Bosch QuietCast brake pads...anyone use em?

Status
Not open for further replies.
currently have some pads that are [censored] all over my rear wheels. The rear wheels are COATED after a short trip. After a few days, the rear wheels are noticeably darker than my front wheels (I know, opposite of how it usually is).

I ordered up a set of these from Blunt Tech, but haven't got around to installing them. Was gonna get a shop to install them tomorrow, since the rear pads are also squeling like crazy when they get hot too.

Does anyone have exp. with these? Are they any good? on my first set of pads, I used the cheapest pads I could find, and aside from some very minor metallic noise, they gave of little to no dust at all. Just wish I could remember what brand they were.

thanks in advance

P.S. I dont' track or drive crazy. This car is only used for commuting and getting groceries

P.P.S. I'm only running stock rotors, no fancy cross drilling or slotted stuff here!

I am sure bosch is fine , but they not big name in break industry i'd go with wanger, ebc, or duralast instead.

No need for ceramic or anything as long its not super cheap, you should be ok.

Last edited:
Ceramic pads are generally low dusting and easy on rotors. When it comes to pads, i get whats good and pay a bit more to get higher end products. Ive used cheap ceramics and didnt like them (not enough stopping power)

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Ceramic pads are generally low dusting and easy on rotors. When it comes to pads, i get whats good and pay a bit more to get higher end products. Ive used cheap ceramics and didnt like them (not enough stopping power)

+1

ceramics are lower in stopping power, i bought EBC which is regarded in number1 in breaks and it wasnt that much diffrent than metalic cheap [censored] my old mechanic put on.

Last edited:
If you go to Bosch website you'll see that their technical data sheet for the pads you mentioned looks more like a saving coupon, it contains no information such as friction coefficient or operating temperature range.

I have a set of EBC ultimax (entry level pad that dust a lot but I don't care since the car is a van and not a beauty queen) and the stopping power and feedback are great. I will definitely install EBC on all our family cars since they cost about 50-70% of what a set of ATE or Bendix would cost

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster

ceramics are lower in stopping power

This is a generalization that is just plain wrong in some cases. It 100% depends on the specific pad being used.

For example, many Bendix CT-3 ceramic pads have a GG friction rating, which is higher than many semi-metallic pads.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

ceramics are lower in stopping power

This is a generalization that is just plain wrong in some cases. It 100% depends on the specific pad being used.

For example, many Bendix CT-3 ceramic pads have a GG friction rating, which is higher than many semi-metallic pads.

Correct. Everything I've ever read and researched states that ceramics basically do everything better.

Has the car always dirtied the rears?? I have had soooo many customers who think a 'pad slap' is an actual brake job. Clean, clean and clean some more. Lubricate all the sliding parts, with the correct brake grease. Check for rotor run out. Even the best top of the line pads, will not perform if they not installed correctly. Wagner Thermoquiet's are great. Lastly, check your fronts, if they are somehow binding, such as a stuck or sticking caliper, the rears will do more work and hence more dust.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

+1

ceramics are lower in stopping power, i bought EBC which is regarded in number1 in breaks and it wasnt that much diffrent than metalic cheap [censored] my old mechanic put on.
EBC + 1 Nice pedal feel.

Textar, pagid, jurid, ate would be good choices. I doubt you can get bendix ct-3 pads, but I'd get them if I could.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Textar, pagid, jurid, ate would be good choices. I doubt you can get bendix ct-3 pads, but I'd get them if I could.

I don't know if you can or can't get them for the OP's vehicle. I'm actually not even urging him to get them, I'm simply using that as an example to show that not all "ceramic" pads have poor stopping performance. It depends on the pad.

To the OP -
What's the country of origin of the Bosch pads?

In the future, you might want to post a thread about the topic before you buy the pads. There are quite a few members who like talking brake pads and considering different brands. Brake pad threads are actually some if my favorite threads.

10 responses and nobody answered the OP's question. C'mon guys, he already purchased the Bosch pads and just wanted to know what to expect from them from someone who's already used them.

OP, I haven't used any Bosch brake products so I don't know what to tell you to expect from them. What is the heat/friction rating on the pads? If it's at least FF, then you should be good to go as far as stopping power is concerned. The dusting, well someone else will have to chime in about that.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
10 responses and nobody answered the OP's question. C'mon guys, he already purchased the Bosch pads and just wanted to know what to expect from them from someone who's already used them.

Ahem, even more useless responses now that you also didn't answer his question.
grin.gif

Actually, the lack of responses probably is in its own way a response. I saw the Bosch pads when I was looking for rear pads for the Beetle, but I had never read anything about there here and passed over them.

Here you go OP, here's a link to reviews of the Bosch Quietcast pad.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Ceramic is mostly a marketing term.

A good quality, true ceramic pad is a great product. However, your comment rings true with cheaper ceramic pads as the low end will not have as much actual ceramic in it and is virtually a waste. I have used and can highly recommend Raybestos Advanced TEchnology ceramic pads as well as AutoZone's Duralast Gold and Gold Cmax as great pads.

Ceramic is not a marketing term. While not all Ceramic pads are created equal, it's easy to tell the difference between semi-metallic, ceramic and organic. Newer BMW's use ceramic rotors, not sure about yours, but the pads and rotors on the new Bimmers wear as an assembly. The pads and rotors should be replaced as a set. And now to answer your question, sorry never used Bosch pads.

Originally Posted By: partspro
Has the car always dirtied the rears?? Lastly, check your fronts, if they are somehow binding, such as a stuck or sticking caliper, the rears will do more work and hence more dust.

Hmm, nope. The rears only started to dirty the wheels once I put the recent pads on there.

The fronts still operate as normal and don't give me any troubles (when off the brakes, the car freewheels easily, even when the car is in neutral and on a level area).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back