Need assistance on oil filter brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day BITOG'ers.

I finally took the plunge and created an account to Rockauto.com recently and bought some really nice Pronto Cabin/engine air filters for both my vehicles.
I'm looking to purchase 10x oil filters for both my vehicles in the near future since my stash is down to 2 (both vehicles use identical oil filters). So I checked out rockauto and oh my
shocked2.gif
, there are a lot of filters at such low prices, I was drooling all over my keyboard.
I've "filtered" my choices down to 3 brands and I like to hear your opinions on them.
  • Mann Filters
  • Denso Filters
  • Wix Filters
Not in any particular order. Which of those 3 should I go with? or if there is another brand that is really good that I did not mention, please feel free to mention. I know Wix is a great brand but twice the cost of the other two, which I know nothing about.
I plan on changing the filters when I change the oil, at 7500 mile OCI using PP for next oil change then switching to Maxlife full syn.
Thanks in advance.

If you're looking for quality, you have listed 3 high quality filters, I honestly couldn't put a ranking on them.

In terms of pricing, you honestly won't go wrong with any of them.
However, I would choose the denso or Wix, probably Wix moreso because I like their other products and have used them more extensively than Denso.

Originally Posted By: mrplavick
Mann filters are many times re-branded Purolators. Keep that in mind when assessing value.

+1

You can probably see them in person at your local Advance Auto parts. Heck, if you really want to try them, price them out by buying online and using one of Advance's ridiculous discount codes and see if it's the same or cheaper than Rock Auto.

I've eyeballed and handled them. From just looking at them it appears the more common US/Japanese part numbers are rebranded Purolators (made in the USA), but the part numbers for European vehicles are more exotic imported examples. The one for my girlfriend's Beetle is made in Germany, for example, and is clearly very different from the Purolator clones.

I just put a Denso on my Sonata. It's made in Thailand and appears pretty good quality. It has a silicone ADBV. It's causing some tapping on this engine, but this engine is known not to like certain filters. I'd buy Denso again for sure, just not for the Sonata.

Wix, well, all one ones I've used are pretty darn high quality.

I'm a big fan of RA. In fact, I've placed 8 orders at RA so far this year. But, I often find filters are only a really good deal for me when I add them to an existing order and they ship from the same warehouse, meaning there's generally little (or no) additional shipping cost. I personally like to try different brands, so I'm often not interested in buying enough filters of one kind to justify the shipping on just filters alone.

In europe Mann filters are made in germany and oem manufactorer for mostly german car makes.

It Is considered high qualety.

If Bosch or Purolator is available, I'd consider those too.

Originally Posted By: mrplavick
Mann filters are many times re-branded Purolators. Keep that in mind when assessing value.

Thanks for that bit of information
thumbsup2.gif

Since both my vehicles are Japanese, I am leaning more toward the Denso and give them a try. It's odd that the Genuine Toyota filters I got from the dealer is not a Denso, at least it doesn't look like the one shown on Rockauto.

As for bosch and purolators, they don't carry purolators and I'll look into the Bosch. Thanks for all the replies!
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I'd buy OEM from toyota. you can get them at a reasonable price from amazon. however, denso and wix should be good.

Originally Posted By: EricF
If you're looking for quality, you have listed 3 high quality filters, I honestly couldn't put a ranking on them.
I agree w/Eric. Your engine will NOT know the difference.

you can still find the old Denso Japan made Toyota branded filters, they are quite well made.

the part number for the most common size Japanese-made Denso that fits many Toyota/Lexus vehicles is 90915-20004

these filters are still available online if you hunt around, google that Toyota p/n

PS - for a German car, I find that the Mahle brand are often even better made on the inside than Mann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back