Interesting Auto-Rx test on an oldie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most know I'm the RX importer for Australia though my friend Ron pays/distributes it. I have an 89 Mazda 626 2.2 turbo (GT in the U.S I believe) that has had 3 complete RX cleans/rinses with various oils and PureONE filters (not a good choice for RX duty IMO) in the distant past. Rx maint dose every OCI since. I've been running Pennzoil Performax 100 5W50 real syn for two OCI's with a M1 10W30 top up and no RX maint dose. A while back my 194F thermostat was changed after dying by my workshop for a 180F by mistake and consequently the engine runs much colder. I just had some work done at my workshop and provided my own oil (Castrol Magnatec 10W40) as they use very thick (up to 40W70) oils. Now intermittently I get masses of white smoke from the exhaust pipe. As a long term RX importer/user I'm very surprised. I Have 140km's on this oil/RX mix and I'm trying to get my head around what's going on? On the original 3 RX cleans nothing like this happened so I'm mystfied. Still the engine is quiter/smoother already which is a nice surprise. Maybe the long runs (10-15,000kms) with 5W50 and a colder thermostat have given me some unwanted sludge/nasties. Opinions welcomed....s

Uh in my oh so unsophisticated opinion.....white smoke means you have water entering a cylinder(s) at least that is usually the case ...head gasket, or head crack....but hey I haven't been in autio repair for 25 years now ...what do i know???

smoke colour can mean different things depending on the situatiuon. if its a little oil burning then the smoke tends to be blue. if you dump 10 or 20ml of oil right down the intake of a running engine and give the throttle body a quick crack open the result is think cloud of WHITE smoke.

i would have a look at the crankcase ventilation system if i were you. it costs nothing to inspect and if you are like me, i awalys try the free things first.

I think the false seals around the valve stem seals are now gone and it's getting intermittent ingestions of oil/Auto-Rx. Very early days on this 4th full RX clean.

500mi into my 3rd ARX treatment i was welcomed with white billowing smoke one morning from the rear of the engine. it went away after 6 days. i posted here and the general consensus seems to be that the ring packs where finally cleaned out. on treatment #4 there is some smoke, but it is much less pronounced.

quote:

I think the false seals around the valve stem seals are now gone and it's getting intermittent ingestions of oil/Auto-Rx. Very early days on this 4th full RX clean.

I think you nailed it.

Most of the smoke should be bluish, especially with thick oil, and should be most present after sitting or when decelerating quickly (high intake vacuum).

Mainly half way to getting up to running temp but not on deceleration so I think my synopsis is incorrect. Really have no idea now. 200kms on this run. Smoke is more bluish now. Thinner 10W40 than I have been running.

Water level good. I'm hitting the workshop for a 194F or min 192F thermostat that I originally asked for. I'll be blocking off half the radiator area this morning until thermostat is changed. Can't trust anybody to do a job properly these days can you?

Now only smokes (a lot) after idling for a while after reaching operating temperature, none under high vacuum conditions or normal running. I can't think of a scenario that could cause this unless EGA or turbo seal problem that only happens at idle?

Perhaps the motor is running a richer fuel mixture with the lower thermostat leading to fuel dilution into the oil and or putting more fuel related volume through the crankcase ventilation system. Are you staying put with the 180 degree thermostat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back