VW 502.00 Spec Oil & ARX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to do a complete ARX treatment on a friend's 02 Passat 1.8T. I am really not a VW fan, so I've never researched this subject - is there a DINO VW 502.00 spec oil that I can use during the cleaning & rinse ARX phases? Once complete, I plan to start the car on Amsoil AFL 5w40 European Car formula.

Thanks for any advice,
Steve

All 502.00 oils are synthetic, and are not optimal for Auto-RX treatments.

A 15W40 Diesel Oil (i.e. Rotella, Delvac 1300S, Delo 400) would be your best bet. They would provide equal or better wear protection compared to a petroleum 15W40 for the short Auto-RX clean/rinse cycles

And good choice on the post-RX oil; Amsoil 5W40 with a good filter, changed at 5K intervals, is your best bet for that engine.

I used Shell Rotella T Syn 5w40 for both phases in my 1.8T. Moderator of AutoRx forum indicated that this was a good choice for even the rinse phases and has produced good results.

Hey, I use the Amsoil AFL 5w40 in my 2001 Passat 1.8T and really like that oil. I tried German Castrol 0w30 (also a 502.00 rated oil) and found it to be a bit noisy for my liking, but since I have a supply (courtesy of hanging out here) I will be using it during the winter months and amsoil for the rest, with doses of LC20.

When I first bought the car I did 2 Auto-RX treatments and just used dino 5w-30 being that it was only in there for a 1.5k clean and a 2k rinse I didn't worry too much.

In case you do want to use the Shell Rotella T Syn 5w40, I was only able to find it @ Truck stops, just to let you know.

Its only re3quired on the 2nd rinse phase.
If you have 1500 miles left on the current oil just change the filter and add ARX.

Thanks for the tip - as it turns out, the Castrol GTX 5w30 ia exactly what I bought for the ARX phases. As I looked at Delo, Delvac, etc, I felt the 15w40 was just too thick for Maine's climate this time of year. Once through the ARX phases, I will move to Amsoil AFL 5w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back