ARX/LC question... Smell after ARX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure how to word the subject.

I just finished a 1,500 mile ARX/3,000 mile rinse (no LC in either). I used MC 5w-20 for the ARX and Havoline 5w-20 for the rinse.

Today I changed out the rinse oil and put in MC 5w-20 with 5 oz. of LC.

Bottom line, the oil sticks. It smells kind of burnt? This was just after starting the truck and running it to check for leaks and then the oil level. I'm going to keep an eye on the level and smell to see what happens.

I was just wondering if anyone else has seen/smelled this?

Thanks,
Brian

EDIT: The MC or LC didn't smell any different before they were put in the truck.

same here. it smelled like an overheated engine to me. gotta be the liquified crap off o f the inside of the engine.

LC does a great job of cleaning off varnish. This is what the smell is. Auto-Rx will clean out all the carbon and sludge but IMHO LC is better at cleaning varnish. This is what happened in my BMW. I added LC and it started smelling like burnt oil after about 50 miles.

You don't mix chemistrys one after another. Auto-Rx cleans out solvents and the remains of Auto-Rx left on metal is cleaning them out. Varnish is cosmetic and does not have a thing to do with performance. Over time Auto-Rx will clean varnish stains, more importantly it will keep performance at top levels when you use ARX maintenance plan you never have to clean your engine again.

The rinse cycle is 2000 miles, suggest you rinse again with non synthetic oil. Please follow Auto-Rx instructions and smell issue should be gone.

I agree with ya shavenstringer.

The original poster followed the AutoRX instructions 100%; why the instruction deal (reading) comes up ever time is beyond me.

The Step 3 and Step 4 where again completed correctly by the original poster (as posted); really 1 to 5 where completed correctly as posted. The instructions on Auto RX website do not say do 2 rises phases or 2 rises are needed.

Thats what its sounds like to me. So if we use LC we will need to use Auto-Rx to clean it out since LC is a solvent? I'm getting confused here.

My apology 3000 mile rinse is adequate this "smell" is from
oil chemistry and it's reaction to solvent chemistry. Drop this oil and rinse again. If you want to use a solvent do it after rinse.

Ok, he has already completed the rinse phase (3000 miles). Why does he need to dump his current oil and rinse again? Did the first rinse not do its job? Are there supposed to be 2 rinse phases?
confused.gif

Terry,
I plan to use LC in my M50 2.5 liter engine after I finish the second arx rinse in my 95 BMW. It is still cleaning out gunk. Runs better and better.

Been also using FP60 but plan to use FP3000 when available.

shavenstringer,

What Frank was refering to was getting rid of the oil odor from the solvent chemistry is to use another rinse.

Daryl

Terry wrote >
> Be careful how you read my comments: Terry said;
> "I have not used both products in tandem and am
> reluctant to do it as I suspect the harsher
> solvents in LC will attack the cleaning
> capabilites of the Auto-RX. NOTE : I have not
> tested that theory at all."
> My CUSTOMERS have decided to use both at the
> same time on a limited basis. I have not
> formally tested the concept.

You did specifically say:

"As far as using both it can be done safely based on our testing ( not funded by either company)."

in this post:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=002191;p=1#000002

You also suggested that using LC after the use of ARX was reasonable in various posts which was the point I was trying to make (i.e., that back-to-back use is reasonable and some of your customers have even used them together without issue).

Please correct me on either comment if you believe I am misquoting or improperly repeating what you said.

> RichD, Auto-RX is Franks livelihood, please show
> some insight and wisdom about publicly
> castigating this fine product and its inventors
> comments.

Rereading my post, I don't believe I castigated the product or anything remotely like that. What I said about Frank was that "A little bit of editing, spell checking and more carefully constructed sentences would go a long way I believe." which I still believe to be reasonable suggestion in light of many comments and the confusion I have read surrounding ARX and comments made by Frank.

Personally, I have no vested interest either way. It was merely a constructive suggestion to better support ARX's customer service. Businesses are judged by their ability to respond to customer inquiries in an accurate, intelligent and easily understood fashion. I see negative comments on BITOG every day when a business responds to an inquiry with a canned response or in a poor fashion that doesn't address the question or the response is incorrect, I certainly don't believe my comments were out of line and lacking wisdom in noting these issues.

