New road bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So my dad and sister are bugging the poo out of me to pick up a road bike so I can ride with them. I have no idea what I want. My dad has a Cervello, but the fact that its expensive carbon frame was made in China is a big turn-off for me, despite them being a Canadian company.

I've been thinking about a couple different bikes.

Number 1 is pretty cliche (sorry guys):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M-BIKE-CARBO...=item4ac45b3af9

$T2eC16h,!)8E9s4l9z7uBRcFd6DN8Q~~60_12.JPG

Yeah, a BMW ///M bicycle
smirk.gif
It is carbon, but I don't know where the frame was made. I may contact BMW and find out. Otherwise, does this sound like a decent road bike? It does to me.

Number 2: German manufacturer Canyon (sourcing their product appears like it might be fun) and one of the Ultimate CF models:
http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/series/ultimate-cf.html

ultimate-cf-9_c1025.png

Thoughts? Input? Am I out of my mind? (don't bother, I can answer that one, LOL!!)

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
wow...some expensive bikes. do you already ride any or are you just starting out?

+1

Is this your first road bike?

If this is your first road bike, which I assume from your post, you are likely going overboard, IMO.

If you want an expensive bike, or you just want to be able to keep up with the Jonses, then that's fine. But if you want a good riding, quality bike, you can spend considerably less.

If this is your first road bike, the most important thing will be getting a good fit from a local bike shop. I've ordered online and had one good experience and one bad experience, as far as fit goes.

Not sure if canondale still makes us made road bikes, but I love mine. I can't imagine the little extra weight savings going to carbon is really worth it unless you plan to race.

I read a review of that bike on bmw blog last year I'll try to find it for you. IIRC the frame was made in Taiwan and the list price was somewhere around $3500 USD.

Almost guaranteed that any carbon complete bike out there is made in Asia. Probably China or Taiwan.

That said, carbon is worth it for ride comfort alone. They're a lot smoother than aluminum road bikes.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
I read a review of that bike on bmw blog last year I'll try to find it for you. IIRC the frame was made in Taiwan and the list price was somewhere around $3500 USD.

Yeah, list is much higher than that auction, did you click the link? Not much over $2200.00.

Taiwan, while better than China still kinda....arg
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: cchase
Almost guaranteed that any carbon complete bike out there is made in Asia. Probably China or Taiwan.

That said, carbon is worth it for ride comfort alone. They're a lot smoother than aluminum road bikes.

Yeah, my dad's Cervello apparently has an incredible ride. The Canyon bikes are "assembled and tested" in Germany, meaning that yeah, the fork and frame are sourced probably from Asia
frown.gif

wow...some expensive bikes. do you already ride any or are you just starting out?

I mountain bike. Never been into road biking much, though my dad has been into it for at least 40 years. However, he's managed to get my sister into it and now that he's spending every summer in Ontario, I get the chance to hang out with him a lot more than was possible only a couple of years ago. He's fast and on an extremely light bike, I figure I'm going to need a light bike too (that's my logic here anyways) which is why I'm looking at bikes like these.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: zloveraz

Yeah, list is much higher than that auction, did you click the link? Not much over $2200.00.

Taiwan, while better than China still kinda....arg
frown.gif

Yes I did click the link which is why I mentioned the list price, not bad however it is a two year old bike not sure how you calculate depreciation on a road bike?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I mountain bike. Never been into road biking much, though my dad has been into it for at least 40 years. However, he's managed to get my sister into it and now that he's spending every summer in Ontario, I get the chance to hang out with him a lot more than was possible only a couple of years ago. He's fast and on an extremely light bike, I figure I'm going to need a light bike too (that's my logic here anyways) which is why I'm looking at bikes like these.

I don't know what the actual numbers would be, but I'm guessing the difference in overall performance from something like my $1200 steel Marin Verona Marin Verona , and a $4000+ bike is going to be less than 1-2%, and probably most of that is the tires. So what you ate the night before is a bigger factor than the bike.
If you want to be a roughly equal rider, just ride more. The frame material is not going to save you on a climb if your Dad rides alot and wants to show the boy who is still boss!
wink.gif

My Verona would probably fit you very well, I could drop it off sometime and you could try it out, I've been thinking of selling it for a while and for a few hundred bucks, it could be yours!

Bare minimum for someone with adequate funds and who is planning on putting in good mileage:

- carbon frame
- 105 component level, including crankset (since manufacturers often skimp on the cranks on 105 level bikes)

Beyond that, the geometry varies slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer, so I would try to get out and ride some from a few brands. I know you are partial to all things German, but I would keep in mind where the local supporting bike shop is in case of warranty concerns and serviceability.

Bare minimum for someone with adequate funds and who is planning on putting in good mileage:

- carbon frame
- 105 component level, including crankset (since manufacturers often skimp on the cranks on 105 level bikes)

Beyond that, the geometry varies slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer, so I would try to get out and ride some from a few brands. I know you are partial to all things German, but I would keep in mind where the local supporting bike shop is in case of warranty concerns and serviceability.

I don't think you need to go that high, but I do agree that 105 is the best bang for buck for someone who wants to keep the bike a while.

My last road bike was a Specialized Allez triple, paid $700 for it. Great bike, comfortable, fast, no issues. Had Sora/Tiagra.

Shimano has been de-contenting Tiagra for some time, to the point where I wouldn't recommend them anymore.

I'm not saying it's great, just that it gets the job done.
Although my Allez was a 2007 so maybe it was better back during that time.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Shimano has been de-contenting Tiagra for some time, to the point where I wouldn't recommend them anymore.

I'm not saying it's great, just that it gets the job done.
Although my Allez was a 2007 so maybe it was better back during that time.

They were indeed better back in 2007.

The Tiagra level stuff does get the job done, but if you start putting 1000+ miles per year, it's worth it to upgrade to 105 level at the outset. Shifters and cranks are the two most expensive drivetrain upgrades, and shifters have the most direct relation to riding "feel" when shifting so I think it's worth splurging on those two items upfront to avoid wanting an upgrade a year down the road and then dropping an additional $400 on shifters.

And I'm speaking as the owner of 2002 Tiagra shifters, ironically
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back