Castrol's new commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else caught the new commercial pitting it against M1 in a Challenger with a weight in the trunk. The M1 challenger blows up, lol - its slightly entertaining.
57.gif
crazy2.gif

*Sigh* They still haven't learned.

Everyone else concentrates on showing how their product is better for your car. Castrol has an insane Scotsman assault people, dumps sludge all over their cars, and now blows them up. They REALLY need to fire their advertising company.

I saw it, its entertaining. I wonder if anyone who isnt knowlegable of oil would actually believe that. Its a big dogs game and fights can get dirty. We dont need to judge oil based on commercials, we know better!!

Wow. Considering Castrol designed the test, it seems to me it could have been designed for them to win. Also, how is that testing relevant in real world use? Id rather base an oil on uoa's rather than a test designed by Castrol to show they are better.

So they blow up an engine and the "oil failed". Yeah, that's believable
smirk.gif
I've seen the commercial and realized they continue to target the left side of the bell curve with their marketing.

In defense of Castrol, this is just marketing, not a tech piece aimed at the BITOG educated crowd. Oil brand choice is about as tribal as "Chevy vs Ford" WRT trucks; seldom a reasonable discussion but rather an appeal to chest banging and wanting to see the other side fail.

Ask anyone why they "have to use GTX"; you won't get a reasonable response.

Last edited:
^ True.

Mobil has a nice video showing where they do competitor 25,000 mile testing, in real engines, and a video of some of their equipment that can measure wear in 3D. That's the stuff I like to see.

skip to 3:15

Wow that marketing is just a total insult to the viewers intelligence isn't it. Honestly, I just can't fathom marketing like this. Personally, it's far more likely to put me off using the brand than to attract me to it.

Castrol is using a very identical additive system (looks like Infineum) as Mobil 1. Castrol did well in the TEOST in Amsoil's study.

Mobil 1 EP has a 15k mile guarantee per XOM. Castrol and Pennzoil haven't stepped up to that.

Never really liked castrol products. Mobil 1 for sure. When i was younger i put some castrol in my old mpv minivan and about 30km later it started making the most horrible drivetrain noise ever. Dumped it out the next day and threw in some mobil 1 and never heard the noise again.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
In defense of Castrol, this is just marketing, not a tech piece aimed at the BITOG educated crowd. Oil brand choice is about as tribal as "Chevy vs Ford" WRT trucks; seldom a reasonable discussion but rather an appeal to chest banging and wanting to see the other side fail.

Ask anyone why they "have to use GTX"; you won't get a reasonable response.

+1 It was just supposed to be a funny commercial, instead of a guy in a lab coat talking about something most don't understand or care that much about.

Originally Posted By: buster
^ True.

Mobil has a nice video showing where they do competitor 25,000 mile testing, in real engines, and a video of some of their equipment that can measure wear in 3D. That's the stuff I like to see.

skip to 3:15

Yes that video's bean around for a while.
What I'd like to know is what heavy additive was Tony Stewart pouring to make the M1R 0W-50? Was it a heavy high VI mPAO or some type of polymer VII? Since it was clear I don't think it was the DI. Maybe some of our experienced formulators could offer an informed opinion (Tom_NJ or Molakule)?

That annoying and deceptive Castrol commercial has made my potential oil choices easier. Castrol is now off the list.

Castrol has been doing this since the days of the engines on test stands,and out of like 10 or 20 engines,only the Castrol SYNTEC held up.Back when Syntec was supposibly better than everybody else.HA! BP makes no sense at all.Castrol needs to change its name from Castor*Oil to something more realistic (although the same could be said from Pennz-Oil which isnt Pennsylvania crude anymore).

While I stopped watching after the 5th time last night, I think they said they ran the cars for 5 days non-stop? With no fans visible, I think they overheated before the oil failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back