Xado

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to obtain information on this "new" Xado product and this morning I received information from Xado about their patents!
smile.gif

Go to the Intellectual Property Digital Library (you'll find it under News and Information Resources) on www.wipo.org and search for 01/29158 in the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) database where you'll find a 11-page description of the lubricant composition (click on image for the full document). or here if you're the lazy kind...
wink.gif
. Unfortunately it refers to some Russian patents for the composition of the basic ingredients of the Xado gel.

Maybe somebody else can now find the ingredients of the composition?
wink.gif

here's the abstract of the document:
quote:

The present invention relates to lubricant compositions and can be used for treatment of friction units in different machines and mechanisms in manufacturing processes, the purpose of which is modification of friction surfaces. The basis of the invention is the improvement of lubricant composition, in which as the consequence of the additional use of thickener and wax, the viscosity of lubricant composition sufficient for conversation of uniform distribution of solid component in lubricant composition in broad temperature range is provided; and at the expense of that, the possibility of conservation of lubricant composition in any packaging and bulks, which are usable even under operating conditions of machines and mechanisms, is reached. The lubricant composition acquires the state of gel, that is convenient to put on any friction surface, to deposit on a zone of friction of any friction units. The lubricant composition ensures the receiving of engineering results similar to those, which solid components exhibit using fine-dispersed powder on basis of natural minerals from flaky silicates series and at the same time the sedimentation properties of lubricant composition permit its continuous conservation in broad temperature range without variation of lubrication and modification properties.

[edit]added abstract

A person here at BITOG, besides me, have now ordered the product. He lives in the US. He will probably let you know the result of his findings. I experienced quiet engines(30-40% reduction in noice), reduced fuelconsumption, reduced heat from the heater and stronger engines. I am going to take another test of particle-emission next friday to see if this have been affected too.

I will attend a free trail in conjunction with the Saab Club of The Netherlands and Xado. Rules are:

Every car must have passed a compression test and CO emission test before the start of the test period. Any other tests are welcome (anyone offering free oil tests?
wink.gif
other suggestions for relevant tests? ) I always calculate my fuel consuption after every fill so I'll keep an eye on that.

Test period will be one month and a minimum of 2,000 km. after the test period is ended compression and CO (and other tests) will have to be performed to establish the results.

The car that I will use for this is a 1991 Saab 900i 2.1 l. running on LPG, currently with 415,000 km on the odometer and I drive approx 3000 km. each month.
From the information I have of the car the milage seems to be original, cilinder head was completely refurbished at approx 305,000 km (new exhaust valves, new hydraulic followers, skimmed surface).
in January 2006 I replaced the timing chain, both crankshaft seals, head gasket and I replaced the oil pump with a refurbished one (a broken spring from a crank shaft seal had entered the original oil pump... don't ask...
mad.gif
) and lots of other small stuff.

-

-

I noticed that I could move the top of the pistons about 1 mm at TDC when pushing hard on two opposite sides.
Now with the absence of the rattling worn timing chain, I think I can hear the pistons slapping in the cilinder, especially when the engine is cold...

btw, the above pictures are of the engine before cleaning...

Rocco, I am excited to see the results. I am going to do an particle emission test on my old Peugot 1995 1.5 diesel next friday. However, I have been driving 120000kilomers(75000miles) since the last testing, so the testing is just for fun.

gr8gatzby, I ordered the xado from www.xado.co.uk
On the US link, you must click on Dealers&Retailers. You will find a list of dealers in the US. Hopefully, one of them will be close to you.

i was about to order the stuff, but upon reviewing the dosage requirements, i'll need 3 tubes for my 6qt engine. 1 tube = $20 x 3 = $60 per treatment = ***.

i'd wait until one of the knowledgeable testing folks around here gets a hold of it and puts it through it's paces.... i only wonder that since it's a gel won't it turn back to gel when it gets cool again in the oil? could possible do something to small oil passages, no?

gr8gatzby, the threatment will last at least 70000 miles. I don't think it is expencive.

