Ford Ecoboost 2.0 engine - what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys - I haven't been reading this board for a long time, but we recently bought a Ford Fusion for my wife with the 2.0 Ecoboost engine. Poking around the site, I see some issues with gasoline showing up in UOA's, and it's thrown me for a loop. In her previous Altima, I used any old 5W-30 oil and never worried about it.

One thing I remember reading is that using synthetic oil won't really provide a safety margin either. Since this is a (relatively) uncommon engine - especially when compared to the 3.5 - what oils would you guys recommend?

Another thing I haven't found much information on is Ford's fancy oil life monitoring system. As usual, people tend to distrust them and just go with a fixed interval but is this really necessary? Does anyone know if there's some decent reliable info on this?

Thanks...

Last edited:
Personally, in a high-strung turbo, I'd never use anything other than a full synthetic. Especially in a DI turbo that puts extra fuel in the oil.

But that's just me....

Yeah, I was kind of leaning that way already...

I looked around for UOA's for this engine but I don't think I've seen any. The 3.5 Ecoboost is easy to find, but the 2.0? Not so much.

I'd read the owner's manual, see what it says, and go from there.

If it recommends a 5w-30, look for the dexos1 label on a full-synthetic oil. Those are oils designed to protect the turbo more.

Oil is a small part of the expenses of owning a car. Go for the synthetic. Don't forget your transmission. Maybe consider your power steering. After all you'r a BITOG member. Going to the dealer and never asking what they are doing to your car is a sin punishable by being chased out of town by the shadow of Bob Winters himself.

Originally Posted By: Zhukov
Hey guys - I haven't been reading this board for a long time, but we recently bought a Ford Fusion for my wife with the 2.0 Ecoboost engine. Poking around the site, I see some issues with gasoline showing up in UOA's, and it's thrown me for a loop. In her previous Altima, I used any old 5W-30 oil and never worried about it.

One thing I remember reading is that using synthetic oil won't really provide a safety margin either. Since this is a (relatively) uncommon engine - especially when compared to the 3.5 - what oils would you guys recommend?

Another thing I haven't found much information on is Ford's fancy oil life monitoring system. As usual, people tend to distrust them and just go with a fixed interval but is this really necessary? Does anyone know if there's some decent reliable info on this?

Thanks...

Zhukov,

I too would advise you to use a good synthetic oil and then begin to use your OLM. Maybe even an extended synthetic would guarantee a nice buffer for you. Try Mobil 1 or Pennzoil.

Durango

Originally Posted By: askani79705
The Mazda 0w20 could do the trick.

It calls for 5W-30.

I would do an extended OCI on this motor. Please see my 5000 mile, 95% highway,UOA. This is Mobil 1 0w40 Euro.

3910_10102539842801480_132777117_n.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if I would call 5,000 miles an extended OCI.
wink.gif

The oil still looks great - TBN of over 6? Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back