What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Just say no.

Not needed and all its purpose is to separate your $$$ from you.

Bill

+1 Yeah what he said ^^^^
12.gif

Liqui Moly MOS2 & Ceratec are both available at NAPA. Some have reported their engines run smoother and quieter with these products.

Originally Posted By: TurboJim
Liqui Moly MOS2 & Ceratec are both available at NAPA. Some have reported their engines run smoother and quieter with these products.

Are you sure about them being able to order in the Ceratec???

I have NEVER seen it available in their catalog under the Liqui Moly/Lubro Moly section.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: TurboJim

Are you sure about them being able to order in the Ceratec???

I have NEVER seen it available in their catalog under the Liqui Moly/Lubro Moly section.
21.gif

They have Ceratec displayed on the counter at my NAPA.

Cera-tec is the ultimate additive.
It works the same as mos2 however it uses nano particles of ceramic to create the barrier and the layer is so hard you need a belt sander to grind it off. I have 6 cans of it and will only use it in a newer engine because its so hard to find.
That is the greatest additive on earth. I love the stuff.
It's better than mos2 and lasts 10 times as long between treatments.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

How often do you use it? Are you using the entire can per treatment?

It works the same as mos2 however it uses nano particles of ceramic to create the barrier and the layer is so hard you need a belt sander to grind it off. I have 6 cans of it and will only use it in a newer engine because its so hard to find.

I am not sure if you are serious or playing a joke on us. Most of your replies have been logical and very helpful, so I am having hard time believing with this reply.

I would like to know why ceramic is better than micro particles of sand in the oil. How about crushed diamonds in the oil? Ceramic would be the last thing that I want in my oil.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2695462#Post2695462

Check out the fourth post.

Thanks, NMBurb02!
smile.gif

CERA-TEC
Motor oil additive
With high-tech ceramic anti-wear protection

How does CERA-TEC work?

The graphite-like structure of the ceramic particles enables them to fill in the roughness present in the metal, thereby preventing direct metal-on-metal contact. An active chemical (friction modifier) utilizes the existing friction energy to ensure flowing i.e. non-abrasive – smoothing, annealing the friction and bearing points.

CERA-TEC is a suspension based on a micro-ceramic solid lubricant and chemical active agents in mineral oil. This combination reduces friction and protects the engine and transmission against wear. This in turn prevents expensive repairs and prolongs the life of the assemblies.

CERA-TEC offers high mechanical and thermal stability, ensuring outstanding lubrication even under the toughest conditions. Engine and transmission noise are reduced. It saves energy, reduces fuel consumption and thus also pollutant emissions.

CERA-TEC reacts directly with the surface of the metal and protects your engine for up to 50,000 kilometers - even with the oil being changed during that period.

Properties of CERA-TEC:

CERA-TEC is self-mixing and compatible with all standard motor oils. It is ideal for use in oil-lubricated transmissions, pumps and compressors. Also tested for vehicles with turbochargers, catalytic converters or particle filters. In new vehicles, CERA TEC supports engine break-in and protects against excessive wear. With a particle size of only 0.2 μm, it is absolutely compatible with all filters. Do not use in automatic transmissions and motorbikes with a wet clutch!

How is CERA-TEC applied?

- direct addition to the motor or transmission oil (cold or warm)
- ideally, pour in together with fresh oil when changing the oil
- otherwise apply when there is at least 5,000 km to go before the next oil change so that CERA TEC has plenty of time in which to have an effect

- 300 ml is sufficient for up to 5 liters of motor oil
- the optimal dosage is about 6 % of the total oil fill quantity
- oil change intervals as per the service documents of the vehicle to be followed

Test arrangement image with two interlocking gear wheels.

Who is APL?

Formed in 1989, APL is a neutral and independent, internationally renowned development service provider,
working for a worldwide client base from the automobile, oil and additives industries. The company is specialized in the mechanics of engine and drive trains and their operating supplies. On nearly 145 state of the art engine and component test rigs, more than 700 employees apply the latest measurement technology.

What was tested?

The APL experts determined the relative scuffing load capacity of lubrication oils. Between the edges of the teeth, rolling off and sliding occur at the same time. Due to unfavorable operating conditions the lubricant film can break down between the tooth edges. This leads to short-term local fusion and disintegration of the edges, so-called scuffing, which causes damage to the smooth surface of the teeth edges. Possible consequences: higher engine and transmission noise until failure of the gear wheels occurs.

