ouch paid $20 for the tool to adjust my 2 cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
got a ryobi string trimmer. runs funny lately so i wanted to adjust the carb. So I notice it has funny screws and a quick check tells me its a Pac Man screw.

ok, no problem, should be a $5 tool. go searching and its $20 shipped. I could have gone Mcgyver and slotted them, but i ponied up the $20.

I am really surprised in that no forieign company offered them on Ebay.

I paid 40.00 for a tool that allows you to pull the sparkplug wires out of a 97 VW Jetta 2.0L. Only used it once. We sold the car but I kept the tool.

Ouch for $20 I'd at least want a bit kit for not only every small engine carb every made but also the prison warden special screws holding the bathrooms stalls at work together.
lol.gif

The ball joint tool kit for my 94 Dakota does ball joints on 1970s era Darts and other heaps from long ago; 1994 was the last year of that style and it looks unlikely that I'll ever dust that pricey socket off again.

A couple of years back there was somebody on fleabay that sold a package of 4 different tools for adjusting small engine carbs. IIRC it was about $40-50. Finally broke down and got 'em. They are really cheaply made, but work.

If you took the machine in to be adjusted it would cost way more than that!

Take it back!

I put a blue butt splice on the end of a small screw driver and use that. If the butt splice wears out, I can buy thousands for the $20 you spent for the tool!

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Take it back!

I put a blue butt splice on the end of a small screw driver and use that. If the butt splice wears out, I can buy thousands for the $20 you spent for the tool!

Where were you a couple of days ago!!! LOL

Quote:

Did you ask about this tool here couple of days ago? If you never ask, how would he be able to tell you?? I think you need to talk more :)- I bet you wife says the same thing to you :)

Google is your friend. That's where I learned it.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Take it back!

To be fair, I'm not sure the butt splice will fit the pacman screw. I have the splined screws.

So you may need the screwdriver you have for the pacman screws.

They do. Or perhaps I should say they did.

I got mine from eBay 4yrs or so ago for under $10 shipped to the door.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK

They do. Or perhaps I should say they did.

I got mine from eBay 4yrs or so ago for under $10 shipped to the door.

i think it might be a patented item. I check and searched the net and amazon was the least expensive.

Wow that is strange..

Back when I bought my Sears/AYP/Poulan/Ryobi,etc.. carb adjustment tool, there were tons of them avail on eBay. I just did a search and couldn't find a single one like what I have.

I know with mine, I've probably tweaked a dozen or so little 2-strokes into running better than they did right out of the box.

Even if the tool was $40, it was worth every penny.

Well i returned the string trimmer that i fixed to my BIL. low and behold he says he has a blower that need to be fixed.

it a homelite and it uses the same pac man screws. well at least i will get at least 2 uses out of it

I had to buy the same tool for my ryobi trimmer. The sad thing is, almost everyone has had a negative experience with cheap trimmers because they're never tuned right. They either won't work period or wont throttle right. I would guess millions end up in landfills when all they need is a simple tune.

My ryobi ran like [censored] when i first got it, after i tuned it the thing runs perfect every day. Burns right through knee high weeds no problem, and of course works excellent for regular trimming. I'm on three years now, for $100 i'm happy.

Because EPA mandates that the owner is not allowed to adjust the carb richer, selling those tools to the public is probably a federal offense or something now.

Bought all four tools for $25 on Ebay a couple years ago. Free shipping I think. 30 or so people a year come in and get their free 1/4 turn. Word of mouth about the idiot with the tools spreads fast!

My understaning is, the EPA got on Ebay about people selling the tools. So Ebay told sellers of these tools that they are not allowed to list them for sale. The guy I bought my set from, told me EWbay deleted all of his listings for them, and emailed him that they are banned items. I found out about what was going on on another fourm and jumped on getting some before I couldn't buy them on Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back