Amazon sells Pennzoil Ultra 55 Gallon Drums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, who'd of thought Amazon sells a 55 gallon drum of Pennzoil Ultra. Comes out to about $6.86 a quart and free 2 day shipping if you have Amazon prime. It's not in stock, but I wonder how many people actually think of ordering 55 gallon oil drums from Amazon.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
55 gallons = 220 quarts at 5 quarts an oil change = 44 oil changes at 2 oil changes per year = 22 years. Just a thought.

Depends on your cars...

32 Packard - 8 QT
4 Runner - 5 QT
300E - 6 QT
Volvo - 6 QT
Volvo - 6 QT
Corolla - 4 QT
S600 - 10 QT

Total capacity = 45 QTs....so, 220 QTs = 4.9 oil changes for the fleet...and at 2 changes per year, it would be 2 and 1/2 years' worth of oil...

They have mag1 conventional at a price that works out to $8.60/gal. Cheaper than walmart's supertech by a whisker.

NAPA sells drums of oil as well (Mobil 1, Royal Purple, etc). Since there are deals on this stuff regularly, the drums aren't really that cost effective.

Drums are available for high-end oils like Motul 300V which don't go on sale...probably makes more sense.

If they were at Walmart they would be on clearance.

Pennzoil's "best oil" doesn't sell so much that it needs to be on clearance???....

Originally Posted By: dave1251
At nearly 7 dollars a quart. I will pass.

Pass on you favorite SOPUS product ?

WOW !

Most areas have a local oil distributor that will sell to individuals. There is one right down the street from my house that has warren oil (coastal) and conoco/phillips lines of oil, tropartic, kendall etc. They sell by 12 qt cases, some 5 gal buckets as well as 55 gal drums. I beleive if you buy the 55 gal drum, they will usually deliver for free to your house or shop.

Do a local search for oil distributor, if you call one that doesn't, they will know which ones do.

I do about 17-18 oil changes a year between 3 business vehicles and a personal. A 55 gal drum would be about a 2.5-3 yr supply for me so I have been checking to see if its worth it.

What I have generally found is the discount for going big is not enough to justify the trouble of dealing with a drum. You have to find a pump, containers, takes up more room, etc. The 12 qt case is easy to deal with and cost is still pretty cheap from the distributor.

Last edited:
Drums aren't about reduced cost, they're about reduced time (opening and emptying all of those quarts) and having to dispose of them when you're done.

Some places actually pay more money per gallon getting it in bulk, but it is worthwhile to them because of convenience.

I turn wrenches for Uncle Sam and at work we get nothing but 55 gallon drums, 15w40, 80w90, coolant, and many more…
It's a real pain in the [censored], and time consuming, messy as well to be extracting oil from them 55 gallon drums.
If we're lucky we'll get some 5 gallon drums.

That's why most of our customers have tanks, with pumps and hose reels. Even some of our customers that only order twice a year use that type of setup.

A lot of them use a Buddy Lube tank system, too. Much simpler, but it works.

We pump (or air feed, depending on the product) the oil into the tanks for them. Many of our customers are on our "pump route" where we go out weekly and check their tank levels, case quantities, filter quantities, kegs of gear oils, cases of brake parts cleaner, etc. and make recommendations of what they order to keep their stock up. Most places just automatically order what we suggest. Some of our customers get checked twice a week, and even with 300 gallon tanks they often order twice a week.

It's all about convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back