anyone know how many miles it takes for LC to do its job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
gr8gatzby,

Lube Control is not a one time additive, LC is more of a additive you need to continuously use because the engine will dirty itself from use,
a internal combustion engine continuously gets dirty from the breakdown of oil, the blowby debris pumped into the oil, etc.,
to keep the engine clean and help the lubricant do its job LC needs to be added on a regular basis, hope this helps.

thanks for the reply bill!

perhaps i should rephrase: how many miles till LC starts to break down, and ceases its magic....

Do A search, LC starts to dissipate or burn off somewhere between 700 and 1000 miles of use, there is some mention of LC doing this in the Additive Threads area.
LC is activated by heat and/or is attracted to heat and does it work
grin.gif

I will have a UOA coming out soon with the use of LC and will we see if my UOA is different from my past UOAs.

I will be posting a 9k run one without LC, the other with 10% LC. I just have not gotten around to it so look forward to that hopefully this weekend.

Bill, I realize you're essentially describing a maintenance routine, here's a different take on that question- what about w/ varnish? How long util it would, say remove a decent coat of varnish? An average engine is not going to reapply a thick varnish THAT quickly, is it? Everyone always says LC for varnish. Just wondering how long?

Depends completely on the engine, driving habits, dose, thickness of varnish, etc etc etc.

Personally, I recommend LC20 to people based on it's solvency to keep insoluable in check, and it's anti-oxidiation abilities and never mention the removable of cosmetic varnish.

Put 10 oz LC in in a friend's 93 Grand Marquis 4.6 and within 1000 miles, it dropped oil burning from 1 quart every 300 miles to around 1000 miles. Later, after 2 ARX cycles, it leveled out to about 1 quart of oil per 1500 miles. No exhaust smoke now either! She's real happy with the results.

It begins working immediately, however I noticed a dramatic difference after the first 100-200 miles in engine smootheness, etc. and this difference will continue to increase with each passing mile for the next couple thou. miles at which point the oil should be getting pretty dark and necessitating an earlier-than-usual OCI. Just make sure you continue adding the 1oz/1k amount before the OCI.

I started using LC20 in my Mazda with about 45,000 miles on it. Not long after I put the initial dose in, I noticed this: Sorry for the poor clarity, it's the best I could get.

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=o6bndu

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=o6bs7o

That tiny black spot showed up within 1000 miles of my first LC20 dose. I'm not sure what it is, but it concerns me. What could it be? Has anyone else seen this happen in their engine?

Believe me, I tried to get a clearer picture. I even messed with the manual focus and exposure on my camera. Maybe I'll try again...

This is not a bash so don't take it at face value. In short, the very SMALL black spot is some sort of deposit, but everything else is perfectly clean. It showed up very recently, and I just want to know if other people have had similar results.

It starts to work to a noticeable degree within the first 500 miles on an already clean engine. If you are topping up the LC ever 1000 miles your engine should be fairly clean with in one or two oil changes.

If the engine was really dirty I would do the 16onces LC flush.Normaly it is recomended to run the 16 onces for 15-30 minutes then drain. It is even safe in most cases to drive around a few hundred miles with the 16 once flush inside the engine to speed up the cleaning process. It is not advised that one should regularly drive around with a flush dose in though.Sometimes it is needed to speed up cleaning in a heavily sludged or varnished engine.

I believe that back of the LC bottle says 4oz per qt max for a flush. Install and then let engine idle for no more than 15 minutes. Shortly followed thereafter "LC not responsible for damage from misuse" I dont know if I would trust driving around with that much in there.

LC stabilizes the host motor oil almost immediately upon introduction and heat cycling in the engine.

Its most amazing capability from my point of view is the ability to reduce oxidation in the oil. The ability to remove deposits and clarify "dirty" oil is secondary.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND LC as a "flush".

Use Auto-RX instead.

LC is just not that strong or effective as a flush.

The solvency of LC will deplete in about 1000 miles but the lubricity and anti-oxidation effect remains intact over the drain. The key is to find the proper level and recharge frequency in YOUR specific application.

No doubt consistent use will remove embedded coloration and activated EP adds deposits to the naked eye. Not the actual EP films.

I have never observed any "black dots" or any other deposit formation using LC on seals,metals, or other engine materials.

I have used full strength LC on rubber seals on body and window seals and it removes oxidation fast and leaves a nice oily film. Be careful not use on a thin seal that is in poor shape. Oxidation deposits may be all that is left and LC will clean it off !

Won't clean as deeply/effectively as Auto-RX.

LC disperses and uses colloidal carbon as a lubricant some how, I am not a chemist. It is not designed to remove hard buildup or large levels of contamination. It enhances the oil it is added to.

I use it to purge before switching a test engine to another chemistry but these are clean engines.

Auto-RX is a metal cleaner that acts like a liquid filter.

Both companies hate when I mention them in the same thread but I am sharing what I see in testing and what works.

I personally use Auto-RX periodically as a cleaner at the end of oil drains. I use LC in oils that need it to make less wear and maintain oxidation stability.

Now Auto-RX may have a maintenance dosage capability but I have not been compensated to test for that possibility. I know that Auto-RX use will lower wear, how it does that and cleans is not totally known.

Thank you Terry.

I have completed 2 full cycles of ARX and will soon complete my one (and only) ARX maintainance dose before switching over to LC.

Is it reasonable to assume that this switch could yield additional cleaning benefit? Perhaps something that ARX didn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back