KAP Engine Treatment required for warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a used 1999 Ford Expedition. The dealership offered a 2year 30,000 mile engine and transmission warranty. The name of the company is KAP http://www.northlanddealers.com/docs/The KAP Story.pdf#search='kap auto warranty'
They are sending me a bottle of engine oil treatment and a bottle of transmission treatment that must be added for warranty. I have to take it to the dealer and have them document that they added the treatment to both the engine oil and transmission oil. The engine treatment is in a quart size and transmission is about 12oz. They are sending me the products in the mail a week or so. Anybody heard of such a thing? It hard to believe they would want to add something to the oil that doesnt help or could harm anything.

never heard of that one. let us know what the bottles say on them. get some pics.

Just reading that web site scares me. Looks like a way for dealers to make more money by offering something that has very little value. Most dealers only sell cars that are low mileage a nd a few years old, a 30,000 mile warrany has very little risk on the cars they sell and all profit from what I can see. What is the charge to the customer???

how much if a couple bucks no problem if hundreds then decline I bought a used truck with a extended warranty was 1,200 i think but was a bumper to bumper deal for a extra ??50K miles I think anyway used to replace trans at no charge or small deductable can not remember.

this additive sound like the old "perma PLate" crap that they washed the car in and charged couple hundred dollars for and said it would warranty the paint for a extra few years which most cars do not need not in California anyway just a dealer scam I think on a not needed product.
bruce

quote:

KAP’s 2 year/30,000 mile warranty is very affordable at a dealer cost of $299.00. A 3
year/50,000 mile warranty begins at a dealer cost of only $399.00.

VERY INTERESTING!

Ken

I looked at the PDF and the warranty only covers lubricated parts in the engine and trans and only if there are documented nor 4k mile OCI's and trans inspections.

When was the last time you heard of a lubricated part failing under 100k miles?

Most engine related parts failures are accessory items such as alternators and a/c components.

It sounds like the warranty that comes with Slick 50 packages.

I think you were rooked.

If the dealer paid $299.99, how much did you pay?

can you skip the warranty? my g/f bought a 2000 kia sephia with 50k on the clock and they sold her into a warranty for 1 year for $1000.... i want to ring that guys neck

Chris-

You gonna have quite an interesting time filing for a KAP warranty claim if your transmission fails, even under their rather rigid "regime" in terms of inspections and such.

Locally here, our used car dealer lots often filled with similar scam something called globalwide warranty or something like that. While I don't have the fineprints with me, I did spoke to one of these guys and they said that in order to fully qualify for a warranty-related incident claim, you have to rigidly follow their regimen in terms of servicing, inspections, and such. If they find out that you missed out on one of the scheduled maintenance/inspection schedule (through their own service center network), they immediatly revoke your rights to file a claim.

I used to tease that fella that would I still be able to file a claim if I ship the car to Okinawa Japan? (they claimed to be "globalwide warranty service")

I am kind of wondering if I should have the oil treatments added, I guess I will wait and see what they look like viscocity wise. The warranty is probably a scam but didnt pay for it directly. Where I bought the Expedition, they have a full service department. If it something fails I will take it there. Atleast they are the ones dealing with the warranty.

quote:

Originally posted by Quest:
Chris-

You gonna have quite an interesting time filing for a KAP warranty claim if your transmission fails, even under their rather rigid "regime" in terms of inspections and such.

Locally here, our used car dealer lots often filled with similar scam something called globalwide warranty or something like that. While I don't have the fineprints with me, I did spoke to one of these guys and they said that in order to fully qualify for a warranty-related incident claim, you have to rigidly follow their regimen in terms of servicing, inspections, and such. If they find out that you missed out on one of the scheduled maintenance/inspection schedule (through their own service center network), they immediatly revoke your rights to file a claim.

I used to tease that fella that would I still be able to file a claim if I ship the car to Okinawa Japan? (they claimed to be "globalwide warranty service")

I too have seen similar plans. The entire intent is to make it so rigid that you are not likly to follow it. Tell the dealer that you don't want it and see if he will reduce the cost of the car. After all, nothing is really free. The dealer had to build the cost of that program into the price you paid.

A comment on Perma Plate. It really is a very good paint sealant. It goes on easy and does provide a wax like protection that does last longer than wax.

The problem with Perma Plate is that most of what you pay for is a meaningless warranty.

You can find some kind of paint protectant for much less. Groits Garage (a high end mail order car car product company) has even started to carry a paint sealant as well as one of the biggest selections of wax I have ever seen.

Sorry Its been so long getting back to the forum. The warranty was free for me. I am sure it is figured into the price. Talking to my friend who is a mechanic said, just do as they say, but chances are the engine failing do to oil related failure is pretty slim. But the transmission will be covered if it fails. because it is more likely due to oil related failures. I havent recieved the products in the mail yet, but will keep you guys posted

my brother in law owns an eguity company that finances/sells these warranty policies to small/medium mom and pop car lots in 3 states. he has a pretty big "service center" network set up to service them. the mechanics that are members of it PAY to be in it. he gets it on both ends. i do not know the particulars of his day to day business but the profits must be pretty big. he and his wife bought a huge house last year. with a check. no mortgage. i am in the wrong business.

iirc the scam with the internally lubricated part warrenty is that yes they will replace that bearing that failed but nothing else.they could care less that the bad bearing caused the connecting rod it was in to fail and punch through the block and break the crank while it was at it.
tell the dealer to unbuldle the worthless crap.
go armed with what you read on the website.299.00 their cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back