General Altimax RT vs Yokohama YK580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Thanks for the replies everyone... I feel like I need to address Char in his passion for the Hankook 727... haha! I Wanted to buy from Discount, who did not list those tires, and I also wanted to get them installed yesterday because I can't in the next few weeks. I am not your typical BITOG poster, I don't put days or weeks of reading into tires, I just went with something recommended by them and some positive reviews online. Good enough for me.

That being said. I went with the YK580. They gave them to me for the same price as the Altimax RT (a bit less, but not much)

I am happy with them. Nice handling and quiet ride on the 1 hour drive home that day. Long term will tell the true story, but as of right now they are a nice compliant, quiet tire. No complaints. Will post pics later.

Well Done & UNDERSTOOD!
I do understand that some size tires are not availabe everywhere and not always in a persons budget & time frame. I am certain that you made the correct choice and that you'll be very happy with the tires(Yoko's).

Please keep us posted when you compile some km/mi.(~20K km/12K + mi). This time frame & km/mi is where a tire starts to show it's true colours.

Pics taken today..

Kth7oxS.jpg

0psDlOD.jpg

They look very good on your Civic and the tires look to have some heft/beef for a 205mm. Nice looking sidewall and tread pattern.

How's the ride/handling combo thus far? I know, you just got'em!

Originally Posted By: ChrisW
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Otherwise I would look hard at the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

When will it be available? Michelin keeps pushing back the release date.

I asked my manager the other day since Michelin says July, usually we get the product codes in the computer a month ahead of time, but they are not in the computer system yet. So I don't think any earlier than July except for the limited production they made for their comparison test drive event when they were announced. And July doesn't mean all sizes listed, perhaps only the most common sizes at first. As soon as I hear something I'll update or create a new thread.

Good to know, thanks.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
They look very good on your Civic and the tires look to have some heft/beef for a 205mm. Nice looking sidewall and tread pattern.

How's the ride/handling combo thus far? I know, you just got'em!

They do look really nice, I like them.
The handling is still during breakin. I am told they will get better after a thousand K or so, but even still, I find they are competent (tried a couple highway onramps) and most importantly, they are quiet. They are balanced perfectly and at 70mph the steering wheel is rock solid with zero vibration.

So far, totally impressed with these. I have yet to see any standing water since it's been rain free for the last few days but that will be the next test.

Bottom line... So far, they're great.

A bit off topic but, I felt the need to metion this.

The Hankook Optimo H727's are amongst the light(er) tires in thier size when comparing with same size tires. This is just another benefit that the H727's have, IMHO!

OTOH...

The Pirelli P4(which I also have) are amongst the heavier tires(but the smallest looking), comparing with same size tires! I ues these P4's on OE Steelies for winter and, just one of the reasons that I chose the P4's, along with their snow/ice capabilities for an A/S tire.

Keep in mind that, I only compared to tires that I was actually considering for purchace. Not every tire in their catigory!
smile.gif

Last edited:
I like those yokos the previous generation was above average overall but poor treadwear.

They have fixed the treadwear issue with the newer model. So they should prove to be an above average tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back