Spray Gun to Spray Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vegetable oil sticks very well, but eventually skins and sets through oxidation. I'll be trying a mix of veg and mineral oil next time.

I accidentally "discovered" that vegetable oil aged a few years in/under diesel forms what seems to be a stable gloop on the bottom, but I spilled the lot while putting it on a bicycle chain, so havn't been able to properly evaluate its anti-rust or chain lube potential.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Vegetable oil sticks very well, but eventually skins and sets through oxidation. I'll be trying a mix of veg and mineral oil next time.

I accidentally "discovered" that vegetable oil aged a few years in/under diesel forms what seems to be a stable gloop on the bottom, but I spilled the lot while putting it on a bicycle chain, so havn't been able to properly evaluate its anti-rust or chain lube potential.

Why not buy the right stuff like Fluid Film or CarWell?

Originally Posted By: Donald

Well yes. But then little new is learned except thru experimentation

Originally Posted By: jcwit

Partly that (I enjoy half-assed ghetto improvisations), partly because I’m cheap and the car (like nearly all my past cars) has negligible market value, but mostly because, even if I wanted to, I seriously doubt I’d be able to find those products here in Taiwan.

I suppose also because I'm British, and that's probably why I never heard of those products before.

In the UK, the market leader for DIY application is Waxoyl, a waxy substance semi-dissolved in white spirit. I used that on a car a long time ago, and was pretty convinced that engine oil was much more effective, much cheaper, and much more easily applied.

Are you telling me my 12 volt plug in the liter outlet compressor isn't going to cut it?

Dang!

I know, I know, but I had to say it. Please take it as it was ment to be taken, all in jest.

If only it did, how easy this would be!

I'll bet the airless would run off an inverter from the 12v outlet!

Partly that (I enjoy half-assed ghetto improvisations), partly because I’m cheap and the car (like nearly all my past cars) has negligible market value, but mostly because, even if I wanted to, I seriously doubt I’d be able to find those products here in Taiwan.

a lot of road salt in taiwan?

Cars don't generally rust too badly here, though they do tend to get flood-soaked during typhoons.

My current car, however, was previously owned by a surfer dude, and was rustier than most of my previous UK cars.

Since I'm from Scotland, that means it was pretty rusty.

Fraid not. Labour is cheap, cars are expensive. Getting a car that's been flooded is one of many gotcha's to the used-car scene, which is especially er...challenging here.

Thats one of the reasons I'm a bit obsessive about keeping my zero-value car going.

Last edited:
I am experimenting with Linseed oil. It dries to an air tight surface. No air , no rust. I wire brushed off the worst rust and put 3 heavy coats on the frame rails. I have a door to repair on one of the cars. When I do , I am gonna flood the inside of the door with it.

I had a 50$ Dart that leaked ATF out of the tailshaft seal. A pint every 2 weeks. The car was rusted to the door handles , but underneath, was rust free.

Last edited:
I'm not sure drying to an air tight surface is necessarily an altogether good thing, since if the skin detaches, rust may proceed under the surface. I think it MAY be better to retain some tackiness if possible.

Sunflower oil also dries but takes longer. In closed spaces here (where humidity is high) such as inside doors, it grows mould. Linseed oil is probably more resistant to that, but I'd guess it'll still do it some.

I don't yet know whether a mineral/veg oil blend is more resistant to moulding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back