by tenderloin
10/20/14 11:29 PM
Digital Pop Star Round 2: Hatsune Miku in 'Murrica
by Nick R
10/20/14 10:33 PM
Driving on a metal grate
by y_p_w
10/20/14 10:11 PM
Seem like antique old school guy dont give a rat .
by MetalSlug
10/20/14 09:52 PM
lubegard power care 2 stroke oil and reconditioner
by fixit301
10/20/14 09:08 PM
Home Solar Electric
by expat
10/20/14 07:57 PM
Cost to service drum brakes?
by Hollow
10/20/14 07:51 PM
Anybody spraying Fluid Film regularly?
by bullwinkle
10/20/14 05:49 PM
Castrol Edge Syntec 0W-20, 0W-30 BC, 0W-40 GC
by SLO_Town
10/20/14 05:43 PM
Newest Members
l1tech, greyghost, banderso, ovidiu, joeymaker
51648 Registered Users
Who's Online
57 registered (bluesubie, aquariuscsm, 94astro, Astro14, asand1, 6 invisible), 961 Guests and 217 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
51648 Members
64 Forums
220987 Topics
3492799 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 5 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#3349758 - 04/22/14 12:13 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: Jteran5]
domer10 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Jteran5
Originally Posted By: dave5358

Why not stick with one product or the other and follow the label directions?

Both products - L-M Ceratec and L-M MoS2 Anti-Friction - have their followers and detractors. Ceratec provides wear protection by adding a ceramic coating to your engines friction surfaces. MoS2 fills in the pores of the metal. MoS2 has been in use for a much longer period and the industrial benefits of MoS2 are well known - automotive benefits less so. Ceratec is a new kid on the block, much more pricey and its benefits may last longer.

Big question: What are you trying to accomplish? If you have a specific goal you wish to accomplish (e.g. reduce oil consumption past the rings), then you may get a more meaningful response.

Please note that if this thread continues for any length of time, someone (who has never used either additive) will jump in and announce that you don't need either product. Strangely enough, they might be right if your engine is well ordered, gets regular oil changes, etc.

I just picked up a 2014 Subaru Sti. I want to get the most life out of it. I want the best protection for the engine. I figured that ceratec was a good additive to use every 30k as instructed and that the MoS2 was a good additive to use every oil change.

You are doing the right thing. Reduce friction, reduce wear.....and the pro's are endless.

#3349835 - 04/22/14 06:48 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: domer10]
Jteran5 Offline

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By: domer10

You are doing the right thing. Reduce friction, reduce wear.....and the pro's are endless.

Would it be okay to use both ceratec and MoS2 on the same oil change or no?

#3349844 - 04/22/14 07:08 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: domer10]
kschachn Online   content

Loc: Upper Midwest
If only there was a way you could show it does any of those things.

Originally Posted By: domer10
2000 Toyota ECHO, 224K

#3349883 - 04/22/14 08:06 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: Jteran5]
147_Grain Offline

Loc: USA

Liqui Moly says that Cera Tec is their best friction modifier and recommends you use Cera Tec (at a 5% - 6% dose) without the MoS2 Lubro Moly.

The MoS2 should ideally be used during each oil change after the initial application of Cera Tec, which has long-term binding properties. Using Lubro Moly (MoS2) separately from Cera Tec ensures that both products won't be competing with each other and a higher quality layer of Cera Tec will bind more effectively to metal surfaces.

No harm will be done should MoS2 and Cera Tec be combined, but they will both be competing with each other unnecessarily.

#3349913 - 04/22/14 08:40 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: 147_Grain]
demarpaint Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain

Liqui Moly says that Cera Tec is their best friction modifier and recommends you use Cera Tec (at a 5% - 6% dose) without the MoS2 Lubro Moly.

The MoS2 should ideally be used during each oil change after the initial application of Cera Tec, which has long-term binding properties. Using Lubro Moly (MoS2) separately from Cera Tec ensures that both products won't be competing with each other and a higher quality layer of Cera Tec will bind more effectively to metal surfaces.

