oil additive for noisy valve train

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by JR:
Is that a suggestion to use ATF or just a comment about the good old days? I am asking since I to have the same problem and question. I have a 1989 Ford Ranger withe the 2.9 litre V-6 and to have heavy lifter noise on start up. And lifter noise while running to. Warm and cooled. I have tried a veriety of weights and brands and still have the same amount of noise. I am planning on using some 5W-20 I have on the self in it. I will be changing the oil in the next coupe of days. I was wondering what I could use that is availible at any store. I also should add that the engine has only 130K miles on it. It doesn't use any or leak any. I have to back on out of here for now. Thanks in advance for the support.

If you are changing your oil in a few days...why not try a "diesel oil" ..don't worry they work very very well in gas powered vehicals...Cheveron Delo...shell rottella T and Mobile Delvac 1300 have great cleaning power and the weight is usually 15w 40 ..being as it is thicker it may help to quit the noises...

haccofficer,
you shouldnt rely on a additive to fix a mechanical problem. if youre valve train is noisy there is a mechanical problem that should be fixed. if youre lifters are hydraulic then perhaps one is intermittenly sticking. best bet to CURE the problem is to find whats wrong and fix it or replace it.
if its a mechanical setup, then adjust the lifters to quiet them down. if they still make noise after adjustment, look at other parts like worn rocker arms, buckets, etc. you didnt say what type of engine it is and weither or not its mechanical or hydraulic, ohc or pushrod, etc etc etc.... so i have to be very vague about my recomendations.

bottom line, fix whats worn out or mis adjusted.

quote:

you shouldnt rely on a additive to fix a mechanical problem

I don't think that quote applies to some of us who must drive older vehicles. For example, just 3 posts above yours, someone writes

quote:

I have a 1989 Ford Ranger withe the 2.9 litre V-6 and to have heavy lifter noise on start up

That person could easily spend more than the 17 year old vehicle is worth or even will be worth after the expense of having the lifters replaced. If he can get quieter lifters using ARX, another brand of oil, or other additives for a few dollars, I say go ahead. Many others claim these changes helped or even cured the noise problem.

The alternative is the scrap yard and purchasing another used vehicle with its own problems along with the problem of being able to afford it at all.

Ditto on what trynew said.
We have sent many, many travelers happily on their way for the cost of a qt. of ATF from a garage along I-80 in PA. Most of them just plain folk w/older cars who thought their engine was broken.

quote:

Originally posted by deepsquat:
If you are changing your oil in a few days...why not try a "diesel oil" ..don't worry they work very very well in gas powered vehicals...Cheveron Delo...shell rottella T and Mobile Delvac 1300 have great cleaning power and the weight is usually 15w 40 ..being as it is thicker it may help to quit the noises...

Yeah, um, is their cleaning power that outstanding that you should only leave them in a few days? I've run HDEO for 2 OCI's and haven't noticed THAT much difference.
dunno.gif

Haccofficer. I just tried 1/2 bottle of
CD-2 Oil Detergent in my daughter 97 Pont.
Sunfire with 187,000 km on it. It made a
ticking,light knocking sound for the last
5 years. I've always wanted to try CD-2 so
I decided why not give it a try. All I have
to say is "holy cr@#$%". The oil was changed
4 months ago but only had 2000km(1200mi) on
the oil. It was dark brown and I couldn't see
the hash lines on the dip stick. Now the oil
looks clean and I can see the hash lines. Best
of all, the noise is gone. This is with 1/2 a
bottle. I put the other 1/2 in my wifes 99
Cavalier. I might just use this product as