Cruze Diesel hitting dealer lots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the Chevy Cruze Diesel is now for sale. What dexos2 oils are out there on the market in the US and Canada? Does Mobil make the ACDelco dexos2 oil like they do the ACDelco dexos1?

2014_Chevrolet_Cruze_Diesel_engine.jpg

Want one. Hopefully they put it in the Buick regal and offer it with an MT. A Cadillac ATS would be good too but less my style.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Want one. Hopefully they put it in the Buick regal and offer it with an MT. A Cadillac ATS would be good too but less my style.

I like the idea, but there's way too much technology (read: more junk to fail) ... combined with an A/T.

I'd like to see it in manual.

Any idea on amount of oil it needs and OCI? The Dexos2 list looks pretty foreign to me. I know the Mobil 1 M 5W-40 we put in our Sprinters is about $12 per liter. The OCI for the Sprinter has moved to 16,000 miles for 2013.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Here is the dexos2 list from GM:

http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands/dexos2licensedbrands.html

I know about that list. About 95% of those oils are for the rest of the world, not North America. I want to know what oils you can buy at an auto parts store here in North America. This will be the first GM car needing a dexos2 spec oil in NA. The diesel Duramax still requires a CJ-4 oil.

It looks like the diesel will only come with the auto.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Finklejag

I know about that list. About 95% of those oils are for the rest of the world, not North America. I want to know what oils you can buy at an auto parts store here in North America. This will be the first GM car needing a dexos2 spec oil in NA. The diesel Duramax still requires a CJ-4 oil.

frown.gif

Castrol Edge and M1 ESP should be pretty easy to come by, no?

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I like the idea, but there's way too much technology (read: more junk to fail) ... combined with an A/T.

I don't see it as that much new tech. Much of the tech is already out there, and I don't see a huge difference from a gas engine with catalyst and o2 sensors all over the place.

Diesels have had EGR since the late 70s. Ditto with turbos. They've proven far more long-lived and reliable than any gas engines.

The new stuff takes some of that away, but IMO still comparable to gas.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

frown.gif

Castrol Edge and M1 ESP should be pretty easy to come by, no?

We don't have Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP or Castrol Edge 5W-40 Mid SAPS over here.

I found this about Opel testing their diesel/auto combo over here.

AUTOMATIC DEVELOPMENT - TEACHING FROM THE NEW WORLD

Conclusion after recent testing in the United States: re-learned a lot. Some of our findings are relevant for the series. Thus, the Opel customer benefits from the fact that we belong to the development of a composite "global player". Here is an example:

Our test group with U.S. developers, my German diesel engines colleagues and myself as chief engineer Automatic transmission were five prototypes maturity around 80 percent, and two reference vehicles. The exact prescribed route from Milford to Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania has line profiles that simply do not exist in this intensity in this country. Also on our established test facilities in Dudenhofen or horse box we can not reproduce it.

Particularly enlightening for me was the interaction with the aggregate of our cruise on the "Rolling Hills" in the Appalachian Mountains . These extremely elongated, different steep ascents and descents promoted a phenomenon evident that we had not noticed until then - all the calculations, simulations, bench testing and field testing in local clubs notwithstanding.

With this knowledge I was able to arrange for the proper optimization of the automatic transmission software in a team. The customer so we bring a gain in comfort. More unfortunately, I can not say today. Once the overall development is ready to go, I will go into more detail here on our new-generation units functionality.

Previously we made a Insignia Mule valuable experience in the rush hour traffic of Chicago - a real let down for man and machine. From this date are the cell phone shots.

Testfahrt_USA_Insignia.jpg

I don't see it as that much new tech. Much of the tech is already out there, and I don't see a huge difference from a gas engine with catalyst and o2 sensors all over the place.

Diesels have had EGR since the late 70s. Ditto with turbos. They've proven far more long-lived and reliable than any gas engines.

Do a search for Ford 6.0 Liter turbos and EGR cooler. My 5.4 Liter Ford gas engines are much more reliable than the 6.0 Diesel POS.

Originally Posted By: Danno

Do a search for Ford 6.0 Liter turbos and EGR cooler. My 5.4 Liter Ford gas engines are much more reliable than the 6.0 Diesel POS.

This is generally true. Though with the upgraded head studs (on the earlier engines) and an EGR delete, the 6.0L was reasonably reliable. The EGR system on that engine was the crux of most of its issues. Caused the coolant to boil and plug the filter, which then restricted flow, which further exasperated the problem. Many mechanics would replace the cooler and not the filter. Many owners didn't know their coolers were leaking....etc.

In comparison the 5.4L just "works". Though if we are talking about the 2V, it might launch a plug or two during that process
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Danno
EGR delete...hmmm.

Removing emissions equipment doesn't fly on a major (call it high visibility) commercial fleet.

No, but it can be done so that it looks like the components are still working
wink.gif
It doesn't throw a CEL either.

We don't have Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP or Castrol Edge 5W-40 Mid SAPS over here.

The Castrol Edge Professional OE might be a possibility at certain select dealers, but that's far from wide availability, I must say.

Originally Posted By: LotI
frown.gif

And it's porky at 3475 pounds

shocked2.gif
That is more than 600lbs heavier than the Corolla.

I know about that list. About 95% of those oils are for the rest of the world, not North America. I want to know what oils you can buy at an auto parts store here in North America. This will be the first GM car needing a dexos2 spec oil in NA. The diesel Duramax still requires a CJ-4 oil.:(

I don't know the answer to your question but have you e-mailed Mobil USA?
Their Mobil Super 3000 5W-30 seems like a likely candidate.
I'm curious about this oils spec's. I suspect the HTHSV will be less than 3.5cP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back