Pontius Pilate, when you put it in a warm engine, you start the engine and let it idle for two minutes, or longer if you like. In that time, the stuff have sirculated together with the oil and found the way to the metal surfaces that needs it the most. You put in 3 tubes to threat a used engine, (or if the engine is brand new, you put in two tubes at one time). After you put in the first one you drive 62-155miles. You do the same with the next tubes. Within 1000 to 1250 miles, you will have the full effect and it will not be reduced within 62100 miles. You can red more(I hope), the information is available at their website.

i know that relative to its claimed abilities, it is not expensive. i'm just not ready to drop that kind of cash on something that i see as "untested". i guess i'll just wait until some results start trickling in here.

regardless, $20 for 2oz(?) of anything(namely amorphous goo)is extortion. unless they're using some precious earth metals or extinct plant species in there, that is way too much $$$ to ask, especially when the average customer is going to need a minimum of 3 tubicles. at least sell a 3 pack for $50, or something along those lines.

I'll be putting the car on a rolling road next week (before the Xado test begins) to measure engine torque and power output.
The rolling road test was intended for fine-tuning my 1985 Saab 900 Turbo (because it needs some fine tuning... 175 BHP should be obtainable for a T8 without much fiddling and standard components) but I think it will be more interesting to test the car I will be conducting the Xado test on...
smile.gif

I'm also interested to see how much is left over from the stock 140 bhp after 415000 km and if there is a performance difference between running my car on normal petrol or on Liquified Petroleum Gas (LPG). LPG is a much cleaner and cheaper fuel but I have more power available when running on petrol.

I want to put the car on the same rolling road after the test to see if there is really a power gain instead of a imaginary one.

anyone can tell me which parameters to record? temp, air pressure... that's it, right? do I need to record humidity?

Rocco. I saw a test performed by ADAC in Germany(it is on the German Xado-page), where they tested a 2003 Toyota Yaris (1.3 liter engine). Have you seen it?

Stick with Auto-RX and LC don't spend money on this product until it has been tested by our site sponsers. So who has some Xado and is willing to send it to Molakule or Terry at Dyson? Maybe a UOA before and after will tell us if its worth the money.

Well, I have some and will gladly send it to either Molakule or Terry, if they want it. I also have a sample of their 5W30 synthetic oil that I would gladly send to either.

quote:

Originally posted by shavenstringer:
Stick with Auto-RX and LC don't spend money on this product until it has been tested by our site sponsers. So who has some Xado and is willing to send it to Molakule or Terry at Dyson? Maybe a UOA before and after will tell us if its worth the money.

Do I need Auto-RX with a engine that looks like this? un-cleaned!! you can still see the gasket on the distribution side on the picture in my first post. (the classic 900 has a timing chain, the gear on the crankshaft is the crankshaft timing chain gear. After 400,000 km it was worn and needed replacement. you have to remove the gear box/oil sump and cilinder head if you want to do it right... so I did.)

-

Above picture is the engine gear box/oil sump and oil pick up tube, uncleaned. you can still see a little bit of oil on the bottom of the sump. no metal chips in there btw
smile.gif
(cleaned it out of course before I installed it back again...) my car runs on LPG: take away the source of internal engine pollution and there's no need for engine cleaning...

Like I said, this stuff patented: that means the composition of the lubricant is publicly available! Read the patents if you want to know what it is made of. A series of UOA's will only reveal what influence it will have on the engine on the long run.

I have to hand in my compression test results and CO-measurement results before March 15th and any other measurements before that date so they (xado) can estimate the amount of Xado needed for my engine. the test (in collaboration with the Saab Club of the Netherlands) will start on Sunday, March 26th and will last one month. after that month compression- and CO-measurement tests will have to be performed again. (by me that is!) Oh yeah, I also gonna put her on a rolling road this Saturday with www.saabforum.nl and I want to test her again on a rolling road after the test period, if my budget permits...
frown.gif
My username on saabforum and saabcentral is: RoccoH I know my Saab Classic 900, I'm a bachelor in aerospace engineering and I've read some very useful stuff on Bitog since I started reading here..
wink.gif

Now, please some more advise on what else to look for when I will be testing this stuff!!

I have planned to replace my no-name 10W40 oil (3000 km after I opened the block) and Saab oil filter with Mobil-1 0W40 and a fresh oil filter coming Sunday. Due to this (virgin M1 0W40 is known) and the fact that I probably still have some influence of the repairs present inside my enging I doubt that a UOA will give a usefull insight on what really the influence is of this stuff...

comments? any one?
smile.gif

BTW, can we really call this an oil additive?
Since lubricants are meant to only lubricate and since this product actually reacts with the metal... From what I understand from what I've read on internet (still have to read their patent thoroughly though...) the product is basically a metal composite which reacts with the surrounding metal under heat and pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back