Chevron Techron Concentrate...fuel sending unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
When attempting to correct a bad fuel sending unit wound it be best to let a car sit for a few days with a full tank and a bottle of techron to let it "soak" in hopes of cleaning the sulfur deposits off? As some have had success with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Sounds like a decent plan to me. Don't forget to add the Techron first, then fill the tank.

yep +1

I would say add the Techron. Then fill half full at a nearby station. Then let it soak for a few days. That way you get a higher concentration of Techron while it is soaking. Then fill the tank after letting it sit a few days.

Originally Posted By: otis24
I would say add the Techron. Then fill half full at a nearby station. Then let it soak for a few days. That way you get a higher concentration of Techron while it is soaking. Then fill the tank after letting it sit a few days.
....But would the fuel be completely covering the sending unit if it wasn't full?

I simply followed the directions, a bottle on an empty tank, fill and drive. Took two bottles but it did work, completely restored a haywire sending unit.

I continued to work flawlessy at least a year and a half after that too, got rid of the vehicle at that point.

Has any of you who use Techron had this product cause a CEL using the recommended dosage?

We have an 08 5.4L 3V with a 30gal fuel tank--->That gives us a CEL almost every time I add the recommended dosage. After about a 1/2 a tank is used we fill back up to 30 gallons and give her about 20 miles of 65-70mph highway driving and the CEL goes out.

I will normally use 20oz about every 4th fill up.

Redline SL-1 does the exact same thing.

Just curious if others have this issue?

Obligatory Response:-

It would be helpful to tell us what was the actual code. Otherwise you will be getting "change muffler bearings" type of answers.

P0300---->Same code we always get after adding Techron or Redline or Gumout. Misfire on multiple cylinders!

One of the strange things with after this code---> Without A/C on the 5.4L idles very smooth. With the A/C on the 5.4L has a some what very noticeable vibration.

Plugs have all been changed 10K miles ago... I am fixing to replace all the coils. Maybe that will help.

Well did some reading on the P0300 code! Very nice could be one of 30 things. Only funny thing is--> It only appears after adding a fuel additive. LoL!

Do you agree that getting P0300 after using Techron would be considered pure coincidence? I can not think of any thing that you have listed would be exacerbated by fuel system cleaner.

AND A BIG THANK YOU for that link! That looks like the best automotive repair shop in the world.

Anybody in Baton Rouge area to comment on the shop? Their web-site and the entire philosophy puts their shop like an Oasis in the cesspool of typical auto repair places.

I would love to know that they are real rather than just a slick website.

ROFL! Ok! I still haven't decided if this is really simple logic or not.

We bought the truck with 170K miles on it. Not one code ever thrown.

We bring the truck home->I do some very simple routine maintenance to the 5.4L 3V.

I then get a brite idea while sleeping one night! I need to add some fuel additive to maybe clean the fuel system up some before my son starts driving it back and forth to college.

My first Additive was 8oz MMO-->{My fault for reading a few threads and becoming brain washed}. 8oz MMO then filled up with 30 gallons of fuel. 3 days later a CEL is thrown. Had the CEL scanned-->P0300. Slight Vibration @ Idle in Drive. Once in Park or Neutral-->No Vibration!

Drove the truck until we could add 15gallons of fresh fuel. Filled up. Drove for 20-50 miles CEL went off-->No more Vibration.

I didn't add any more additive until summer-->Not another CEL thrown. Total duration 4 months.

Then before summer oil change--I had another 3 IQ idea and added 2 bottles of Gumout HM Fuel System Cleaner 6oz per 21 gallons.
Not that much of an overdose. Almost the same result! Same Vibration! Cured the problem by adding 15 to 18 gallons fresh fuel. After a few days of highway driving the CEL cleared and vibration went away.

Went the entire summer without any additive and No CEL!

Before Winter! I did it again! I will not learn my lesson. Before oil change I added 15oz of Redline SI-1---->After a few days another CEL thrown. Once again. Filled up and drove a few days and CEL went away. Scanned once again before CEL went away--->P0300!

Now! after this I ran the whole winter without any additive in the fuel. Not one CEL thrown.

I did talk to Redline and was told to try 3oz every other fill up as a maintenance dose. I did this for a few months with never a CEL thrown. Hmmm!

Then once again-->My High IQ got the best of me and I added a whole bottle of Techron to 30 gallons of fresh fuel. In about 3 to 4 days---> CEL thrown.

We will go the whole summer with no additive just to test this one more final time. If no CEL? I will stick to 3oz of Redline every time he comes home from college.

I still have plans on replacing battery and all 8 coils and boots and have the fuel pressure checked. Before he leaves for college.

It's really hard to think any different cause when I can go 4 months to 6 months with no CEL and as soon as I added fuel additve and it mixes with the fuel good---> A CEL is thrown.

that was a very professional article from Baton Rouge. I wonder if they buy that from someone? Otherwise they might have a full time mechanic just doing web articles, and an experienced at engines and web sites person at that.

They are a different type of outfit.

They are heavily influenced by Deming's principles.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
ROFL! Ok! I still haven't decided if this is really simple logic or not.

We bought the truck with 170K miles on it. Not one code ever thrown.

We bring the truck home->I do some very simple routine maintenance to the 5.4L 3V.

I then get a brite idea while sleeping one night! I need to add some fuel additive to maybe clean the fuel system up some before my son starts driving it back and forth to college.

My first Additive was 8oz MMO-->{My fault for reading a few threads and becoming brain washed}. 8oz MMO then filled up with 30 gallons of fuel. 3 days later a CEL is thrown. Had the CEL scanned-->P0300. Slight Vibration @ Idle in Drive. Once in Park or Neutral-->No Vibration!

Drove the truck until we could add 15gallons of fresh fuel. Filled up. Drove for 20-50 miles CEL went off-->No more Vibration.

I didn't add any more additive until summer-->Not another CEL thrown. Total duration 4 months.

Then before summer oil change--I had another 3 IQ idea and added 2 bottles of Gumout HM Fuel System Cleaner 6oz per 21 gallons.
Not that much of an overdose. Almost the same result! Same Vibration! Cured the problem by adding 15 to 18 gallons fresh fuel. After a few days of highway driving the CEL cleared and vibration went away.

Went the entire summer without any additive and No CEL!

Before Winter! I did it again! I will not learn my lesson. Before oil change I added 15oz of Redline SI-1---->After a few days another CEL thrown. Once again. Filled up and drove a few days and CEL went away. Scanned once again before CEL went away--->P0300!

Now! after this I ran the whole winter without any additive in the fuel. Not one CEL thrown.

I did talk to Redline and was told to try 3oz every other fill up as a maintenance dose. I did this for a few months with never a CEL thrown. Hmmm!

Then once again-->My High IQ got the best of me and I added a whole bottle of Techron to 30 gallons of fresh fuel. In about 3 to 4 days---> CEL thrown.

We will go the whole summer with no additive just to test this one more final time. If no CEL? I will stick to 3oz of Redline every time he comes home from college.

I still have plans on replacing battery and all 8 coils and boots and have the fuel pressure checked. Before he leaves for college.

It's really hard to think any different cause when I can go 4 months to 6 months with no CEL and as soon as I added fuel additve and it mixes with the fuel good---> A CEL is thrown.

Until you got to the Techron part, the common denominator was lube in the additive.

But Techron is the only one of the 3 PEA cleaners that doesn't have an UCL, yet it still caused problems.

Do you have an underlying issue you are trying to solve?

Originally Posted By: EType
They are a different type of outfit.

They are heavily influenced by Deming's principles.

They also have a weekly radio show and podcasts, although I found the LA accents little hard to hear :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back