Test sequence

On the vehicle distortion test bench the test oil was mixed with 6 per cent CERA TEC. With each test sequence the weight, and thereby the force level, on the sensitive transmission gear wheels was increased. The aim of the experiment is to reach the damage force level. This level is reached when the sum of all damage caused to the teeth of the gear wheels is more than 20 millimeters. The test is then ended. The reference oil came up to damage force level 4; the oil mixed with CERA TEC reached as far as level 9, hence to more than double the level. CERA TEC markedly increases the power reserve, which confirms the anti-wear protection by the fine ceramic particles, is how Dipl.-Ing.

Peter Kunz, who supervised the test, summarizes the results. Kunz’s initial skepticism gave way: After the tests I was amazed. The product has made everything, and I really mean everything, better.

Just the demand for APL’s expertise alone has been unusual. LIQUI-MOLY is the first company in the after-sales market that has been prepared to undergo voluntary tests», said Kunz. He is responsible for the testing of lubricants and fuels.

In short: CERA-TEC reduces the amount of friction and thereby the wear. This in turn benefits the engine, which is under less load. This can result in a lower susceptibility to repair and longer service life.

"annealing the friction and bearing points" ?

Really?

I do not mean this question as a knock to the product, but the claim I quoted above sounds suspicious to me. Perhaps the writer doesn't know what anneal means to metalworking, and simply used the word to impress others who don't know either and won't bother to look it up. Or perhaps I have no idea what it means in this context.
lol.gif

Ceramic is like graphite? I must have been asleep when they taught some chemistry courses during my engineering school!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Ceramic is like graphite? I must have been asleep when they taught some chemistry courses during my engineering school!

IIRC The Ceramic they are using in CERATEC is a better lube than graphite.

I am asking some chemical hotshot to explain it me. I understand that at molecular structure, even though they are both carbon forms, I would not use crushed diamonds for lubrication instead of graphite.

In my mind, ceramic is more like crushed diamonds or crushed sand than graphite. Even the ceramic wiki page has no "lubrication" word in it.

I feel the same way about Titanium too.

I am not sure if you are serious or playing a joke on us. Most of your replies have been logical and very helpful, so I am having hard time believing with this reply.

I would like to know why ceramic is better than micro particles of sand in the oil. How about crushed diamonds in the oil? Ceramic would be the last thing that I want in my oil.

It is actually "white graphite" AKA hexagonal boron nitride. Yes it is a lubricant and no i have no opinion. Google is your friend.

Quote:
Another high-temperature lubricant, hexagonal boron nitride, has the same molecular structure as graphite. It is sometimes called white graphite, due to its similar properties

I am asking some chemical hotshot to explain it me. I understand that at molecular structure, even though they are both carbon forms, I would not use crushed diamonds for lubrication instead of graphite.

In my mind, ceramic is more like crushed diamonds or crushed sand than graphite. Even the ceramic wiki page has no "lubrication" word in it.

I feel the same way about Titanium too.

Then by all means don't use it. I don't use it because I read it could foul plugs. Opinions vary as with all of these additives.

I use their MO2S product and I like it. I liked it even more when it was $4.00 :) Now it costs $8 :-(

I can understand how that molly can be helpful in lubrication purposes.

I use their MO2S product and I like it. I liked it even more when it was $4.00 :) Now it costs $8 :-(

I can understand how that molly can be helpful in lubrication purposes.

It is difficult to understand. If you have some time read up on the pros and cons of coating bullets and burnishing barrels with moly. From my own experiences barrels last longer, and clean up easier, you can also shoot more between cleanings. It is claimed moly reduces friction between the bullet and the barrel. Does this time into automotive applications would be the next logical question? I think a nice coat on engine bearings would be of some benefit. I also think it will fill tiny imperfections on cylinder walls if they are present.

I said, technically I can understand molly can be helpful and my personal experience confirms that.

On the other hand, adding crushed diamonds or fine particles of titanium or micro particles of ceramics to my engine? I have hard time coming up with rational explanation as to how it would be beneficial. It does not matter that the company peddling this product is trustworthy or the person promoting this product has stellar reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back