Mobil 1 0W-40 SM vs SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found somewhere online that I can get Mobil 1 0W-40 SM. It says "European Car Formula" on the bottle and the bottle is silver. Is this much of a muchness compared to the SN (gold bottle) version available in the shops? I gather the SM is an old formula?

Car is 2001 Audi A4 2.0. Driven in the suburbs. Currently have Mobil 1 0W-40 SN in there. Oh, and I'm in Australia.

Cheers.

Stop fretting about nothing. Just use which ever one is available on the car.

One less thing to worry about unless you like worrying about things.

eddie

But where is the "Down Under Formula?" Mobil needs to get its act together.

Originally Posted By: toyota62
Hi Mate.
I would use SN version.Why don't you use Fuchs GT1 0w-20?
Cheers.
Bob.

Fuchs GT1 0w20 is not even close to the right kind of oil that car needs.

The SM is fine to use. A few folks around here say the SM formula is "better" than the newer SN, but I think that in normal street use you won't know the difference.

I would run that oil without any hesitation.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Well, it might be okay if he were in Saskatchewan in January and driving only 10 blocks at a time. In Australia, not so much.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: dparm

Well, it might be okay if he were in Saskatchewan in January and driving only 10 blocks at a time. In Australia, not so much.
wink.gif

I have some FUCHS Titan GT-1 XTL 0W-20 and would run it without hesitation in my Bimmer (maybe even in my Porsche) year round if it wasn't so bloody expensive. This is a heavy 20wt, ester based, VII free, ZN free oil.
When it was first released years ago they ran in the Porsche GT3 Cup racing series without issue to prove a point.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I have some FUCHS Titan GT-1 XTL 0W-20 and would run it without hesitation in my Bimmer (maybe even in my Porsche) year round if it wasn't so bloody expensive. This is a heavy 20wt, ester based, VII free, ZN free oil.
When it was first released years ago they ran in the Porsche GT3 Cup racing series without issue to prove a point.

True, but don't the four-ringers, especially his older vintage version, call for heavier than a middle 30 weight by factory specs??!
21.gif

hahaha yeah you're right about the fretting and worrying thing! I think I have an acute case of oil-worry-fever. Seems to be infectious around these parts!!!

As for the FUCHS Titan GT-1 XTL 0W-20, I think an xW-20 is way too thin for my car. I have never seen a VW 502.00 spec oil in a 20grade. They're all xW-30 to 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back