Cement knowledge ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who has experience or knows what products are better than other for repairing a pretty big crack in my garage floor. at the widest is maybee a inch. Im seeing alot of diffeent products online, id hate to go into the big chain stores and get taken for a ride.

You might consider a "crack filler" that is more of a mastic than hard cement.

Look on Amazon where people rate the stuff.

If you could somehow grind or cut so bottom is wider than top that would be good.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
How did you get a crack that wide in your garage floor?

My dad was a concrete guy all his life. His company guarantee was two-fold: "It'll get hard, and it'll crack."

Joints are put in concrete to try and control where it cracks.

For the patch, I'd just search home depot and amazon for product reviews. Some two-part epoxy / or urethane should be a good bet - but I haven't looked into what's recommended.

Experts think that the concrete at the center of the Hoover Dam still hasn't cured after 75+ years, despite the network of water-cooling tubes they ran through it.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
If the floor is still moving it'll crack again.

+1
Consider why it cracked in the first place.

If it's unsound, but you still want a somewhat temporary fix, just fill it with Morter mix.

the garage is 15 years old, i purchased this place 3 years ago. The crack was already there (so unfortunately i dunno ). Im just searching out good products to fill it in.

If the crack opens and closes with temperature or ground moisture, you'll need something flexible. Otherwise you'll force the crack further apart.

A smaller crack can be directly filled with epoxy, but that's a pointlessly large expense with a 1" crack.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: yonyon
How did you get a crack that wide in your garage floor?

My dad was a concrete guy all his life. His company guarantee was two-fold: "It'll get hard, and it'll crack."

Joints are put in concrete to try and control where it cracks.

For the patch, I'd just search home depot and amazon for product reviews. Some two-part epoxy / or urethane should be a good bet - but I haven't looked into what's recommended.

Hey ask you dad ! this cracks 1 inch at the widest and probably 16 feet long going from hairline to 1 inch in different spots..

I will go have a look see on amazon.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Experts think that the concrete at the center of the Hoover Dam still hasn't cured after 75+ years, despite the network of water-cooling tubes they ran through it.

Not the Hoover, but my great grandfather was one of the designers on the Grand Coolie Dam. The water tubes were there to pull the heat away from the cooling cement I believe.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
this cracks 1 inch at the widest and probably 16 feet long going from hairline to 1 inch in different spots..

I will go have a look see on amazon.

If you have a 16' crack that varies from hairline to 1 inch in width you have bigger problems than crack filler can cover up.

A crack that long and that wide is indicative of some serious movement of the slab. Find someone who knows what they're doing and get it stabilized. Not only has the slab moved an inch, but everything attached to it has moved an inch.

Crack filler in this case is just masking a serious structural problem.

Proberbly the result of someone pouring a 3" slab on unsound ground, then parking a two ton vehicle on it!

Originally Posted By: expat
Proberbly the result of someone pouring a 3" slab on unsound ground, then parking a two ton vehicle on it!

Yes, its likely an old slab and possibly didn't have enough if any rebar put in it!

OP: my dad wouldn't have input on filling cracks, unless you want to rip it all out and do it right! He didn't mess around with patch jobs b/c they weren't worth the $ and won't come out right (in his opinion).

pls address the root cause first and then fix it.
pls post a pic of the garage floor and a a pic from the outside showing elevation.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
pls address the root cause first and then fix it.
pls post a pic of the garage floor and a a pic from the outside showing elevation.

The ground is fairly Level, my property is Lake front and was Cleared to put a house on it. I have little doubt the crack is the result of the ground settling and being parked on too soon, the garage is solid, ive looked at the struckture and there is no risk of any of it coming apart, it was put together very, very well. I have inspected myself all the studs and Joyces and tehre is no risk of any of it coming apart. I asked the previous owner about the crack and he said it happend as he parked his 1500 pickup on it too soon after it was poured and it cracked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back