Boric acid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently heard that boric acid is supposed to be a very good friction reducer when added to engine oil. Is this true? It seems like putting something in the oil with the word "acid" in it seems like it may not be a good idea. Thoughts, opinions?

I thought boric acid was used to kill roaches. Never heard of putting it in motor oil!
dunno.gif

Boric acid attracts water so it is not a wise to put that in motor oil. Acids attack bearings and other metallic parts.

Most modern motor oils contain, as part of their additive package or formulation, a boron or borate compound specially reacted and compounded for motor oil or gear lubes.

It is not a good idea to attempt to change the chemistry of your PCMO or gear lube.

The information I heard said something about coating the engine and making it very slippery. But, as I stated in my original post, the acid thing made it sound very supicious. Thanks for the replies. Maybe if I ever find roaches in my crankcase I'll add some boric acid.
grin.gif

quote:

It is not a good idea to attempt to change the chemistry of your PCMO or gear lube.

What about LC? MMO? Mixing oil brands/viscosities? Could be boric acid in LC for all I know.
dunno.gif
Ok, probably not, but still... we put lots of things in our oil/gas that we (or at least I) don't know the exact contents of.

Back on topic, don't forget the moth balls in your gas tank!
wink.gif
You can be a mobile pest-control station.

I've a half kilo of sodium tetraborate decahydrate that I can chuck onto ebay...minus a few teaspoons.
smile.gif

diamondlarry,

Are you referring to the MotorSilk guys ? The claim to have an additive that includes boric acid as an intermediate that creates a boron cycle on the surface of metals. Apparently this additive originates with a NASA / Argonne National labs effort. "Boron CLS Bond" is apparently patented. I don't know anything about this strategy but on the surface (no pun intended) is sound like the same mechanism as other EP additives.

Just because someone trying to blow smoke on you doesn't necessary mean that they are telling da truth.

Mola is right about boric acid and frankly, who would wanna throw some boric acid into their motor oil to begin with (if there's ever the intention of doing so).

Modern motor oils are, IMHO, leapyears away from what we used to use a decade ago, or even 6 yrs ago to be honest with you. I wouldn't wanna upset the balance of the chemical additives/packages within and will constantly question the motives/thoughts of adding something "foreign" into the oil mix.

technological advancements in electronic computer management control (EFI, E-DI, etc.) has reached a never attainable level of fuel delivery precision and control to the point where because of a more complete burn, a well-controlled cold start fuel/air mixture delivery, etc. lubricating oil film washoff(dilution) by raw, unburned gasoline problem is almost gone (recall caburettor?). This is also an indirect contributing factor to the longevity of motor oil in modern engine due to lack of washoffs(dilution) and contamination due to incomplete combustion process, and less crankcase contamination...

I never really seriously considered it because of the sound of the acid thing. It doesn't even SOUND like a good idea. I knew that if I asked around on here I would get much better information.

On the subject of acid;

Thou shalt NOT wash thine conveyance with muriatic acid, even if the bug build-up in front is severe.

Neither shalt thou shove beans up thine nose.

Thou art welcome.

Most motor oil supplements/additives simply increse viscosity, AW additives, friction modification, some synthetic base oil, and maybe some solvents to the base oil. They are formulated to mix and work with the motor oil.

Dumping in some boric acid will significantly change your tbn and may increase corrosion.

The Luboron stuff, etc is a specially reacted form of boron as is Amide Borate esters.

Putting pure elemental chemicals into the oil only asking for trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back