Lubro Moly MoS2 antifriction treatment--any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Blauparts website there is listed an antifricton treatment specifically for VW's and Audi's by the name of Lubro Moly Antifriction Treatment which they say gives noticeably better fuel economy when used in a VW or Audi engine. They also claim it reduces engine wear. That would be my reason for using it plus better gas mileage would be a benefit as well. My 2011 Tiguan owner's manual says not to use any additives in the oil. Does anyone know if this Lubro Moly antifriction stuff is any good? Alternatively, if one wanted to reduce friction and get better mileage, are there other better products to use such as Lucas Upper Cylinder lubricant? All responses will be appreciated.

I don't think its a bad additive and at one time it probably provided some real benefit but oils are so much better today.
I cant see much benefit in it except with maybe some of cheapest oils with poor add packs.

Although Lubro-Moly makes good products, I would stick to your car manufacture's advise and not use additives. I trust that modern high end oil manufactures know what they're doing.

I have used LubroMoly MoS2 in several cars, all with great results. I started using it in my 99 BMW 528i, didn't notice any real difference but that car was already super smooth and quiet, but then I decided to try it in my 01 Civic and immediately I noticed the engine ran quieter and smoother. The vibration that is typical of most 4 cylinder engines was reduced by half if not more.

I added it at the same time as I switched to Mobil 1 0w20 Advanced Fuel Economy, so I'm not sure what the real source of the improvement was, but I gained about 2-3 mpg vs the oil that came in the car when I bought it used (probably dino 5w30 based on the sticker from Take 5 Oil Change that was on the windshield) and I have continued to use it at each oil change in this car.

I have also added it to a 2003 Tacoma V6, a 99 Mitsubishi Galant 4 cylinder, and two Saturn 4 cylinders, and it made all these engines quieter and the 4 cylinders noticibly smoother. I don't have fuel economy data on any of these, they were all friends' cars, but they can't stop talking about how much smoother their cars run since I added "that stuff" to them.

One thing to note, added to fresh oil right after an oil change, the oil will go from a clear golden color to a silverish grey metallic color, like dark mercury. At the end of the OCI, it drains out black.

Yes, there is a huge amount of info on this product in the additive section. Def worth the time reading it. I also think there is some stuff on Lucas everywhere on this site. Most of it bad. I would stay away from anything that says Lucas on it, But that's just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
Does anyone know if this Lubro Moly antifriction stuff is any good?

The stuff is awesome, I put about an ounce in my small Briggs & Stratton Mower and it stopped the oil consumption. I have a swail that I use it for where I cannot get the riding mower to mow.

I also have this stuff in my riding mower that has a Kohler Engine and it seems to run smoother. I also put it in my engine oil on my car and it seems smoother and more responsive.

Thanks for all that info, especially the part about the oil changing color plus the reduction in vibration from 4 cylinders. I may try this Lubro Moly MoS2 first in my wife's Mini Cooper, which does vibrate some and is no longer under warranty and see how that stuff works there before I consider putting it in my Tiguan. If the stuff dramatically improves fuel economy, that would sure seem to be pretty good evidence it's reducing friction which should mean less engine wear.

LM MoS2 is a good stuff, I used it before and it reduced overall vibrations especially at idle and maybe gave a slight bump in MPG.
I might try in again, now in 550i, it has vibrations at idle which I don't like, but it could be that it needs TB cleaning and/or spark plugs,but on board comp shows they have 25k miles left till service.

I use this stuff in everything I own. No failures,increased mileage in all vehicles,decreased fuel consumption in my compressors and generators.
I buy it all every time I walk into napa

After reading the above posts, I have read everything I could find on Lubro-Moly MOS2 and I changed my mind about using it. I recommended not using additives above. Now I'm thinking seriously about using it in my Porsche. I'm currently using Motul Excess 8100 5W-40. Anyone know how much moly is in the Motul? I want to prolong this expensive engine's life and hoping this may provide the edge. Also thinking strongly about Millers and Joe Gibbs DT 40 but the MOS2 is the least expensive option. Any comments appreciated.This looks convincing http://www.theparsecgroup.com/experts.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back