Lets Talk 1994 Ban and 1911's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unintended consequence of the 1994 ban:

1) Unimaginable proliferation of the 45ACP in the 1911 platform. If I can't have 17 rounds of 9mm I'll take 8 of 45ACP. That's what millions said with their wallets. Do you think for a second Kimber and Springfield Armory would have sold the numbers they have if it weren't for the 94 ban? Of course not. Spawned a glut of tremendous 1911 style pistols. Even Sig came to the market with the GSR and now has a very full line. S&W, Colt, etc... even Rock River has a 1911 to choose from. Before the 94 ban 1911's were not very "cool" or fashionable. Certainly were not machined to tolerances from the factory like they are now.

2) Helped drive the tech behind better behaving bullets. Obviously so did Miami FBI shootout. But the ban had a tremendous effect as well. We are now to the point that there is no discernible difference in killing stats through t the country between 9mm, 40, and 45ACP. We all have our fav rounds, but end of day, with a good SD round, it's all where the bullet is placed not the beginning size of it. Previously, 9mm would be a much weaker round. I did not mention 357Sig even though certain numbers, especially from NW SP show high percentage of kills simply because there are not enough shooting involved for it to be reliably compared to the other big 3.

What say you?

1911's have always been popular. However, it was a smaller crowd prior to 1994 and the plastic-fantastic handguns were making their mark....alll the while, the 1911's kept chugging along, kept alive by their admirers.

There's not much one can do with another S/A pistol than you can with a 1911 other than hold a butt-load more ammo but if you can hit what you aim at, that part becomes a moot issue.

We collect 1911's and have a number of them in just about every style/caliber available....380 through 10mm. A 1911 would be my go-to gun if I could only have one.

Have you tried the Marines yet, I here they have been involved with alot of shooting and have years of experience with many weapons. There are many door to door training areas they attend with the FBI there to. My son trained doing door to door training and the bottom line there, in the real world, you most likely will be killed or wounded.

If you want to see stopping power of a bullet, attend a real live emergency room in NY sometime, they got the real deal there.

It is an eye opener what a 45 or 9mm does to a shoulder, a forearm or a worse,,,how do I know this,,,I have been on the receiving end of one, its hurts, you cry, and rehab is no fun..just saying, yes I still carry, Chattanooga tn has gangs , but NY has more, good luck, Ps the 45 would be my weapon of choice...................be careful of fantasy land and guns, its never what you think.

I have not seen real sales numbers so this is just pure opinion, but 1911 sales seemed to take off (again) in 2009 and just go through the roof in 2011 - the 100th anniversary. I just see the number being traded and sold and really all the makers selling so many 1911 models. Ruger, Remington (again), Colt can't keep up, Sig selling more variants than I can count, and then the amount of $1500-$2500 and up 1911's.

As for the ban, don't get me upset. Just another attack on our rights.

The ban did help the 1911 but it especially helped incentivize the development of smaller, compact designs for CCW. This increase in supply of improved CCW guns helped to fuel the big push for "shall issue" CCW in many states.

So the anti's drive to ban certain guns actually lead to greater access to CCW! They shot themselves in the proverbial foot!

Originally Posted By: Tempest
They shot themselves in the proverbial foot!

The AR15 market was tiny in 94, despite being decades old. And now it's the most popular rifle sold. Being sold at Walmart which I never remember before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back