2 Stroke oil trial in VW PD engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigjl
I have read articles that state it helps the Dpf to regenerate easier and at lower temperatures.

However I have an '08 Pathfinder with a Dpf and I wouldn't risk it, I do use a proper Dpf cleaner that you add to the tank.

But DPF's can be a fickle mistress and I would err on the side of caution.

I suppose it is a case of "All Heart" in Hankock, somebody just has to go first!

I'm not sure it makes regenerations easier, that is done by your DPF cleaner which lasts after combustion and saturates the DPF and the carbon/soot build up in there lowering the temp at which carbon/soot burns off thus regenerating it when the exhaust gases get up to temp and the carbon ignites. 2 stroke oil makes the diesel burn cleaner producing less soot so filling the DPF at a slower rate. There are low ash and ashless 2 stroke oils available that won't clog your DPF especially at that dilution rate and as there is less soot the DPF will do less regenerations so if anything should prolong the life of the DPF. Has your Taxi got a DPF? Maybe try it in that?

Might look into a reasonably priced 5w40 Maxlife product at a later stage.

you should try going to your local VW TPS centre mate and buying the Quantum Platinum 5w-40, it's blended by Castrol so it's good and it's cheap

Or if you're ever down south I'll pump you some out of our barrel

Originally Posted By: another Todd
What is 2T? Is that just another way of saying generic 2 stroke oil?

yes

2T = 2 stroke
4T = 4 stroke

Just a quick update

A friend of mine has been doing a trial in his mates Mk3 Vauxhall Astra 1.7TDi with the usual results. This car apparently fails MOT tests almost every year on emissions, it went in for an MOT the other day and the MOT tester couldn't believe how low the emissions readings were.

regards

Riggaz

Originally Posted By: phlfly
So is it safe to on 2012 VW TDi with DPF?

Great question... which I have no concrete answer. I've not seen any data one way or the other that supports or condemns 2T use in CR/DPF TDIs.

However, I would not use it if I had one... stick to one of the better lubricity enhancers, such as low blends of biodiesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back