Lift noise on cold start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1997 Chevy van c2500 with a 350 v-8. On cold mornings I can hear the lifters on start up. I takes a while for the sound to go away 3-5 min. I use Castrol semi synthetic 5-30 and the best fram filter. I was thinking I should use an additive. Any opinion?

try switching to a Purolator filter next oil change with same oil
Fram filter design has been known to have bypass valve problems on startup

may not be the lifters...Chev V8 designs with short skirt offset pin pistons from mid-late '90 on exhibit noise commonly called cold start piston slap...do web search on GM piston slap, large number of complaints, no known manuf. correction or legal remedy
one solution that works for many is 8-16 oz of Valvoline Synthetic Oil Treatment VSOT
search forum for VSOT...will work with your present oil change
http://www.pistonslap.com/

hope you are not using the Frams with the teflon additive?

My engine really quieted down with synthetic 20W50 and SX-UP.

Well since no one said it yet..."the best fram filter"
lol.gif
lol.gif
j.k
grin.gif

I ordered auto rx, will give it a try. If not fram, what filter is considered good. I have always used fram only because that is what is sold here.

Auto-Rx will clean up your valve train (among other benefits) look for noise to get louder while in cleaning mode (metal getting clean and first time your getting oil
to lubricate in these areas)Oil can't lubricate through dirt post again after your done complete application. Noise will be diminished, Use Auto-Rx Maintenace Plan and noise will be gone within first oil change interval.

Grab anything from a ST (wall mart) to a Purolator Prem Plus ...STP ...Total Grip ...anything. I'd avoid PureOne or Wix/NAPA Gold just because of the expense during the Auto-Rx cycles.

After you're done your rinse phase ..anything but a Fram works well.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back