Auto-Rx in a differential?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my diff oil this weekend and from the look of the nasty, goopy stuff that came out, I sure could use some A-Rx in the diffs to clean things up.

Can I use Auto-Rx in differentials and transfer cases that call for a 75W90 gear oil?

Thanks

Do you really think you need auto rx in your diff? I love ARX just as much as the other guy but why I change my diff fluid in my jeep I always spray about a 1/2 can of brake cleaner in there to get all the junk out. I think that is more than enough to clean out a dirty diff.

just my .02

I honestly think using Auto-Rx in your differential couldn't hurt and may be even necessary in certain cases especially if gear lube is allowed to stay in there too long. I'm no expert, however, in ccdhowell's case because of the the condition of his old gear lube, then I would say yes.

I personally use Amsoil's gear lubes all in my vehicles. Since I do this, I will probaby never do more than change out the fluid. The only time I will probably ever use a cleaner would be if I felt I had let the gear oil go too long and it came out thick and black. On the fluid change schedule I am on now, the differential fluid is still a golden color.

I have also used Auto-Rx in my transfer case because the old transmission fluid came out dark and smelled burned.

I was happy with the results in that case.

Bobby

wn1998, I can't use brake cleaner. The diffs in my Land Rover have an honest to goodness drain plug. I just drop the oil and observe. My observation lead me to believe that Auto-Rx would be a good thing in my diffs. Brake cleaner would be a great way to do it, but I'm not looking at the ring and pinion. This diff housing is similar to a Ford 9" housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back