 premix in their 4-strokes.

But I think that has more to do with being able to be run upside down and light weight.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Shindaiwa uses 50:1 premix in their 4-strokes.

But I think that has more to do with being able to be run upside down and light weight.

There are several 4-stroke trimmers and blowers using gas/oil mix, but none of these have crankcases with oil. They are indeed 4-strokes, with valves, but use the fuel mix to lubricate the engine. Shindaiwa and Stihl both recommend 50:1, but a lot of commercial mowers use 100:1 Amsoil--I haven't tried it--I'm a diehard 50:1 in my 2 stroke equip.

After several hours of research, the engine in this generator appears to be a chinese made 87cc 4-stroke, and is used in several applications--snowblowers (Toro), and Homelite generators to name a couple. I've looked at the operating manual for both of these, and they very clearly state to use atraight gas, "do not mix oil in gasoline"! The Campbell Hausfeld GN1200 manual appears to be in error.

Originally Posted By: Glynn
Anyone know of a small 4-cycle that requires gas/oil mix.

STIHL makes a variety of 4-stroke trimmers with a 50:1 mix requirement.

I believe they are called 4-mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back