Throttle body gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be pulling the throttle body off the GP in order to clean it and am wondering if I need to replace the throttle body gasket or if the old one should be fine. AFAIK it is the original gasket with more than 136k miles on it.

If it were as simple as running down to the parts store and buying one for $10 I'd do it for simple peace of mind but it is a special order part, thereby delaying the process, which I was hoping to do this weekend.

Just had the throtlebody of my engine when changing the sparkplugs. And after 7 years the gasket was still soft. After cleaning it with a cloth it was like new. The car is a nissan but think it.s the same on most cars.

Last edited:
Well, if you reuse the original and you start throwing codes for running lean you'll know the answer. Did you call the local dealer? It may be $15 vs. $10 from the FLAPS, but it's probably worth the extra $.

I would not do it, but then again, my TB gasket is ALWAYS in stock at my local indie parts store, and costs about the same as the ones from Rock Auto.
wink.gif

But, as threeputpar said above, you could try reusing the old one, and maybe order a new one to have just in case you get those pesky vacuum leaks.

Do you know what kind of gasket it is? Many are reusable o-rings.

I'm still using the original after 11 years/140K miles. It was still soft and in perfect shape when I cleaned the TB last summer. In my case it would be a special order dealer part...if a parts store had one that's "close enough," I still doubt it would fit as well as the original. The o-rings in Ford intake tracts usually have little bumps to keep them in place and are not just standard o-rings. They appear to be made of silicone or something else that doesn't deteriorate/crack like natural rubber.

Since your gasket is also special order, I'm betting it's a similar non-standard reusable design that isn't normally replaced unless it somehow gets damaged. You could order one for peace of mind, but the original should be totally fine to use.

Your 3800III motor should use a Felpro Throttle Body gasket # 61447.
No way I would reuse a TB gasket on any 3800 motor.

Originally Posted By: ron350
Your 3800III motor should use a Felpro Throttle Body gasket # 61447.
No way I would reuse a TB gasket on any 3800 motor.

Yes, that's the part number for the Felpro but I think I will go with the Victor Reinz (G31978) for a buck more.

Thanks for that insight on my specific family of engines.

I reuse throttle body gaskets unless they're cut or torn. If I need to replace them, I usually make them myself. If you don't have a stock roll of gasket material, cereal box cardboard or milk carton material works well.

I save my money $5 at a time, and my cars are none the worse for it.

The GM 3800 1,2,3 motors use molded rubber throttle body gaskets that are not flat or round.
These gaskets also seal water passages and heat set so need to be replaced each time the TB is removed

I can't see how removing and reinstalling the linguini-ring throttle body gasket could harm it in any way. Should the gasket leak as a result of normal shrinkage (eventually this will happen) you must replace it, so normally there's some time savings and no additional cost to the approach of replacing it when you're already there.

If obtaining a new gasket will delay the work you intend to do, then that adds an additional cost to the "replace it now" approach. In this case it makes more sense to reuse the old one.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
I can't see how removing and reinstalling the linguini-ring throttle body gasket could harm it in any way. Should the gasket leak as a result of normal shrinkage (eventually this will happen) you must replace it, so normally there's some time savings and no additional cost to the approach of replacing it when you're already there.

If obtaining a new gasket will delay the work you intend to do, then that adds an additional cost to the "replace it now" approach. In this case it makes more sense to reuse the old one.

The only work I plan to do is remove, clean, and replace the throttle body, so there is no real rush. I cleaned up what I could with TB cleaner sprayed on a rag but can see that it needs a lot more and I can't just spray the TB while it is still installed due to the supercharger. I'll order the gasket and hope to get some time the following weekend to do the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back