Late model Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an '04 EX 2.4l manual five speed that I purchased new. I would classify it as one of, if not the, best cars I've ever owned. That has been a substantial number by the way. Mine was the coveted "J spec" built in Japan instead of Ohio. I drove it five years and it saw redline on the tach daily in one gear or another. Just excellent overall.

They are GREAT cars...try and get a 7.5 gen, i think the re-design looks a lot better. I would get the 4 cylinder, they are plenty peppy enough and very smooth for a 4 banger, and they use a timing chain to boot! The V6 is an excellent engine too, and SMOOTH as glass and like a rocket, but they use a timing belt and the transmissions seem to fail more in the V6 models then with the 4 cylinders. Mine has the 5 speed auto. I had it replaced at Honda with a new one at 100,000 miles. It seems to flair in between 4th and 5th gears and clucked and jerked when coming to a stop. The dealership said everything was fine, but the new one is much smoother. Dont let that alarm you, the previous owner of mine only had the fluid changed once in 95,000 miles (BAD IDEA). I let the dealership drain and refill every 10,000 miles. Mine has piston slap every morning, worse when its cold outside, seems like many K24's have it though. Hopefully it wont affect reliability in the long run. Seriously though, they are great! cars. Very rock solid and refined. And they have a timeless look to them =) I love mine. Got it used at 95,000 miles and its at 111,000 miles now. Only had 2 issues with her, the drive belt tensioner got loose and the transmission (i dont blame the car for that). I get mixed MPGS of 26-27 routinely. I want to take her to 150,000 miles or more.

I own a 2013 Honda Accord sport 4 cyl and I LOVE it. I picked one with a manual 6 speed. I only have 4000km on it, but not a drop of oil use in that time. With careful driving I'm getting 35.5 mpg (us) on this tank of gas, but usually get 33.6. For Canadians that's 6.6 l/100km or 7.0 l/100km AVERAGE fuel economy. Of coarse I've had no problems, but I also owned a 2003 Accord with excellent reliability overall, it's still running with 255,000 miles on it.
The 6 cyl isn't worth it, higher ownership cost without much difference in pickup.
Also the EX and higher packages have had a few intermittent issues with electronics, but I'm told they solved that now. As for myself, not a single problem in any way. I highly recommend this car.

Originally Posted By: IT_Prof

The 6 cyl isn't worth it, higher ownership cost without much difference in pickup.

I agree with your post in general, but "much difference in pickup"? You have to be joking. The difference between the 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder in terms of power couldn't be more night and day. Edmunds reports the 2013 Accord I4 at 7.8 seconds 0-60 and 15.8 at 91.2 mph. The Accord V6 is listed by Edmunds as 6.1 seconds 0-60 and 14.3 at 98.1 mph. That's MASSIVE.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
They are GREAT cars.... Mine has the 5 speed auto. I had it replaced at Honda with a new one at 100,000 miles. It seems to flair in between 4th and 5th gears and clucked and jerked when coming to a stop. Mine has piston slap every morning, worse when its cold outside, seems like many K24's have it though. Hopefully it wont affect reliability in the long run. Seriously though, they are great! cars. Very rock solid and refined.

I wouln't call a car that has a transmission replacement and piston slap a great car. A poor or mediocre car but not great. A great car would have none of these issues.

F.Y.I.

I own an Accord Sport I4 with the 6 speed manual transmission and it does 0-60 in 6.7 sec's - that's not a MASSIVE difference compared to the V6. What is massive, is the fact that I get 34 mpg average. I've had 0 issues with my car. It's great. I LOVE it.

Just my 2 cents.

I have a 2005 Accord with 194,000 km on it and it's been the best car I've owned. The sticker on the car said 24 miles per gallon city and 34 on the highway and I have got as high as 43mpg. I had to do brake pads once, can't remember if it was the front or back and one wheel bearing. I've read 2002 and 2008 Accords have been more trouble than most years. I never owned a Honda before and found out first hand how good they really are.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
The consensus seems to be that the last generation Accord (8th, 2008-2012) devolved and was rather ho-hum in performance, fuel economy, and reliability relative to the generally high Honda standards. By most critical accounts they are back on track with the 2013. Time will tell how the new design fares in the real world. Direct injection and a CVT are new to the 2013 redesign.

One thing that cannot be gleaned from critical reviews is how a vehicle will age, and in this regard I think the Accord, and Hondas in general, excel. My '04 4cyl with 116000 miles drives like new, has required the minimum in maintenance (oil and 1 brake job), and has averaged 31 mpg in mixed driving over the last 45k. It has been as dependable as the sun rising in the east. Zero mechanical failures.

With the use of advanced technology from conception to execution in the manufacturing process I think this is the new norm across vehicle makes and not necessarily exclusive to Honda.

I've owned a 2005 Accord EX 5MT, 2007 Accord EX-L V6 6MT Sedan, and a 2010 Accord EX 5MT Coupe and can tell you with certainty that the 8th Gen. (2008-2012) was my least favorite Honda (and I've owned a lot more Hondas and Acuras than what you see here). While my '10 coupe looked gorgeous, the issue was an interior with hard plastics, less sound insulation, lower-grade switches and knobs than I've come to expect from Honda, and several clicks and rattles. It made me think Honda is becoming 'American' with all the GM and Chrysler engineers that now work for them. The contrast is my 2007 Accord EX-L, that car simply felt like a million bucks when you drove it, much more expensive than it actually was. All of this said, the 8th Gen is as reliable as any Honda since it's still a K24 engine with their normal transmissions and it did handle extremely well. I've since driven a 2013 Accord and can say that the feeling of a more expensive car is back again.

I own a 2013 Honda Accord with the I4 and new CVT. 2500 miles and the car has been flawless as expected. MUCH quieter than my mom's 2008 Accord EX-L was. I felt the interior quality on the 8th gen wasn't bad at all, but the 9th gen is in a different class! Very nice interior, soft touch materials everywhere, smooth ride, silent engine operation, an again one of the best driving positions in the class!

First road trip tomorrow morning. Round trip should be near 500 miles. Will report back later on mpg and other driving impressions..interested to see if it will beat the wife's Altimas 38 mpg on last road trip!

Originally Posted By: RN89
I own a 2013 Honda Accord with the I4 and new CVT. 2500 miles and the car has been flawless as expected. MUCH quieter than my mom's 2008 Accord EX-L was. I felt the interior quality on the 8th gen wasn't bad at all, but the 9th gen is in a different class! Very nice interior, soft touch materials everywhere, smooth ride, silent engine operation, an again one of the best driving positions in the class!

First road trip tomorrow morning. Round trip should be near 500 miles. Will report back later on mpg and other driving impressions..interested to see if it will beat the wife's Altimas 38 mpg on last road trip!

What is cvt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back