5W-40 - semi or full synthetic....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming up service time again, and the Calibre synthetic (supercheap Auto), which is actually Caltex C3 is no longer available from Supercheap, and at the highway Caltex stores $75 plus for 5L...

Looking at the options, I've got reasonable availability (and price) of these two.

A semi syn
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdfs/HPR DIESEL 5 November 2012.pdf

And a full syn
http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf%5C10944_Castrol_Magnatec%20Diesel_5W-40__2012_6.pdf

Both around $93 for 10L (I need nearly 7 for a change)

Both 5W-40, the semi has better cold cranking, but overall a bit thicker, but has full zinc...the full is a bit thinner (13.8cst@100C)

Could use the Magnatec SP that I've used before, but only comes in 20L drums, at $220.

Sort of stuck with the Nissan stating not to use oils "better than" Cf-4, which has left me with PCMOs the entire time that I've had the vehicle.

C3, while not strictly required, at least has better diesel specs than PCMOs (sort of)...

guess that also rules out the Penrite (their recommendation tool was the diesel CI-4)

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Sort of stuck with the Nissan stating not to use oils "better than" Cf-4, which has left me with PCMOs the entire time that I've had the vehicle.

Sheesh, they make things difficult. Maybe Doug might now what legacy lubes are available down there. The only thing I can think of up here that would be even close would be something like RP 10w-40, of all things.

Finding something even as old as a CI-4+ is a stretch up here. Does Nissan offer any options down your way at the dealership, or is this just a phantom specification they have no desire with which to assist?

C3, while not strictly required, at least has better diesel specs than PCMOs (sort of)...

guess that also rules out the Penrite (their recommendation tool was the diesel CI-4)

Why? Which engine is it?

Personally I'd go with the Penrite over D1 and if it's out of warranty, don't sweat it.
We all know where Nissan have their heads when it comes to modern diesel oil specs, purely as the API CG-4 spec was 'undernourished'.

Blasphemy on here but it tests very well from what I've been told.
They tend to use the best additive packages Lubrizol have available with an almost 'plus the kitchen sink' approach.

Been running low SAPS Penrite 10W-40 Enviro+ ACEA E4/6/9, API CJ-4 oil for the last three-four years in two old school diesels after moving from D1 on the recommendation of a very switched on person. $165/20l

Rick,
got any links to conversations on anaemic CG-4 ?

You've piqued my interest.

What did you use in the end? The Penrite products look very attractive after reading more about them. I would probably go for Delvac 1 though.

Originally Posted By: tdi-rick
Personally I'd go with the Penrite over D1 and if it's out of warranty, don't sweat it.
We all know where Nissan have their heads when it comes to modern diesel oil specs, purely as the API CG-4 spec was 'undernourished'.

Blasphemy on here but it tests very well from what I've been told.
They tend to use the best additive packages Lubrizol have available with an almost 'plus the kitchen sink' approach.

Been running low SAPS Penrite 10W-40 Enviro+ ACEA E4/6/9, API CJ-4 oil for the last three-four years in two old school diesels after moving from D1 on the recommendation of a very switched on person. $165/20l

Penrite over D1? I'd like to see the reasoning behind that.

Originally Posted By: supercity
What did you use in the end? The Penrite products look very attractive after reading more about them. I would probably go for Delvac 1 though.

Penrite Racing 10W-40, and what was left of my Mobil 3000.

Rick,

Sorry, missed this.

I might still have some links in the old PC, IIRC the Calcium levels were too low in the original CG-4 oils.

Sprintman, if you knew who recommended and why, you wouldn't question either.
Unfortunately I can't say more.

Penrite Racing 10W-40, and what was left of my Mobil 3000.

Did you manage to find a jug of the new formulation? I can only ever find older stock which would be the old formulation in retail shops.

Originally Posted By: tdi-rick
Rick,

Sorry, missed this.

I might still have some links in the old PC, IIRC the Calcium levels were too low in the original CG-4 oils.

Sprintman, if you knew who recommended and why, you wouldn't question either.
Unfortunately I can't say more.

tdi-rick

I am currently running the Penrite 5w-40 Diesel 5 dual fleet oil in my 1996 Holden VS V6 petrol engine.

I note in your comments to Sprintman that your switched on learned friend recommends the low SAPS Penrite 10W-40 Enviro+ ACEA E4/6/9, API CJ-4.

Does your learned friend also say it can be used in the 1996 Holden V6 3800 petrol engine.

As some members use the Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 in petrol engines and the low SAPS Penrite 10W-40 or 5W-40 Enviro+ is an approximate equivalent I thought I might be able to use it an older petrol engine.
13.gif

Last edited:
It's SM rated so it will work. Its really intended for heavy duty engines though. Your V6 will run just fine on 10w30 pcmo.

It's SM rated so it will work. Its really intended for heavy duty engines though. Your V6 will run just fine on 10w30 pcmo.

Supercity I was thinking of using the Penrite 5w-40 Enviro plus which is SN rated.

It is has the following specs including 5 OEM approvals.

Industry Specifications
API SN/CF
ACEA C2/C3

OEM Approvals
GM dexos2TM Licensed – License No. RB2C0330073 (GMW 16177)
VW 502.00/505.00 Approved
Porsche A40 Approved
MB-Approval 229.51
BMW Longlife-04 Approved
Manufacturer Specifications
MB 229.31 VW 505.01

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back