Engine Restore Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may give you better commpression, but it has copper and iron in it I think.

Best bet for better compression safely would be to use AutoRx, it is "expensive"($30) compared to other additives/cleaners, but much cheaper than rebuilding your motor.

will auto rx unstick my rings and improve my compression? i currently have seafoam in my oil, i was hoping this would work, but havent checked yet. I have only had the seafoam in for like 50miles so far anyway.

I know this isn't a good test but a guy that worked with me had an old ford bronco with a 302 in it. He parked it on an incline in front of an Advance Auto parts store where we are and when he came out the bronco was down against the store. It moved about 10 feet in the 10 minutes he was in the store shopping. He said he just had it in 2nd gear and didn't set the parking brake. The incline wasn't that steep but enough I guess to work against what little compression he had. For nothing better to do and just to see what would happen I bought him a can of Restore and he put it in the bronco. He ran it about 800 miles or so and had to make another stop at the parts store. He parked it in the same spot in the same gear and he spent about the same amount of time in the store if not a little longer and the bronco never mored. Just thought it was an interesting ordeal. I'm sure there are many factors that could explain it and that the retore did nothing. He did note that it seemed to run better, but then it could just be his imagination.

um
what does compression have to do with the clutches ability to hold a vehicle on an incline ???

The vehicle is turned OFF when he was parked, correct ????

there is no compression !!!!!!!!

you want better compression try using a thicker oil, or get your valves and rings replaced.

Yes, but at least the guy proved something by letting an empty 2 ton vehicle roll around a retail parking lot unsupervised.

Twice.

Of course there is compression!
lol.gif
Pull all your plugs out and hit the starter as if doing a compression test. The engine will turn much faster than with the plugs in - due to lack of compression.
pat.gif
If you still think there is no compression with an engine off, you're welcome to try and turn my Cummins over at only 18 - 1 by hand - just about can't be done.
cheers.gif

you handled that better than I would have Russ!!!

Hey nich, it's not the clutch holding the vehicle on an incline, it's the pistons trying to compress air in the cylinders that holds it. Like taking a syringe and pushing on it with your finger over the outlet???
pat.gif

If your clutch is slipping when simply parked on an incline in gear with only the compression of the non-running motor holding you still, then compression is clearly the least of your issues.

Better have your buddy buy a clutch when he is in that auto parts store...

;-)

Hey Rat407, maybe the Restore allowed the rings to seal better (or possibly the valves). What is the viscosity of Restore, maybe it thickened up the overall viscosity of the oil? If the Bronco was as bad as that story implies, who knows, maybe the Restore helped. The improved compression certainly would have made the motor feel stronger.

Regards,

Rich

PS - I couldn't come close to pushing any of my cars around with the clutch engaged although I have done it with my 325is with the no plugs installed in order to adjust the valves.

I've used it in a ratty old beater that I had in the past. It smoked enough to kill mosquitoes prior but smoked a great deal less afterwards. I wouldn't recommend it other than a last chance effort to keep something running.

He was tickled with the way it ran after wards. As far as his clutch's condition. It was fine from what I knew. Maybe it did seal the rings better, like it claims too. All I know is that he said it ran better and didn't move like it did before when parked on an incline. The vehicle was a beater and all he used it for was around town and back and forth to work. I know I can't push my 65 Impala when it is in gear. The 396 big block will not spin over easily.

Like RTexasF said, good to use as a last resort to keep things running untill a rebuild can be done.

had a 92 ranger I parked on the street, left in second gear no set parking brake. returned to discover my vehicle roling down the street. I was able to run it down and narrowly avoid jumping a curb to entertain some houseguest with a new 1 ton centerpeice for their home.always set your parking brake. double blind experiments can be dangerous/deadly!

RichD,

This thread has nothing to do with clutches. In a manual transmission vehicle, with the parking brake off, the only thing that prevent gravity from moving the vehicle is the force required to spin the engine. If you park in high gear, the vehicle moves fairly easily. If you park in first or reverse, the vehicle should be very difficult to move. This is a well known phenomenon anywhere that has hills and manual transmissions.

To Get Back on the subject here: I used restore
in my 1978 Chevy Van with over 300,000 miles
on the 350 V-8. The only thing I noticed was I
had worn valve guides on the # 8 cylinder which
allowed the restore to leak in to the cylinder
on shut down and fouled the spark plug terribly

In theory if your clutch can't hold that badly then I can't imagine how you drive the things. Any amount of torque would send it slipping away.

GMorg wrote >
> This thread has nothing to do with clutches. In
> a manual transmission vehicle, with the parking
> brake off, the only thing that prevent gravity
> from moving the vehicle is the force required
> to spin the engine. If you park in high gear,
> the vehicle moves fairly easily. If you park in
> first or reverse, the vehicle should be very
> difficult to move. This is a well known
> phenomenon anywhere that has hills and manual
> transmissions.

GMorg, I am fully aware, I was only having a little fun at the expense of the individual who brought up the clutch as the reason the vehicle moved (sorry that wasn't clear but the winking smiley face meant I was basically joking).

If a car really did move due to the clutch slipping (parked in gear without the motor running), you can rest assured that compression really is the least of your issues.

:)

Regards,

Rich - with four vehicles, all with manual transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back