No harm will be done should MoS2 and Cera Tec be combined, but they will both be competing with each other unnecessarily.

I got conflicting info from them with regard to using both products. Basically one person from their company said if you use Ceratec stick with Ceratec, don't change over to MoS2, and vice versa. Another person said it was fine.

As you mentioned both people said Ceratec was the better of the two products and they shouldn't be in the sump at the same time. I would feel better if both people were on the same page.

#3350396 - 04/22/14 06:50 PM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: demarpaint]
147_Grain Offline

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Both people said Ceratec was the better of the two products and they shouldn't be in the sump at the same time. I would feel better if both people were on the same page.

I agree!

I just summarized the e-mail I received from a Liqui Moly Technician in German and he did not recommend using both products at the same time.

#3350681 - 04/22/14 11:16 PM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: 147_Grain]
Jteran5 Offline

Both people said Ceratec was the better of the two products and they shouldn't be in the sump at the same time. I would feel better if both people were on the same page.

I agree!

I just summarized the e-mail I received from a Liqui Moly Technician in German and he did not recommend using both products at the same time.

Not at the same time, but it's OK to use the MoS2 between 30k ceratec intervals, right?

#3350747 - 04/23/14 02:16 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: Jteran5]
147_Grain Offline

It's OK to use the MoS2 between 30k ceratec intervals, right?

Yes, but not necessary to use the Mos2 with Cera Tec every 30K.

#3350760 - 04/23/14 05:01 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: Jteran5]
demarpaint Offline

I agree!

Not at the same time, but it's OK to use the MoS2 between 30k ceratec intervals, right?

In the case of my communications with them, it depends on who replied. One member of their staff said if you start with Ceratec you should continue with Ceratec, and the same goes for MoS2. Another person said it was fine to switch off. Several members here have switched off with no problems to report. My only beef is everyone at LM should be on the same page. hide That is not an attack against them or their products, I was stating what I learned by emailing them. For the record I occasionally use their products and had good results. IIRC other members emailed them and were told switching off is not a problem.

#3350872 - 04/23/14 08:27 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: TechnoLoGs]
147_Grain Offline

demarpaint:

I appreciate your contributions on this fine Forum and agree that the technicians at Liqui Moly should be on the same page, but there is enough data to give us a general idea that the products perform as advertised.

To summarize things from my perspective, I dug-up the following e-mail from Liqui-Moly of Germany last summer:

Quote:

To:
Sent: Friday, June 7, 2013 4:44:33 AM
Subject: Antwort: WG: Questions About Cera-Tec and Lubro-Moly MoS2

Hello Mr. ......

Sorry for being so late but I've had problems with me account.

Concerning your question about the CERA TEC - this is the best friction modifier we have at the moment. It's specially developed for aluminum based engines to protect the surface by chemical agents and solid lubricants.

We recommend a ratio of 5% - 6% because there may be an influence on the additive package of the oil. In combination - 5000 miles oil changing intervals and CERA TEC - I suggest the usage of CERA TEC at the first oil change and the usage of MoS2 based friction modifier the next 2 oil drains (to fill up the loss of the solid lubricant particles with the oil). The chemical component of the CERA TEC will stay in the surface for a long time and so you don't need to replenish it at every oil change.

The solid lubricant in both products protects the surface of the engine at every condition (specially in extreme conditions where the oil isn't able to build up a stable lubrication - engine starting - lubrication at the first moment, extreme pressure and hot conditions).

I hope I could help you and sorry again for the late answer.

