How to sell my near-new tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this ad here a few weeks ago, and on craigslist and on some automotive forums, but no one has bitten yet...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2977173#Post2977173

Are there any places like tire shops that BUY near-new / slightly used tires?
I searched online but didn't come up with any places that clearly said they BUY used tires but they SELL them...but to sell, they have to BUY them somewhere too, right?

Shall I start asking around at local tire places?

I hate that I have no use for them and they just sit there collecting dust, and they probably have less than 3k on them.

General Altimax Arctic
4 tires
used one winter, 3000 miles on tires max
225/60/16
Asking $200 picked up.

Since you're on BITOG, you'll probably want to add in the manufacture date code too.
wink.gif
Good luck

You want too much money for them.

I'd make the CL subject line "225/60/16 snows 11/32 tread $50"

where $50 is the price of one tire when you buy all four.

My "friendly" junkyard gets $25 for nearly new tires, they used to be free (!) but were charging $5-10 until last fall when they discovered the goldmine they were sitting on.

Remember you get the cheapest of the cheap when you sell used tires. The very idea doesn't cross the mind of 99% of the populace.

PLUS, you're trying to sell snow tires in a place where many "get by" without them, and off season too.

Problem is yep, it's the off season....so nobody is "shopping" for them now....and they are "used" no matter how you look at it
wink.gif

You could try local tire shops....but yea, most of them probably get theirs dirt cheap from junk yards from total loss vehicles...so even 50$ per tire would be "too high" for them to buy them off you.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Dang - they're like $90 each on tire rack new. I thought $50 each for having less than 3k on them would be fair.

It would be fair here up north right before a major snow storm. Alas, you've got both the location as well as timing against you. The only thing you can control is price. If you don't mind waiting, you may have more potential interest at the beginning of winter.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Dang - they're like $90 each on tire rack new. I thought $50 each for having less than 3k on them would be fair.

It is fair, maybe even better than fair until you consider that the buyer has no idea what's wrong with them. Sure, maybe you don't have that car anymore or you changed your wheel size or some such thing but then again one or more of them may have a serious problem that you're not disclosing.

"Everybody is trying to screw you" is a hard lesson to unlearn. You know they're all good, but it's reasonable for a potential buyer to allow that after buying them they'll have to buy two more new ones for a full set. If the price for new is $90, then 0-mile used is worth $45. Add 3000 miles to them and $40 each is about right.

You can sell them the same way that Walmart and everybody else gets rid of stuff that won't move.
Mark down the asking price.
It doesn't help that the online tire sites have brand new winter tires on clearance right now, so those who plan ahead can get fully warrantied winter rubber for reasonable money.
The average used tire buyer is probably looking for a set of all seasons, not a set of dedicated winters that won't last for many miles if run over the summer.
Also, I doubt that there are many winter tire buyers in your part of the country.

they don't have any serious problems.
(I sold the car they were on-don't need them an have no cars with that tire size)

i already listed on CL bout 2 weeks ago
my CL ad clearly stated that offers are welcome.

I will lower the price on CL and bitog and post again.

I think you would be better served to continue to post these on craigslist in multiple areas around your home (like two towns over etc) and clearly state these are nearly new and youd like $200 but its "obo" if your willing to do that.. Im sure in a matter of time someone will bite. Good luck.

Did you try posting this on Charging Thunder, IF this site/newsletter for T-Bird SCs is still even around?
21.gif

(It was based out of the Carolinas back when I had my SC.)

Originally Posted By: dparm
Craigslist. You'll get lowballed, but they'll be gone really fast and you'll have cash in hand.

I sold a 9 year old set of summer tires on there for 100 bucks. Buyer was only interested in the tread dept and if there was any plugs or patches (which there were none).

Best money I ever made on old parts!

I sold 4 of the same tires i6" with less than 2 months on them and not even 3k for a Camry/Solara last Nov in the North East for $150 for on Craigslist.
Used is used, no offence but the price is too high.

you will NEVER sell them in Fayettenam. I spent 4 years down there and got less than 1 inch of snow. You will need to ship them to sell them. Sorry

Save them for pre winter. I ran across the same thing and found my sold in 1hr once a snow storm was looming. The only difference is I live in NH and not sure how much winter tires are needed in NC????

I cannot justify owning winter tires(maybe 1 week of pure winter driving/season) and live in Coastal NH.

$200 is an awesome price for those incredible tires.
I would ask $300 then when someone offers $2-250 you can be like how about we meet in the middle yadda yadda, I would gladly pay that much for a low mileage set.

I have sold numerous tires on our local classifieds Kijiji.

I sold a set of used snow tires on Craigslist for $200, but it was in the fall. I think I listed them at $225. One guy only wanted 2 tires, so I sold 2 for $100. Then I edited my listing and listed the other 2 for $125. I let those go for $100 too. These were also General Altimax Arctic; they might've even been the same size tires as yours, and they were more used than yours.

The price was fine at 200$
In fact I'd probably raise it to 275$ then let the craigflakes negotiate you to 200$

the problem is time of year(season)
and your location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back