Gulf Western

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've purchased some of their 20W-50, but it goes solid in the freezer, so I didn't use it...Shell 25W-70 never did that.

I used it as an oil change flush for a half hour or so.

It seems to meet all the right specs, but I've never been game as there are so many good oils around and at the end of the day, oil isn't that exxy in the scheme of things.

The original tribologists were ex-Ampol after the Ampol-Caltex 'merger'.

Blending plant used to be at Penrith, just the other side of the hill to Shannow, don't know if it still is. The owner has had numerous business in the Penrith area over the years.

I used to use some Gulf Western, mainly the HDEO Top Dog. Of all the oils I used in my motorcycle, full synth ester motorcycle oils, various HDEO's like Pennzoil, Fuchs etc, the Top Dog gave the best shifting and clutch action. I think it's great stuff.

Bombadier,
ages ago on BITOG, I was going to show that Shell 25w-70 wasn't going to grenade my engine through my winter (-7 usual min, occasionally -11), so put some samples in the freezer, to see how they "poured"...

Became a habit when a new oil (engine or gear) hits the garage, a sample goes in the freezer, just for a look.

By coincidence I was introduced to the owner of Gulf Western and made the same comment about the low price and the assumptions about quality that come from that - not something that they can control. The chain stores have weekly/monthly runs on oil discounting as a marginal/loss product to get people in the door.

I have asked around and it is very popular in the Australian drag racing circuit and amongst farmers etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back