Worry Using Auto Rx in VVT Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a used 2002 Corolla for my daughter. 40K and clean. Not knowing the oil change history, I put in some Auto Rx when I changed the oil/filter. The variable valve timing mechanism uses oil pressure to operate, and it has a small filter in the oil supply to the actuator. I read that most problems with the system are caused by this filter getting plugged.

Should I monitor this during my cleaning and rinse stages with the Auto Rx? Any others have problems??

Stooge,

I assume the filter you are referring to is after the oil filter Auto-Rx will liquefy and deposit any sludge that is in your engine in the oil filter. Depending on the amount of sludge you have you might want to check on it occasionally good luck.

Daryl

Putting "some" Auto-Rx in your daughters engine (do you mean 1 bottle?) Please follow instructions for engines under 100,000 miles and get results you want plus you won't have to monitor anything.

It should not be a problem. That filter is more like a screen. Ato-Rx does not break off huge chunks of sludge etc.... It breaks it down slowy into a liquid. The Auto-Rx encapulates the liquified sludge and carries it to the filter spin on oil filter where it gets traped. Follow the directions and you will not have any problems.

You could always use an cleaning dose of LC first and then get the deep clean from ARX. I think your fine either way but LC liquifies and may get some of the plug stuff out of the way before the ARX.

That oil pressure actuator for the VVT portion is no different to the long-been-used VTec valvetrain actuator (hydraulic-controlled using motor oil).

Because motor oil into the valvetrain is suppsedly "post filtration" meaning the your oil filter should have trapped almost all of the crap and debris floating around. If you are worried about your VVT actuactor or any other hydraulic components (oil pressure driven and controlled), consider replacing your oil filter more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back