Buy here pay here lot Freudian slip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if it is hard to read, but look at the description for the white Silverado on the right, lol.
repocab_zps1e404958.jpg

Here is the huge full size if you can't read the shrunken scan...it says "repo cab."
http://s118.photobucket.com/user/aegerar1/media/repocab_zps1e404958.jpg.html

"Drive this one!" for a month.

Repossessed vehicles are typical at "buy here, pay here's".
They often don't have a cash price on vehicle anywhere. People are only concerned with how much per month or week the payments are.
Most buy here pay here's in Columbus sell 10 year old worn out domestic junk for $75 a week. the car usually blows an engine or transmission within a few years and goes to the junkyard if it doesn't get repossessed first. You'd be better off finding a good lease deal.

Extra Clean, Extra Clean, Extra Clean!!!

They have a good detailer on staff.

If they have a good detailer, they probably have a mechanic of sorts on staff.

Probably have a wrecking yard on speed dial too and a price arrangement with them.

Customer grenades a transmission, car gets repoe'd, junkyard part is thrown in, car gets detailed and it's back out on the lot for as much as it cost the guy who had it originally. Down payments are typically the amount the lot owner has tied up in that car. It sounds like a high profit margin but this dealer has to have that detailer, mechanic, and a freakin' Ninja for a repo agent on his payroll.

I say a mechanic "of-sorts" because he is probably not certified. That's not necessarily a knock against the guy. One of the best mechanics I ever met was a barely above minimum wage Installer at Western Auto. He could fix anything usually in half the book time. He couldn't read or write so he couldn't test for his ASE Certification. Maybe severe dyslexia or something. He had served time in prison and didn't learn to read there either. Just read the service ticket or read the code scanner to him and it would get fixed. The right way first time everytime. But poor guy couldn't make tech wages because he couldn't read or write.

My Sierra was a repo.

I bought it when it was 4 years old, and it had 38,000 miles on the odometer. The original window sticker was in the glovebox, and it came from a dealer 45 miles away, and stickered new at $32,000.

Research showed that it was bought new by a retired farmer. He drove it 3 years, then traded it off. It was then bought by a guy who had it for 8 months, and it was repo'd.

I bought it from a used car dealer who had bought it from the bank at auction. He had bought it to be his "personal" vehicle... but when you're a dealer, everything is always for sale. He only had driven it for a week before he sold it to me.

And oddly enough, it has been the most reliable truck that I've owned in a long time.

LOL. They probably type in "repo" so often they got confused with "reg".
Quite a few years ago, I had a buddy who bought (on monthly payments to dealer) a car in Houston, titled and tagged it there, and then moved 800 miles away. They finally tracked him down and repoed his car, but it took awhile. By that time, the car was shot.

Maybe when they came to repo the truck, only the cab was left.
lol.gif

"Well, the VIN plate matches, winch it up..."
wink.gif

There seem to be more and more buy here , pay here places popping up locally.

There's a pretty big one across from where I work. Looks to be the same 50 cars that cycle in and out every three months.

One of the worst is a place that advertises trucks for $50-$100 a week. Some of these people you can NOT get a price out of.

I was at one of these er.. "extreme financing" lots when a relative was looking for a car. He thought he had no choice. Total waste of space, I don't know how they stay in business.

Their ad showed a car that looked pretty decent, but the other side had accident damage. What's the point, did they think we wouldn't notice?

They had about 30 cars on the lot, of which 4 were for sale. The rest needed repairs. Every car we asked about was the same answer.

One of the lucky 4, a convertible Sebring looked pretty nice, until we realized the top mechanism was fubar.

We took interest in a truck, another that was actually for sale, but they couldn't get it to start. From watching them work and listening to their kooky diagnoses, any illusions of competence were dispelled. The "mechanic" of the group looked to be in his early 20s and didn't know which way was up. The others were around the same age, it looked like a group of college kids who thought it would be fun to open a car lot.

Cars were dirty, they didn't even pick up obvious stuff like candy bar wrappers. Nothing that resembled "detailing" on this lot.

When we test drove a Subaru, it drove nice, but 20 minutes later it's transmission wouldn't go into gear. The "mechanic" started dumping partial bottles of random AT fluids into it but the transmission gods didn't bless him that day.

In the office, a wannabe salesman had his head in his hands.
I feel sorry for the cars. I could almost feel sorry for the sleazebags, but, no not really.

We waited a couple weeks, then found a private party sale for half the price and it was a better car. He had to pay it up front but seriously, much better way to go.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Probably have a wrecking yard on speed dial too and a price arrangement with them.

Customer grenades a transmission, car gets repoe'd, junkyard part is thrown in, car gets detailed and it's back out on the lot for as much as it cost the guy who had it originally. Down payments are typically the amount the lot owner has tied up in that car. It sounds like a high profit margin but this dealer has to have that detailer, mechanic, and a freakin' Ninja for a repo agent on his payroll.

I say a mechanic "of-sorts" because he is probably not certified. That's not necessarily a knock against the guy. One of the best mechanics I ever met was a barely above minimum wage Installer at Western Auto. He could fix anything usually in half the book time. He couldn't read or write so he couldn't test for his ASE Certification. Maybe severe dyslexia or something. He had served time in prison and didn't learn to read there either. Just read the service ticket or read the code scanner to him and it would get fixed. The right way first time everytime. But poor guy couldn't make tech wages because he couldn't read or write.

