filling holes in bumper from license plate mount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! I'm in the process a finalizing a new vehicle purchase. The dealer has finally been able to locate one that meets my specs, but it'll have to be transferred from a dealer in an adjacent state (Ohio) which requires both front and rear license plates. We're still trying to find out if the vehicle already has a front plate mount installed, but if it does, I wanted to get some input from you on options for plugging the two holes.

The dealer says they can remove the mount and insert a couple of black plugs. This is unlikely to be acceptable to me given that the vehicle is silver.

Another option is to have the dealer's body shop remove the bumper, fill the holes, sand, buff, and paint for a cost of $500. (If I accept this particular vehicle knowing that it has the holes, I've already factored that cost into the deal, so the cost isn't a big concern.)

Are there any DIY options that produce good results?

Taking it to an independent body shop and seeing if they can do a quality job for less money is also a possibility, which will leave a little extra money in my pocket. But my primary concern/focus is it being done right and looking perfect, meaning that it's not even noticeable.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Leave it on and put one of those 70s/80s vanity type plates on it.Or get the dealer to offer an advertising discount and display the dealer plate forever.

Get a couple of "Christmas tree" trim clips from the "Help" section of an auto parts place.

Then get some Scotchcal trim vinyl and wrap the heads of the clips in a suitable shade of silver. Push the clips into the bumper. Done.

Sign-making shops should be able to give you a few scrap pieces of non-mirror silver film for free. The silver might not be a perfect match, but it should be close enough.

http://www.3m.com/product/information/Scotchcal-Graphic-Film.html

On my car I just filled the holes with epoxy and then painted it with a tube of that one-step paint matching nick filler stuff.

From anything over 6 inches away its basically impossible to tell the difference and it cost me well, basically nothing.

All depends on how thorough you wanna be. I think completely repainting the bumper is sorta overkill unless the thing is a show car.

I found some nearly flush plastic hole plugs at Lowes that fit the screw holes where the plate holder was installed on my Trailblazer. The plugs were already a close match white, but I topped them off with a coat of factory touchup paint. Almost invisible. Just 4 slight bumps.

If it`s a brand new vehicle,it shouldn`t have any pre-drilled holes. One of the techs from the shop has to drill them if the customer wants a front plate installed.

how are they going to deliver the car are they going to drive it? or flat bed it?
If they drive it they might beat it really bad most are young kids...

Try these -

BumperPlugs.com

Just saved you $475
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
I found some nearly flush plastic hole plugs at Lowes that fit the screw holes where the plate holder was installed on my Trailblazer. The plugs were already a close match white, but I topped them off with a coat of factory touchup paint. Almost invisible. Just 4 slight bumps.

Used these plugs from Lowes for the front of my 08 Malibu, alittle touch up paint and you're good to go.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
I need those too, the holes in my BMW bumper a are so small, nothing i looked at Lowes seemed to fit - and what happened to the WHITE pincs? (my bmw is white).
I used to find some great fitting ones for the tbird bumper holes, but this one is much rickier due to size
frown.gif

One can search PLASTIC PUSH RIVETS online and get overwhelmed - ugh! i guess I need to be patient and measure the hole diameter and order the closest size online...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I need those too, the holes in my BMW bumper a are so small, nothing i looked at Lowes seemed to fit - and what happened to the WHITE pincs? (my bmw is white).
I used to find some great fitting ones for the tbird bumper holes, but this one is much rickier due to size
frown.gif

One can search PLASTIC PUSH RIVETS online and get overwhelmed - ugh! i guess I need to be patient and measure the hole diameter and order the closest size online...

BumperPlugs.com

^ yeah i know of these. (Thanks, though)

but those need drilling the bumper further, and I am not very comfortable with it.

AND the idiots who drilled the existing holes messed up on one side and that side has TWO tiny holes next to each other -GRRR! i guess they weren't level or something the 1st time, so they drilled a 2nd one to level the 2 sides
frown.gif

Bumper plugs won't work in that case I think...the more I look at it, my only choice might be using some type of fiberglass filler/bondo and filling the holes and apply touch up paint...

I'm from Ohio and every state that surrounds us doesn't have a front license plate.
There is a bill in the Ohio legislature to eliminate the front plate but it probably wont go anywhere. An Ohio state highway patrol spokeswoman stated something dumb on the matter: When we see a car without a front license plate, we have to question if the car is stolen.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm from Ohio and every state that surrounds us doesn't have a front license plate.
There is a bill in the Ohio legislature to eliminate the front plate but it probably wont go anywhere. An Ohio state highway patrol spokeswoman stated something dumb on the matter: When we see a car without a front license plate, we have to question if the car is stolen.

Yes, it is a well-known fact that all cars from Pennsylvania are stolen.

Also, when I steal cars in Ohio, the first thing I do is take off the front plate.

Curses, foiled again !

Originally Posted By: milkboy
Try these -

BumperPlugs.com

Just saved you $475
wink.gif

Looks like it may be a good option if I need them. Thanks!

I've found a number of threads in various forums where guys have created the same basic thing themselves using black plugs that you can purchase from Lowes and some color-matched touch-up paint. But $33 shipped for the BumperPlugs isn't that much and would have have perfect finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back