do scratches bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like any daily driver gets scuffs and scratches. No matter how careful little scratches occur. Always In and around the door handle to. I hate this..
Does it bother you guys a lot to or am I crazy?

No. When I purchased my Saturn the back bumper cover was scratched. That was a selling point for me. At the time I was working with someone that used a wheelchair. I knew it was going to happen anyway. I would prefer a mechanically sound car compared to perfect exterior.

YES!!!! im so paranoid about my cars exterior/interior...but the occasional scratch still happens. having a nice coat of wax/paint sealant always helps lessen the blow. A dd is bound to get them here and there. Just part of life...unfortunately =/

Scratches happen,not much you can do about it.

On the other hand,I park as far away as possible from anyone else,because people who dont watch their doors when gettin in or out lead to door dings,etc that I wont' tolerate or except.

Depends what car is getting a scratch. When new....I have a VERY hard time dealing with it. Especially if it's from some foolish moron at work that gives me a door ding. My older car now has a pretty bad one from such an idiot. I got over it now. My new Honda Ridgeline is another story. It worries me whenever I park it. I do my best to keep it far away from other cars....but I know that someday it will happen. It's black as well.....so washing and keeping it looking nice can be a chore. But it sure looks good to me when it's all cleaned up!

Not anymore.

For me, when a vehicle is in really good shape, I tend to be anal about it. Once the body is broken in, I don't give a [censored].

In a way, not caring anymore is liberating. I no longer worry about a tiny paint chip rusting and ruining everything I worked so hard for. I can rub the truck up against a tree or something and not care as long as I didn't smash a window or light. Detailing has gone from being an all day thing to 30 minutes.

Still, I sometimes miss the days when my truck turned heads because it looked good, not because it looks like it survived the apocalypse.

Sometime in 2009...exquisite beauty protected only by liability insurance/uninsured motorist and self-control. Poor protection plan to say the least.
IMG_0851.jpg

Not its first or last damage, but the most devastating, sometime in late 2010.
IMG_1145.jpg

Most recent pic from a couple weeks ago...
IMG_2680_zps22373f14.jpg

Notice the driver's side is now slightly crunched too from a trailer jackknife incident. The good thing is I can jackknife a trailer into the side and it doesn't matter anymore.

When I was younger I would lose sleep over every rock chip and tiny scratch. Once I learned that it's just a part of car ownership, and that it's totally downhill once you buy it, I slept a lot better.

However, things like clear bras and smart parking habits can certainly reduce the chances of damage.

As dumb as this sounds I feel less than, sort of when my car is scratched up.

Its like "man I want a nicer car" but then I think it is reliable and not all banged up just minor blemishes maybe its not so bad. The more I age the better I am getting about this. But it still sucks!

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Not anymore.

For me, when a vehicle is in really good shape, I tend to be anal about it. Once the body is broken in, I don't give a [censored].

In a way, not caring anymore is liberating. I no longer worry about a tiny paint chip rusting and ruining everything I worked so hard for. I can rub the truck up against a tree or something and not care as long as I didn't smash a window or light. Detailing has gone from being an all day thing to 30 minutes.

Still, I sometimes miss the days when my truck turned heads because it looked good, not because it looks like it survived the apocalypse.

Sometime in 2009...exquisite beauty protected only by liability insurance/uninsured motorist and self-control. Poor protection plan to say the least.
IMG_0851.jpg

Not its first or last damage, but the most devastating, sometime in late 2010.
IMG_1145.jpg

Most recent pic from a couple weeks ago...
IMG_2680_zps22373f14.jpg

Notice the driver's side is now slightly crunched too from a trailer jackknife incident. The good thing is I can jackknife a trailer into the side and it doesn't matter anymore.

Hard to tell from the picture but couldn't you use one of them suction cup dent removers to make that a little better. Mine has come in handy.

Possibly, but considering the Super Cab is still partially smashed in on the other side, I'm not too worried about fixing it.

I did smash out the taillight on that side a couple months ago due to a run in with a tree, and I popped some of the jackknife dent out by hand then, but once it was good enough for the new taillight I was done.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: Gabe
The first scratch on a new car is always hard to take.

agree ^ a sad day for sure.

Even worse on a motorcycle...

^ +1 for andrewg.

It depends on the vehicle.

One of the best that comes to mind is the time I was driving an old 1970 Buick Skylark that I knew was about a week away from going to the bone yard.

I was on the 22 street bridge south bound and there was a ramp to my right that merged into my lane. Some man modeling after Huggy-Bear from Starskey and Hutch, dressed to the hilt with a suit, tie, and a hat with a big long feather, driving a huge pink Cadillac with a nice wax job, with the drivers window open, is coming on that ramp to my right, and he is rite beside my vehicle at the same speed. He starts to come closer like I am going to move over for him. I thought, you really want to swap paint with this old heap, come on. I did not give him even 1/8 of an inch, and I did not change speed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another one, before that I was driving that same vehicle (big old 1970 Buick Skylark) and some young driver driving a new truck was not paying attention and did not stop when I and the vehicles in front of me did. He hit the back of that big old Buick and when he got out of it he is apologizing and admitting it was all his fault. I am a little concerned about the shape of the big old Buick, and did not say a word, but kept inspecting the Buick. There is a dimple in the center of the back bumper but nothing else. I open and close the trunk and it works fine. I turned to him and said forget about it. He said are you sure. I said the trunk still works fine and that little dent is nothing. He said thanks and turned around to start back to the new truck he was driving. And that is when he first looked at the front of the truck and said out loud, my boss is going to kill me. The whole front was totaled.

When I was single I cared quite a bit about scratches. Now that I'm married with kids my car has certain move down the list of priorities (besides standard PM). My main concern now with my car is to keep it running so I don't have to buy a different one!

My next car will certainly be used. I bought this one new. Living in NE WI you know that new car is going to take a beating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back