Pump shotgun or Taurus Judge for home defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which do you favor and why?

The shorter Taurus Judge & S&W Governor have some advantages when clearing doorways and rooms. But what about the pump actions intimidation factor? The length of the shotgun would be a bit of a down side when clearing doorways compared to a Judge/Governor.

Thoughts?

Buy a pump 12 gauge with the shortest legal barrel you can. Buy some high brass shells loaded with #4 shot. I would avoid buck in a house as it will got through walls.

The Taurus is probably best used against snakes or as a car gun to fend off carjackers. After all, nobody wants a face full of shot, even from a short barrel revolver!

Quote:
The shorter Taurus Judge & S&W Governor have some advantages when clearing doorways and rooms.

Not necessarily. The revolver is long, which allows bad guys to have a lot of leverage on the gun and makes it easier to take it way from you.

I would look into an 18" 20 ga. pump.

If you live in NY:

Call the police and hope they show up in time (which they likely won't) ... or jump out of your 3rd story window.

Under NO circumstances are you allowed to defend yourself.

Shotgun. Ballistic for judge/gov are just not up to task of HD in my opinion. If you want a handgun, go for a 357 7-shot s&w with 3-4" barrel.

For your first gun, and this sounds like maybe your first? I'd recommend a HD combo 870 or mossy 500. Spend a a few afternoons at trap range and get some training. You'll have a short barrel for HD and a standard barrel for other use. Very versatile, and if you ever need your firearm for HD, then you'll have one your very familiar with and can get the job done. You can always add a sidearm later. Shotshells are easier to find right now than pistol cartridges as well.

I know my local range does not allow judge or governor due to safety reasons. If you can't practice and run drills with a gun, how are you going to be proficient enough to protect yourself and family? That is on top of the fact that there is not enough lead/energy out of a very short barrel 410. If you want a hand gun, stick with a 357 or 45 long colt revolver. The 357 is nice because you can start training with 38spl and work up to 357.

One more thing....in a dark quiet room the sound of a shotgun chambering a shell is deafening. Hopefully you got the drop on the bad guy, because after he hears that "sound"....it's over.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
Which do you favor and why?

The shorter Taurus Judge & S&W Governor have some advantages when clearing doorways and rooms. But what about the pump actions intimidation factor? The length of the shotgun would be a bit of a down side when clearing doorways compared to a Judge/Governor.

Thoughts?

Having thought about my post, I feel I need to add something after reviewing your OP.

In a true HD situation, you won't be 'clearing rooms' or 'intimidating anyone'. You will be retreating to a defensible position if leaving the house is not practical. At that position if your threat persists, you will need a weapon, and the training to use that weapon, which will stop the threat to you and your family. This requires a number of factors to be effective. Once you have identified factors such as reliability, accuracy, energy, etc then you can make a decision that will hopefully be effective should the need arise.

If you live in close proximity to neighbors give some thought to a slug passing through not only your walls, but the next 2-3 occupied structures of your neighbors before it come to rest.

A shotgun is not only more effective (big plus to sound of chambering), but also much less lethal to your neighbors.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Buy a pump 12 gauge with the shortest legal barrel you can.

^ this

if you only have one home defense weapon, this is exactly what to have

you will never even need to use it, every criminal knows that "pump shotgun racking a shell" sound and they will run like a scalded dog!

If your life depends on it, you will do research.
If your life depends on it, you will train.

This is a site that takes many days to read though.
However, it is a very well written and analyzed site relating to firearm myths, and penetration studies.

I find it very interesting how many myths that have no basis on reality have become "common knowledge". This goes double for anything related to firearms.

Know your options, know the laws of the land, know what you are capable of, and what you choose to defend yourself with is capable of.
Your life may depend on it.

For your reading pleasure:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/

+1 on the Shotgun. So many good ammo choices to match your exact home setup needs.

A 5 round revolver of any caliber is of no use to me other than a range toy.

I'm more fond of a high cap 9mm than a Judge. My CZ SP-01 Shadow with a 26 round mag says "Go ahead, bring the whole crew to break in!" Multiple attackers? Attackers on drugs? You may need more than 5 shots.

12 gauge. 00 buck. Do the research. 00 buck does great things. #4 does not penetrate far enough to kill reliably.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
One more thing....in a dark quiet room the sound of a shotgun chambering a shell is deafening. Hopefully you got the drop on the bad guy, because after he hears that "sound"....it's over.

I don't mean to be rude, but this is pure nonsense. Times have a changed! If someone is out to harm you, that sound as intimidating as it is, will not change the vast majority of ill will doers mindset. Combat is just that, a mindset.

#4?? Not a very good choice for home SD. Moss 500 or Rem 870 18" barrel 12GA very cheap and reliable as heck. They thump your shoulder but work very well. Scattergun Technologies has an overpriced, but excellent 870 version that is top notch. You pay for it though, and it has one of the most important components of any HD battery--a light!!

Hornady TAP (civilian) is a very good HD round. Less flash than most other civilian available 12GA 00 buck rounds. Dependable and consistent as well.

At home, never ever, ever, did I say ever? reach for any handgun no matter what caliber if you have availability of a 12GA or an AR.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
If you live in close proximity to neighbors give some thought to a slug passing through not only your walls, but the next 2-3 occupied structures of your neighbors before it come to rest.

A shotgun is not only more effective (big plus to sound of chambering), but also much less lethal to your neighbors.

Sure do need to think about over penetration if you have close neighbors...BUT you'll probably be surprised to know in general a 9mm FMJ from a 4" handgun barrel will penetrate more sheetrock walls than a 55gr 5.56 SGK out of a 14.5 barrel will.

Intimidation .....I define that as nine. 33 Cal pellets taking everything a bad guy needs to live right out his back. That racking noise just lets him know you aren't prepared.

True, if somebody is out to get you personally, your dead. Because bad guy will be a pro. How often does that occur? But a common bad guy ain't a pro, and like I said, if you jack one in, that guy will either run, stop or turn around. Then it's up to you.

The "i wish" home defense gun:

saiga12_2_1440.jpg

They used to be purchasable for a reasonable price, but we all know what happened.

What I meant was; Random acts of violence certainly occur but not at the rate media would have us believe. Almost always the bad guy has a working knowledge of you and what he wants to take form you. Most will say it's not ever personal. But when they endeavor to take what you have the sound of a 12GA racking isn't a deal breaker (assuming they are armed as well).

Random acts of violence are what sells news stories. They are truly what strikes fear in all of us. They sure as heck do happen but because of the media coverage of them we feel like we are under seige and that these acts are the norm. Not true. Most of the bad guys, when they talk tell us they knew A, B, C, D, but didn't expect any resistance and when that resistance was present they "acted" as often is the term in interviews....as if they were the victim. That is the mentality of a lot of bad guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back