When did they add additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the history of oil additives? I'm just guessing, but if we were to journey back to the 20's or 30's and visit a service station, my guess would be we would see pure oil in glass bottles. At what point in time did oil companies start adding things to make the oil better?

Nearest I can figure, detergent oil was around during WWII I believe, but all of it went to the war effort. Its only when the war ended that there was a surplus, and it started being marketed as "heavy duty" oil. I heard that somewhere.

Last edited:
IIRC, it was Caterpillar that started demanding detergent oil, somewhere in the mid-30s.

The forerunner of Infineum developed pour-point depressants, PPD's, in the late 20's and early thirty's.

The forerunner of Lubrizol developed an anti-oxidant around the same time called ZDDP which was later found to also be a good Anti-Wear additive, one of the first Multi-Functional additives.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1111352#Post1111352

Lubrication chemistry/engineering and Tribology had a marriage about this same time when it was found that base oils could be improved with specific chemistry's, called Performance Improvement (PI) additives.

Last edited:
I assume by the context of your question you are referring to commercial additives blended into manf. motor oils to improve performance.

We have to differentiate between this forum and commercial additives.

This forum seems has degenerated into Third-Party or Off The Shelf additives.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I assume by the context of your question you are referring to commercial additives blended into manf. motor oils to improve performance.

Correct. Not talking something the average Joe pours into his motor IN ADDITION to regular motor oil. Simply wondering when oil companies started adding things to their oils to make them better, (anti-wear, anti foam, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back