Best Regards from Ulm

I. A.

Harry Hartkorn
Anwendungstechniker
Application Engineer

Phone: +49 731 / 14 20 - 895
Mobile: +49 172 / 7 24 84 85
Fax: +49 731 / 14 20 - 44895

LIQUI MOLY GMBH
F & E / Anwendungstechnik
Jerg-Wieland-Straße 4
D-89081 Ulm

www.liqui-moly.de

Amtsgericht Ulm HRB 1383 | Geschäftsführer: Ernst Prost
Court of registration Ulm, HRB 1383 | Managing Director: Ernst Prost

Unquote

#3350894 - 04/23/14 08:54 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: 147_Grain]
Jteran5 Offline

demarpaint:

I appreciate your contributions on this fine Forum and agree that the technicians at Liqui Moly should be on the same page, but there is enough data to give us a general idea that the products perform as advertised.

To summarize things from my perspective, I dug-up the following e-mail from Liqui-Moly of Germany last summer:

Quote:

To:

Hello Mr. ......

Concerning your question about the CERA TEC - this is the best friction modifier we have at the moment. It's specially developed for aluminum based engines to protect the surface by chemical agents and solid lubricants.

We recommend a ratio of 5% - 6% because there may be an influence on the additive package of the oil. In combination - 5000 miles oil changing intervals and CERA TEC - I suggest the usage of CERA TEC at the first oil change and the usage of MoS2 based friction modifier the next 2 oil drains (to fill up the loss of the solid lubricant particles with the oil). The chemical component of the CERA TEC will stay in the surface for a long time and so you don't need to replenish it at every oil change.

The solid lubricant in both products protects the surface of the engine at every condition (specially in extreme conditions where the oil isn't able to build up a stable lubrication - engine starting - lubrication at the first moment, extreme pressure and hot conditions).

Best Regards from Ulm

I. A.

Harry Hartkorn
Anwendungstechniker
Application Engineer

LIQUI MOLY GMBH
Jerg-Wieland-Straße 4
D-89081 Ulm

www.liqui-moly.de

Unquote

Great. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the information.
Quick question, is the 5-6% replacing the oil or is it in addition to the the normal fill?

#3350898 - 04/23/14 09:06 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: TechnoLoGs]
147_Grain Offline

I subtract the additive from the normal amount of oil that otherwise would have been added.

However, most vehicles take more oil than is listed on the spec sheet so an extra 10-oz's won't hurt anything.

Cera Tec and MoS2 come in 300L bottles which is approximately 10-oz's.
2005 Dodge Neon SXT

#3350913 - 04/23/14 09:29 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: 147_Grain]
demarpaint Offline

demarpaint:

Quote:

To:

Hello Mr. ......

Best Regards from Ulm

I. A.

Harry Hartkorn
Anwendungstechniker
Application Engineer

LIQUI MOLY GMBH
Jerg-Wieland-Straße 4
D-89081 Ulm

www.liqui-moly.de

Unquote

Thanks for the kind words. I was just sharing my experience in communicating with two different people from LM a while back. As I already mentioned people are using both products, just don't use both at the same time and you should be fine. I think they make good products so I am in no way bashing them.

#3350944 - 04/23/14 09:52 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: TechnoLoGs]
Vikas Offline

Loc: NorthEast
If Ceratec is a coating, why is it needed on new engine? Not only it is not needed, would it not lead to more problems? Think what coating is trying to do. It is trying to reduce the clearance between the cylinder bore and piston rings. If the engine is new, is the reduction advisable?

Additives in new engine seems counter productive and might lead to problems rather than solving any non-existent issues. It is like throwing unneeded antibiotic at a body. It will only do harm.

#3350991 - 04/23/14 10:27 AM Re: What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do? [Re: Vikas]
Jteran5 Offline

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If Ceratec is a coating, why is it needed on new engine? Not only it is not needed, would it not lead to more problems? Think what coating is trying to do. It is trying to reduce the clearance between the cylinder bore and piston rings. If the engine is new, is the reduction advisable?

Additives in new engine seems counter productive and might lead to problems rather than solving any non-existent issues. It is like throwing unneeded antibiotic at a body. It will only do harm.

I feel that the coating will prevent metal on metal contact. I would rather use this now that there are no problems rather than use it when I have there are issues.

Page 5 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 17 >