My future son-in-law works at a used car lot and this is exactly how they do it. He and I went to a car auction a couple of months back and I was amazed at the junk he would buy - basically paying a little more than scrap value for the car. Motors knocking, transmissions grinding, you name it, he would grab it. After the auction, we started transporting the cars to the lot. If it would run, we would drive it, if not, we would tow it. He told me on some "not to worry if it overheated, we're going to drop a used motor in this one."

Behind the "office," (a double wide trailer), sits a lean to shed with no walls and a dirt floor where they do all their work. They have a running deal with a local scrap yard for engines and trannys. They were working on a Toyota that had several of the spark plug holes stripped out and were putting inserts in the holes. I asked if they informed the buyers of all these "up grades." He didn't even answer me but gave me a "are you out of your mind" look. They also have a teenage kid who gives them a good wash and wax and scrubs the interior, (after the interior "wash," the car is parked in the sun with the windows almost rolled up. For a while, the windows will be "frosted" with moisture, but that "cooks out" in a day or two). Then they spray the interior heavily with "Fabreeze" and they go out on the lot. If seats are torn or ripped, once again it's to the junk yard for a different set of seats. If they can't get an exact match, they'll buy a set that are "close," (light blue verses dark blue, brown verses beige, grey verses black). The unsuspecting buyer, (say a 17 year old teenager looking for his first car) has no idea what's been done to the car and thinks only of the "75 dollar a week" payment.

Another "trick" they use is to buy when the prices are down at the auction, (typically late summer) and hold the cars till right before tax return time when everybody is getting a tax refund and prices are up. If they have a car that they're having a hard time repairing or simply haven't gotten around to yet, they'll run it back through the auction and double or even triple their money, (they might have paid 500 on the car and now will sell it for 1000 bucks or even 1500).

And yes, they do have their own "Repo guy." I met him. He's huge. 6 feet, five inches tall, 300 pounds of muscle. He was happy the day I met him and he didn't look happy, I can only imagine what he might look like when he is not happy.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

My future son-in-law works at a used car lot and this is exactly how they do it. He and I went to a car auction a couple of months back and I was amazed at the junk he would buy - basically paying a little more than scrap value for the car. Motors knocking, transmissions grinding, you name it, he would grab it. After the auction, we started transporting the cars to the lot. If it would run, we would drive it, if not, we would tow it. He told me on some "not to worry if it overheated, we're going to drop a used motor in this one."
Behind the "office," (a double wide trailer), sits a lean to shed with no walls and a dirt floor where they do all their work. They have a running deal with a local scrap yard for engines and trannys. They were working on a Toyota that had several of the spark plug holes stripped out and were putting inserts in the holes. I asked if they informed the buyers of all these "up grades." He didn't even answer me but gave me a "are you out of your mind" look. They also have a teenage kid who gives them a good wash and wax and scrubs the interior, (after the interior "wash," the car is parked in the sun with the windows almost rolled up. For a while, the windows will be "frosted" with moisture, but that "cooks out" in a day or two). Then they spray the interior heavily with "Fabreeze" and they go out on the lot. If seats are torn or ripped, once again it's to the junk yard for a different set of seats. If they can't get an exact match, they'll buy a set that are "close," (light blue verses dark blue, brown verses beige, grey verses black). The unsuspecting buyer, (say a 17 year old teenager looking for his first car) has no idea what's been done to the car and thinks only of the "75 dollar a week" payment.
Another "trick" they use is to buy when the prices are down at the auction, (typically late summer) and hold the cars till right before tax return time when everybody is getting a tax refund and prices are up. If they have a car that they're having a hard time repairing or simply haven't gotten around to yet, they'll run it back through the auction and double or even triple their money, (they might have paid 500 on the car and now will sell it for 1000 bucks or even 1500).
And yes, they do have their own "Repo guy." I met him. He's huge. 6 feet, five inches tall, 300 pounds of muscle. He was happy the day I met him and he didn't look happy, I can only imagine what he might look like when he is not happy.

LOL
in true BITOG style, what oil they use in the cars motors/transmissions?
me lucky i don't drink coffee, otherwise will be all over keyboard.
LOL

33.gif
Oh tax time!

Most of the year, I would just install Payment Protection devices. (you don't pay your note, you don't get the code and your car doesn't start) But tax time! The lot would add on stereos and amps...usually junk. Legacy, Pyramid, etc... $200 in combined junk for only $700! But that's only an extra $7.00 a week
shocked.gif
I guess those are the people that keep Rent-A-Center in business.

My future son-in-law works at a used car lot and this is exactly how they do it.

I didn't quote the whole post, but you let your daughter marry a guy like that?

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl

My future son-in-law works at a used car lot and this is exactly how they do it.

I didn't quote the whole post, but you let your daughter marry a guy like that?

What can I do, she's 25 and "they're in love."

Geez...I wish I knew THAT guy! Heck, my uncle might have hired him as a mechanic! (Of course, my uncle wasn't "certified" until he had been wrenching for a living for about 15 years.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back