Mobil 1 HM or Mobil 1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so here's my ? I have a 2005 toyota tacoma with 137k miles. I do 80/20 city/highway driving with 90% being short trips so I fall in the severe driving category. So I'm wanting to know which is better for my application. Out of the 2 which one is the best cleaner and has the most conditioners for my high mileage engine. Price is a moot point here.. Also I will be doing a 3k OCI with either one

Last edited:
3000 miles? I would use 5W-30 HM for a short tripper. How many months does that work out to? I would think that up to 12 months or more would be do-able with only 3000 miles. We did 2 years/5k miles with 10W-30 M1 HM on FIL's truly high mileage 96 1500 Silverado 5.7 It used about half a quart in that time and leaked none. Oil did not look terribly sooty either..but also no short trips on that truck.

Quote:
3000 miles? I would use 5W-30 HM for a short tripper. How many months does that work out to? I would think that up to 12 months or more would be do-able with only 3000 miles. We did 2 years/5k miles with 10W-30 M1 HM on FIL's truly high mileage 96 1500 Silverado 5.7 It used about half a quart in that time and leaked none. Oil did not look terribly sooty either..but also no short trips on that truck.

I travel 3,000+ miles a month sometimes 2 months

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with the PP you have in there now. For such a short OCI, any of the three are actually overkill.

If you're set on a HM, there are plenty of blends out there, too. If you're looking for a Mobil product, we do have a Mobil Super 2000 HM in Canada. Do you guys get that (or something similar) down south at all?

Originally Posted By: Garak
There's nothing wrong with the PP you have in there now. For such a short OCI, any of the three are actually overkill.

If you're set on a HM, there are plenty of blends out there, too. If you're looking for a Mobil product, we do have a Mobil Super 2000 HM in Canada. Do you guys get that (or something similar) down south at all?

Lol I'm glad that its overkill I'm sick of the sludge and varnish I didn't use to take care of my truck at all I neglected it bad in my younger years. I'm forever set on full synthetics after trying all brands of Dino to no avail on sludge varnish removal it inevitably causes sludge and at the very least varnish no matter how regularly u change it. And no we don't have mobil super 2000 but mobil super 5000 line instead. Oh yea and I know I love the pennzoil plat I just wanted to see how mobil 1 does for me the plat has been phenomenal to say the least.

Last edited:
Your racking up 3,000 city miles in 2 months? Your changing that oil way too often IMO. Mobil 1 HM minimum of 5,000 miles in that engine.

If your changing it every 3k you must like changing your oil.

You would be a good candidate for a Fumoto valve if you don't already have one.

http://www.fumotousa.com/

M1 HM.

Or make the step up to Pennzoil Ultra, if you can find it. Maybe you can get a good deal on a closeout.

Last edited:
You don't need a HM oil. If you do 5000 with PP you will have no issues. I run Toyota engines 5000 on PP or QSUD and have zero sludge issues with severe in city driving of 2-3000 miles per month. Have one 2GR-Fe that is over 175,000 and clean and running like new. The oil doesn't really get dark until 4000 with this OCI.

Last edited:
With the miles you are driving 10K wouldn't be a problem with any M1 oil even though a lot of it is local. My grandson deliveries Pizza and is doing 10K in his 2002 Camry with 10K OCIs and M1 5-30.

Cleaning and seal conditioners? Mobil 1 High Mileage... but the thought of changing it every two months at 3k makes me dizzy, you've barely got it broken in at that point.

As your aware from posted UOA's, under the valve cover pics, etc, Toyotas love M1. Toyota may think so too, new engines are designed around TGMO 0w20 which is a XOM brew. My personal experience with Toyotas swapping brews agrees. Use M1 in a Toyota long term, get a long life with no problems.

So which one? IMO both have similar cleaning power, a step above regular M1. For an older Toyota engine would go with M1 HM. The Camry in my sig has some old age issues all caused by rubber seals (burns oil, has several oil leaks). Results of prior owner neglect and sludge. 130k later, I still havent replaced anything. Oil consumption is better, a reasonable 1qt every 3-4k, no oil leaking on the ground anymore. 8-10k OCI's with a high efficiency filter. Thats about 4 months for me. Mostly brutal city stop and go with a few high speed races to parts depots. But OCI length was gradual, the car was a sludge bucket to start. The engine looks like it will outlive the body with no major mechanical repairs.

Different strokes. I'm not sure you want the best cleaning,or slickest, oil in a HM engine. Might be more likely to cause leaks. I would be intererested to know what others think on this issue.

Originally Posted By: c24k
Lol I'm glad that its overkill I'm sick of the sludge and varnish I didn't use to take care of my truck at all I neglected it bad in my younger years.

I'm not going to hammer you too hard for overkill; it's better than doing nothing and killing it.
wink.gif

You'd be surprised at modern conventionals and their ability to keep engines clean. With respect to the Mobil line, if I were in the States, I'd be tempted to try M1 HM, since we don't find that up here. That would, however, assume you can get it at a sensible price. I'd use the EP if I were going to greatly extend the OCI. If I were going to use very short OCIs, and insisted upon an M1 product, I'd just use the regular M1 product (or whatever was priced similarly in the Mobil line).

Thanks for all the replies. Quite to many to quote at on e so ill reply to everyone at once.

So to start yes I know it's dizzying to change the oil that frequently, BUT remember I'm cleaning a severely neglected engine due to my own past ignorance ( not to mention i ragged the SH*T out of the truck hard revs braking racing etc) there were times the oil wasn't changed for a year or more I have yet to remove the valve cover (which I will be Doing soon to have the gaskets replaced). From what I could see through the oil filler cap was moderate sludge with severe varnish so that is why I'm doing short OCI. I'm currently using the mobil 1 EP filter (with pennzoil plat) and will continue to do so it's the best filter I've ever used. Once the engine is cleaned out completely or as close as I can to it ill extend my OCI to 5,000 or 6,000. I've decided to go with M1 HM based on what I've heard so far Based on Replies and I just won't ever do over 6,000 miles OCI. I do not have any oil leaks and there is ZERO oil consupmtion And yes I DO love changing oil I keep all my stuff in tip top shape I have a Honda lawn mower that's 10 years old and looks so good and runs so good I could put it back on the shelf at Home Depot and sell it new I even change the oil in my 4 stroke trimmer daily. I guess I covered all the bases there in the replies.

Last edited:
Waste of money to change M1 at 3k or even 5k. Like Tig said, go to 10k with M1 and just make sure it stays full. If you insist on changing it every 3k, I'd just use a cheap dino like SuperTech. Even SuperTech Synthetic will go 10k with no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back