uoa Volvo d11 delo 400 15w40 25,347 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 Volvo 630 with d11 engine and 196,737 miles at sample time. 25, 347 miles, 560 hours on oil (102 hrs idling) bought sample at truckstop in Wisconsin at time of oil change. Tested by ana laboratories in bellmawr, nj. I previously only sampled at speedco with their benchtop quickie test. My concern with this sample is my low viscosity. Copper and lead are double my usual numbers but lots of very cold starts may be part of that. My first post and have no idea what I am doing, hope this works.

Copper 12

Lead 4

Tin 0

Alum 6

Nick 1

Iron 12

Chrom 1

sodium 4

Boron 120

Silicon 6

Water
Soot 0.40 %

Glycol neg

Fuel 2.00

Sae grade 30

Visc @ 100c 10.09

Moly 92

Mg 313

CA 1260

Phos 1183

Zn 992

any comments gratiously accepted. Never posted in my life, hope to learn this stuff (posting) and contribute in the future. I only have this smartphone, which I tend to dumb down.

560 hours - 102 idling = 458 rolling hours; the usual figure is 40 miles per hour average, which gives us 18320 mile OCI.

This oil looks like it's still got life left in it to me, but hard to tell without TBN. The 2% fuel may have to do with the oil being in the middle-low part of the 30 weight range (9.30-12.49 cSt @ 100ºC). Was the oil changed after idling for several hours?

I wouldn't worry too much about the copper and lead being slightly higher, we're still talking only single digit differences. Also different labs have different capabilities when testing fluids, you would do well to try to use the same one again and determine a baseline. TBN would be helpful on subsequent tests.

Not a bad looking report aside from the viscosity & fuel numbers. Wear metals and soot are low and still plenty of active additives left.

I forgot to mention sump cap is 38 qts and it was down just one qt at drain. Zero makeup oil. I studied on this site for a few months before joining so I was kind of suprised at add depletion. Still learning...

Welcome to the site!

The Cu is a thing to note, and it's certainly not at an alarm level; just cautionary. The Cu may be a reaction to a chemistry shift, most likely from an oil cooler that has Cu brazing, if such an item is present. However, keep an eye on Cu, as if it continues to escalate then it could be the precursor of bearing wear. If the Cu continues up, and the Pb starts up, then you'll know for sure. As I said, this is not a time to panic, but a time to be cautious and continue monitoring.

The other things look decent. 2% fuel is not a huge problem, keep an eye on it also; if it escalates (and you don't have a significant change in driving pattern) then a leaking injector may be at fault. Excessive idling also greatly contributes to higher fuel ...

The vis has dropped, but it may have tappered down and settled. The only way to know would be to take mutiple successive UOAs and follow its degradation through the OCI; single points cannot really tell you how it's regressing.

The soot and other stuff look very commendable. You are no where near any condemnation limits that I can see.

UOAs are not really a toy, although many BITOGers use them that way. To really understand your equipment, you need to keep consistent with inputs (brand and grade of lube, driving pattern as much as possible, etc) and then track the variable outputs (UOA data) to establish ranges, and look for trends.

Last edited:
thanks for analysis. I do have 5 previous reports (all from speedco quick lubes where they do on site analysis) and those reports all showed fuel as
Also wear levels were virtually same as this except for copper and lead. Those were doubled in this sample.

I admit over last few months reading this site made me want to join and share my info. But with my truck, sampling oil is a tool. Watching for trends and eventually extending drains with knowledge gained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back