Multifunctional tractor oil STOU in motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I use Multifunctional tractor oil STOU 10W30 CF-4/SG and GL-4 for my tractors with 1400ppm of Zn. My Honda CB500 needs 10w30 SG.

The STOU oils are designed to work with wet brakes and wet cluctch. Are they containing the same kind of friction modifiers as JASO oils ?

So, should I use STOU oils with motorcycle wet clutch ?

Thanks

I believe JASO oils do not have any friction modifiers (or only a minimal amount) so that the clutches will operate properly. I wouldn't try it because if turns out it messes something up and requires a mechanic to fix it, what did you gain?

The gain is I buy tractor oil by 60 quarts, so I have it in my garage, and it only costs 4$/quarts (3€/l) and it is exactly rated for what asks my 1996 Honda for (SG) and it is also GL-4 for the gearbox (1400/1600 ppm Zn)... So, why buying anything else (far more expensive) ?

Just wonder if there is a diffence between wet clutches in STOU and in JASO specs ?

Last edited:
I've never heard of a SG rated oil with a GL-4 rating. Gl-1 is more common over here. I'd be concerned it might mess with the clutch. The GL-4 rating is for hypoid gear oil. Depending on how much use the Honda gets, I'd spring for a different oil for the bike myself.,,

Multifunctional STOU for trators have 3 rating: engine/manual gearbox with wet clutch/hydraulic.

For example, ADDINOL Super Traktor MU 1035

Engine:

ACEA E3
API CF-4 / SG

Gearbox:

API GL-4

Hydraulic

DIN 51524-2 (HLPD)
DIN 51524-3 (HVLP)

They are basically dino HDEO oils with "something" for wet cluctch, and more zinc for GL-4.

One of my UOA gives me that for example:

Q8 10W30 STOU UOA

MOLYBDENUM 7
BORON 11
PHOSPHORUS 1484
ZINC 1611

CALCIUM 3961
MAGNESIUM 35

Last edited:
The only problem with multi functional "one fits all" oil is like greases - they will work in most applications but greases designed for a particular application will work much better. Same applies here - I am guessing it will work based on some info I read but to me you have a lot more to lose than you have to gain.

To figure out the exact difference between JASO and STOU frictional characteristics will take a lot of work and probably more trouble than spending a few dollars on a different oil that you know will work.

What should tell you why not to use the STOU oil is that it isn't JASO rated.

Last edited:
Well, people use HDEO with great success in motorcycles. Motorcylce oils are often overpriced... And car oils also. I have a article which tests car oils and recommand to use them instead of motorcycles oils, to much overpriced (in french)...

So I always use car oils in it with no problems (12 years now), also not JASO rated, but without friction modifier

I will only do short OCI, Honda give 6000km = 4k miles with dino. I will do UOA to check at 3000 km = 2k miles.

The only thing which worries me is friction modifier for wet clucth... But STOU are known to work with powershift...

Last edited:
I have found that STOU have a dynamic CoF around 0.2 (µ) but JASO MA use the Dynamic and Static Friction Characteristic Indexes

If someone ca tell me what is the relationship between the two ?

Your multifunctional oil should be fine for your motorbike.

If there was an oil of that type available to me, I would try it. In fact I went to John Deere of Oaxaca three years ago looking for John Deere brand Euro spec tractor oil to put in my motorbikes, but no dice.

If it is incompatible with your wet clutch, it will not do damage as long as you drain it within a reasonable time period of when you feel it slipping. Once you put a recommended oil back in it, it'll stop slipping and return to normal.

Wet brake and clutch units in a tractor are similar to a motorcycle clutch, and clutch packs in auto transmissions, I can't see them wanting a brake to slip. I reckon it'll work just fine. I've used tractor oils in the past....but so long ago I can't even remember what bikes they were.

I've been thinking about this for my bikes for some time, and I've been looking at the price of STOU (Mobil Agri Super Oil 15w40) locally. By the 20L pail it's around Eu3 per litre, which is half the price I'd be paying otherwise. There's also a Texaco 10w30 STOU even cheaper, but that's just a little bit on the thin side for me.
I reckon it's a go-er. I've been using PCOs for the past 25+ years, and just fancy giving this a try. The only clutch slippage I've had with PCOs was with very high mileage clutches and weak springs as a result of age and use.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Wet brake and clutch units in a tractor are similar to a motorcycle clutch, and clutch packs in auto transmissions, I can't see them wanting a brake to slip. I reckon it'll work just fine. I've used tractor oils in the past....but so long ago I can't even remember what bikes they were.
But automatic transmission oils have different friction modifications to prevent grabbing or slipping the tractor hydraulic oils are friction modifird so the brakes apply smoothly and don't grab or chatter, Does any recommended motorcycle oil with a wet clutch /shared motor oil require a slip before grab rating?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Silk
But automatic transmission oils have different friction modifications to prevent grabbing or slipping the tractor hydraulic oils are friction modified so the brakes apply smoothly and don't grab or chatter, Does any recommended motorcycle oil with a wet clutch /shared motor oil require a slip before grab rating?
I forgot we used to use ATF in the 2 stroke bike trans with out any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back