0w-20 oils in Toyota 2AZ-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has a back spec for 0w20 and 5w20 all the way to the first production year. I tried TGMO 0w20 in my old 02 2AZ-FE daily driver. Quiet starts, felt peppy and smooth. More valve train noise than 5w30 full syn when warm. Not real loud, but noticeable. Only used it for 1 OCI due to problems with leaks and oil consumption in its old age. For me, not worth replacing every rubber seal in the engine to run it. If you have no problems with consumption or leaks, give it a try. Mobil 1 makes a 5w20 HM oil now, haven't tried that yet. Maybe next fall.

Being more conservative than most, when I decided to go from conventional to synthetic I decided to stay with the same 5w-30...replaced the valve cover gasket that was brittle/cardboard/cracked with nice new rubber, and replaced the PCV valve and PCV valve hose as well...

Results with Pennzoil Platinum seems just fine, about a cup's worth burned over 2.5k miles...a bit more than the prev. Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, but I've read that that may be from PP's 1st round of cleaning...and that the next OCI may burn less...we'll see.

Now its winter here in Australia.Do you think i can run Mobil1 0w-20 in my vehicle year around?(Summer very hot in Sydney 40+c)
50% city and 50% freeway 110kmph driving.

Originally Posted By: toyota62
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
What models and model years are we talking about?
2012 RAV4

Then yes the TGMO 216 VI, HTHSV 2.6cP 0W-20 oil is specified and presumably what most use.
The thing is you don't have an oil anywhere near this light in OZ.
The few 0W/5W-20's you do have are all heavier, so I'd choose the one with the lowest HTHSV (if you can get that info) and highest VI.

2012 RAV4

Then yes the TGMO 216 VI, HTHSV 2.6cP 0W-20 oil is specified and presumably what most use.
The few 0W/5W-20's you do have are all heavier, so I'd choose the one with the lowest HTHSV (if you can get that info) and highest VI.

We do have TGMO 0w-20 through the Toyota Dealers.I thought Mobil1 0w-20 is better oil.Hard to get Fuchs GT1 0w-20 oil where i live.

This is the 2AZ-FE after 160k km with cheap conventional 5w-30 and regular OCIs...

camtpss.jpg

camtpcur.jpg

Last edited:
2012 RAV4

We do have TGMO 0w-20 through the Toyota Dealers.I thought Mobil1 0w-20 is better oil.Hard to get Fuchs GT1 0w-20 oil where i live.

Well that is news if Toyota is providing their TGMO 0W-20 down under! That is the only way we get the OEM oil here as well.
What are they charging for it?
Mobil makes the oil for Toyota here in NA. M1 0W-20 is not "better" than TGMO it's just heavier and actually has lower AW additive levels.

TGMO 0W-20 has only been available since 2009 so there wouldn't be that many vehicles that would have accumulated 200,000 miles yet, but I'm sure there are plenty who have on the 5W-20 grade.
You have absolutely nothing to be concerned about in getting maximum engine life in running the TGMO 0W-20 in a new vehicle for which it is specified. If anything, running a heavier oil grade will potentially shorten the engine life.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Thanks for the pics and GOOD for YOU with the consistent maintenance over the years!
smile.gif

Actually, I got lucky....I bought the car @ 155k km and the previous owner had taken the car to a national chain parts/repair shop over the years and bought the cheapest oil change, Shell conventional 5w-30...
The dealer that bought it in trade changed the oil to Pennzoil conventional 5w-30 and I switched to Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 5k km later.

I took the photos when I pulled the valve cover to inspect the engine when I replaced the factory installed plugs and valve cover gasket that was hardasarockbrittlecrumbly dead and gone and needed replacing.

Last edited:
My owners manual's specify 5w-30 and up to 20w-50 for the RAV4 2AZ-FE motor.No 0w-20 or 5w-20 in the manual.

I'd guess the 86 would take 0w20

My 2000 Rav4 1AZ-FE has the same viscosity recommendations. Anything 5w30 to 20w50

Last edited:
That's interesting.
Then what models is the TGMO 0W-20 spec'd for in OZ?

Only on Toyota86 sport car.

2012 RAV4

GL Lube has updated their stock, selling AFE 0w-20, M1 5w-20.

Edit - I am also considering using 20 weight. But as you know everything is upside down here and oil drains upwards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
It has a back spec for 0w20 and 5w20 all the way to the first production year. I tried TGMO 0w20 in my old 02 2AZ-FE daily driver. Quiet starts, felt peppy and smooth. More valve train noise than 5w30 full syn when warm. Not real loud, but noticeable. Only used it for 1 OCI due to problems with leaks and oil consumption in its old age.

...And how much oil consumption did you have with the TGMO 0W20 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back