CD-2 lead substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one know what's in it to substiute lead?
Will gas plus this stuff act like leaded gas?
I have been looking for a lead replacement that will leave a good coating on the piston rings and valves like the old Leaded gas.

If leaded gas is used it will leave lead deposits on the spark plugs so figure on changing plugs every 10,000 miles as we did years ago.Also will require more frequent oil changes and will form more (lead) combution chamber deposits.Las t but not least it wil "kill" your catalitic converter.There is no advantage to lead but there are a lot of disadvantages.

No cat No O2 here.
I don't think I have ever gone more then 10,000mi on a set of plugs with my car.
I change my oil every 5,000mi (I use M1) or when ever I feel like it. About 3,000 or so.

No cat No O2 here.
I don't think I have ever gone more then 10,000mi on a set of plugs with my car.
I change my oil every 5,000mi (I use M1) or when ever I feel like it. About 3,000 or so.
I was thinking of useing .6oz of Lead to each gallon of gas boost 93 to about 95. That is about 1gm per gallon. 6oz to 10 gal of fuel. I think 1 $9 bottel would do about 60gal of fuel.
That's a lot more effective then $5+ of a bottel of the other stuff.

Most of the lead substitutes have a manganese carbonate compound in them and are only to be used for engine with non-hardened valve seats.

"If leaded gas is used it will leave lead deposits on the spark plugs so figure on changing plugs every 10,000 miles as we did years ago.Also will require more frequent oil changes and will form more (lead) combution chamber deposits.Las t but not least it wil "kill" your catalitic converter.There is no advantage to lead but there are a lot of disadvantages."

It also plugs up EGR valves alnd fouls oxygen sensors. I have seen a few messed up by ignorant owners that thought they were improving things by adding lead back in. It's not a pretty sight, especially when they seem to think that warranty will pay for the repairs.

Actually one of the first additives out as a lead substitute was a potasium product not mag from LZ. All the majors have and use there own blends depends who the supplier is as to the chemistry.
bruce

I wish I knew how to tell if one of my old gas tractors has hardened valve seats...it is a 63 Case 830 w/4 cyl gas engine. To my knowledge it has just ran unleaded gas ever since it became the norm.

If your after lead 100LL av gas is lousy with it. Don't know why they call it low lead (LL). I've seen oil drains that come out grey from all the lead in the oil. Blended it with pump prem on some of my toys and even at 20-50% you can still see it on the plugs. Also have used the MMT that Molakule mentioned, it leaves a reddish ash on the parts but doesn't seem to foul plugs.

No EGR, O2, cat or computer.
All old skool.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back