Are we no longer allowed to criticize in the manner that I have?

Regards,

Rich

quote:

Well, I believe what he is doing is largely endorsing ARX over LC for maintenance as he sells ARX, not LC. If he endorsed LC for maintenance, it would certainly not help his sales.

Yes, and that's what Pablo, Salesrep, and I do all the time.

I have used both products and recommend using them, even though I did not do any chemistry work for either of them and don't sell them.

The simple answer is to simply alternate LC and ARX. Use ARX when you need ring pack cleaning and seal conditioning, and use LC when you want to stabilize the oxidation in an oil.

Of course, I would use Used Oil Analysis either way to tweak the regimine.

RichD, You got me bro! I did say that and was indicating the dispersing effect of Auto-RX used in customers cars running LC also. Normally I prefer stopping LC additions while using Auto-RX cleaning and I have made that clear in my posts.

Neither company has tested that or condones it.

The testing we used is based on UOA results and I have not done long term testing to confirm the joint use regimen.

I have made it clear over and over that LC is to be used as antioxidant, with Auto-RX as a periodic cleaner.

Now that we have that out and amplified I may never get another contract of testing from either company.

I guess thats my fault for sharing here on BITOG.

I now understand why most majors won't participate on public forums.

I know you have no vested interest in any of this because its a cute hobby for you. I feed my family based on this fun stuff.

Regards, Terry

[ March 06, 2006, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

quote:

I have used both products and recommend using them, even though I did not do any chemistry work for either of them and don't sell them.

I should say more accurately that I have done some testing for LCD on the LC and the FP, but I do not sell those products, nor do I sell ARX.

RichD Stated:
Rereading my post, I don't believe I castigated the product or anything remotely like that. What I said about Frank was that "A little bit of editing, spell checking and more carefully constructed sentences would go a long way I believe." which I still believe to be reasonable suggestion in light of many comments and the confusion I have read surrounding ARX and comments made by Frank. "End of Quote"

RichD Stated: Are we no longer allowed to criticize in the manner that I have? "End of Quote"

RichD,

You are allowed to criticize Frank all you want. You are correct, his spelling stinks, his sentence structure is terrible and his thought pattern is questionable.

Frank,

I apologize that the Chemo that you just had, and have been on since I have known you is still affecting your writing. Also your Sugar diabetes levels get out of control. So between fighting Cancer and Sugar Diabetes we want you to post with perfection. Don't let the vomiting and dizziness affect you while you are trying to answer someone. And if you get some one to post it for you, then they are a shill for Auto-Rx. So Frank, my recommendation is to continue the best that you can, and Auto-Rx will continue to grow as it has in the past. Thanks for being a Gentleman through all this.

patriot.gif

Frank wrote >
> You don't mix chemistrys one after another.

You can't? That isn't what Terry said here:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=004264;p=1#000004
(even stating that it may be possible to mix them but testing necessary to confirm)

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003199;p=1#000003
(confirming LC during the normal drain after ARX use)

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=002191;p=1#000002
(again, even confirming using them both together)

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001019;p=1#000002
(confirming LC after ARX and also using them together)

There are various other posts by Terry and Molakule stating otherwise.

mburnickas wrote >
> why the instruction deal (reading) comes up ever
> time is beyond me.

Yep, I notice it every time, many times not warranted as the poster specifically followed the instructions (which are useless on the bottle although the web instructions are fairly clear). I am starting to think Frank has canned responses that he cuts and pastes into every response. A little bit of editing, spell checking and more carefully constructed sentences would go a long way I believe.

Trouthead wrote >
> So is Frank saying that once you use Auto RX one
> should never use LC???

Well, I believe what he is doing is largely endorsing ARX over LC for maintenance as he sells ARX, not LC. If he endorsed LC for maintenance, it would certainly not help his sales.

It has been stated many times before, they are two different chemistries and achieve slightly different results/objectives. It depends on what you are trying to achieve which would be best.

Regards,

Rich - following ARX instructions exactly so that won't be the excuse when I post my results...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back