Competitor to Michelin defender??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the Defender is a typical use high end very long wear tire offering. It replaces (in part) the Hydroedge. Unlike the Hydroedge it is not directional, and is a bit less harsh over bumps. It is at least an 80,000 mile tire. It has received good reviews.

Tire rack reviews and ratings are a good place to look for a lower price offering with good performance.

You might want to consider the Continental ProContact with EcoPlus. It's highly rated by Consumer Reports and the Tirerack. I have a set in 225/60-16 and they're great.

It's predecessors (Hydroedge and Harmony quadruplets) were worth the extra coin. And from what I've heard, the same holds true for the Defender and nearly identical twin Defender XT. I wouldn't hesitate paying extra for them if I needed tires today, based my experience with the Destiny (one of the Harmony quadruplets).

Bridgestone Serenity Plus...check out their reviews and the road tests on Tire Rack. I had a set of the Defenders and ended up sending them back after out-of-round issues with 3 of 4 (including 2 replacements). I'm loving the Bridgestones on the van which handle and ride great and are surprisingly capable in rain and snow. Also, they are wearing like iron. The only noticeable advantage I found with the Defenders were they were a little quieter than the Bridgestones.

I had harmony on my last car, very good tire, expensive, but good.
To me, the defender is way too expensive, I mean its almost the price of 4 tires for a truck. riduculous.

I'm maybe looking for continetal procontact eco plus, they have good reviews on Tire Rack.

Last year while shopping for tires, I narrow down my choice to the Michelin Defender and Yokohama AVID Ascend. Both where new to the market, both where long-wear all-season touring tires (T-rated), both where LLR (X-green vs BluEarth) and both had a non-directional asymmetrical tread design. The Yokohama was cheaper at first but at the end, I got the Michelin Defender due to a nice rebate from them.

The Yokohama AVID Ascend is a good alternative to the Defender at a lower price.

The closest thing to the Defender's are the Cooper CS4 Touring in the T-speed rating. They are rated at a UTQG of 780, Traction A, and Temperature A. I had them on a 2003 Chevrolet Impala LS 3800 that lasted 138,000kms of 60/40 highway/city and Canadian winter driving and they were very quiet, reliable, predictable and priced very competitively.

Discount Tire Direct has them for $114USD per tire in the 215/60/16 size int eh T-speed rating. Best tire for long life, and best of all they are asymmetrical - good for tire rotations.

EDIT: Plus you get an 80,000 mile warranty with the CS4's. FWIW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheBig2003
they [Cooper CS4 Touring] are asymmetrical - good for tire rotations.

I believe the CS4 Touring is a symmetrical, but a non-directional tire.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: TheBig2003
they [Cooper CS4 Touring] are asymmetrical - good for tire rotations.

I believe the CS4 Touring is a symmetrical, but a non-directional tire.

Your right. My mistake, symmetrical, that what I meant, brain [censored].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back