So they spec SL..

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005, built and spec'd in 4/2005 for 5W-20 SL. Presumably, I'll be running SM-rated oil. So what's my additive to restore the difference between SL and SM as I go along? Or was SL spec'd simply because SM wasn't out yet, and it makes no difference?

Was there an additive pack in SL that the manufacturer built for that isn't part of the SM makeup?

VSOT, yes, well, I shouldn't have put the question the way I did. I actually do add an ounce/qt (or did when I changed out of the factory swill at 500 miles on the clock), and will again when I dump this for Havoline 5W-20 at the 2000 mile mark.

What I was fishing for was the skinny on what's in SL-rated, that isn't in SM? Or vice-verse?

It was my understanding that as you go up the alphabet, the oil gets better, so using any SM oil is better than a SL oil. Looks as thought the SM's are leaning away from so much moly and going with boron.

What's boron do? Havoline is loaded with moly in the SM version, isn't it?

I just bought Motorcraft syn-blend 5W-20 for the second change on this thing. In the VOA, it doesn't have much moly, 33ppm, but lots of zinc, calcium and boron. Was wondering about that boron, and wondering if the moly is something useful to boost after all..

Thanks Mola!
cheers.gif

Specialty formulations, eh?

What do you guys formulate?

SM is backward compatible, like every API oil designation. So essentially, if you use SM, your using an oil that qualifies as SL but is better than SL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back